.223 or .308 for Target Shooting?

Well, ColColt, if any scope's gonna allow a rifle to shoot the knee caps or even the big toes, off a fly, the rifle it's mounted on and the ammo in it needs to shot by someone no worse than caliber accuracy. If it's a 22 caliber rifle, all shots must fall inside .22 inches extreme spread.

So a decent 6BR rifle like you mentioned according to the above (which is identical to what I said in post 15), it's accuracy would be 6mm extreme spread. Most 6BR rifles shoot all their shots inside .24 inches; that's caliber accuracy for 6mm bores.

Is this what you mean?

I'm pitching my vote with DBC3- it seems a .243 could be a win/win for the OP. This post is giving me a big dose of the sads because I guess I'm going to have to throw away all of my Mueller scopes now.

NHSHOOTER-- Not to get off OP post here but, I have a 8-32 x 40 Muller. I love it. For $240.00 it was a great deal. Tracking is real good ( passed the box test ). Clarity on 32 power was still good. I am not a fan of the 40mm,but I am getting used to it. I like it enough that I am going to order another one for my 243 also.
Clicks are good and solid. I have it on my 308 right now and have well over 500 rounds with no issues. Holding zero since day one so far.

4runnerman Thanks for the report on the mueller scope, I too would be putting it on a 243...rifle is due in next week, scope to come soon after. Checking all my options.

Great thread going here guys!! Thanks for all the great replies so far!!
I ended up going to my LGS and picked up a Ruger American in .223. I am kind of Ruger guy being I already have two of their handguns. The range I will have access to has a 25, 50, and 100 yard distances. While The .308 would of covered more uses (ie hunting) I don't see myself rifle hunting any time soon when I already have the 12 gauge available. I think the .223 will suit me perfect for what I am trying to do. I was able to get it for $353 OTD which beat all the other near by LGS's.

Now I need to find a scope:-)

Mueller
Vortex
Redfield
Nikon

Hmmm......

Last edited:
Good for you. As for scopes-What you have listed there,myself I wold go with the Vortex. Very nice scopes.Nikon is also very nice,but I would take the Vortex over the Nikon.

NHSHOOTER- I have been very pleased with all of my Muellers- up to 5 so far. The 8-32x44's are shipping now with flip up sight covers which is a very nice upgrade from the sorry plastic cups with elastic connecting strings. I'm proud for the folks who are affluent enough to be able to spend $800+ on glass- but I've never spent more than $265 on a Mueller, and in honest side-by-side comparisons with Weavers, Redfields, Bushnell's, a first gen Tasco High Country, a Simmons Whitetail, and some no name chinese scope- I stand by the Mueller in clarity, durability, repeatability, and price.

500 yards is a looooooooong ways. .308 is nearly perfect for that.... *much* easier to get small groups from then even a tricked out 7-twist .223 rem.

If you'd said, no more than 300, then .223 rem.

Of course, I wouldn't limit myself to either one of those chamberings for long range (past 300 yards).

Scope: Fixed 20x42 from SWFA Super Sniper, or with a bigger budget, fixed Leupold or Sightron S3 target scope.

Congratulations

It is always nice to get a new rifle. You will enjoy shooting that 223 as the recoil is pleasureable. It is like a Swedish Massage for the shoulder.:)

Back