223 Load Data vs 556

Right. They did start with the 222 Rem, and by playing with powders, one of the developers got it to do what the military asked, but they realized they had got it well overpressure in the process of making that happen. The 222 Magnum was a little bigger than they wanted, so this is when they went to Remington to design a case that would give them more room for powder so they could get that same performance with a lower peak pressure. They didn't get the pressure as low as 222 Rem pressures, but they got it down some.

JohnKSa said:
Did you read the Luckygunner article? It confirms what the ammo companies and others have been telling us for many years. Namely, that 5.56 in a .223 chamber gives higher pressures than .223, even when measured the same way. In fact, they showed that the pressures could (and did) exceed SAAMI max in some cases. In one test, virtually every round was over SAAMI max pressure.

Yes. That's the article I was referring to (but didn't remember where to link to) that has the example of two 5.56 chambers bracketing the pressure produced by the same ammo in a 223 Chamber. Just scroll down below the pressure graphs to the blue bar graphs.

I will argue the pressure in that particular graph you put up is within norms for 223 Rem for two reasons. First, the SAAMI limits can be confusing, and the article uses the wrong one. The number we usually refer to as a maximum is the Maximum Average Pressure or MAP. That is 55,000 psi for 223 Rem as measured by the conformal transducer. But the MAP is only for freshly loaded cartridges. Once a lot# of cartridges is no longer fresh, the limit goes up to a different number called the Maximum Probable Sample Mean (MPSM). For 223 Remington, the MPSM is 58,500 psi. This is the value the M855 in the test should be compared to because it isn't freshly made by the time it gets to the user. Further, the SAAMI allows an extreme spread of 11,300 psi for 223 Remington, but using their 4% pressure SD allowance, the average spread for a sample size of ten would be ±3.078% or 56,699 psi to 60,711 psi. The extreme spread in the graph is half that, and 58,500 psi is still just under the average for that graph, but I will still argue the graph doesn't go over actual SAAMI specs for another reason: The measuring system.

As I mentioned in my post, when a SAAMI conformal transducer reads about 58,100 psi for a 223 Rem, a CIP Kistler transducer will read 62,366 psi. The SAAMI-type conformal transducers are odd with the 223 Rem. All the other rifle cartridges that have 52,000 CUP ratings read up in the 60-65,000 psi range on the conformal transducer, except the .223 Rem, it is down at 55,000 psi. Odd, but not the only cartridge with a narrow cylindrical wall it reads low with. The strain gauge system used in the article author's tests reads up where the CIP system does, being better on absolute value (assuming proper calibration). So it is expected to read around 7⅓% higher than the conformal transducer does with 223 Rem, as demonstrated in Dr. Brownell's work. So the 60,050 psi-ish average pressure on that graph would be expected to read an average of just under 56,000 psi on a conformal transducer gun, putting it within the MPSM SAAMI has for the maximum average value of a not-new lot, and that's why I don't think that graph actually represents being out of SAAMI spec for a no-longer-fresh box of ammo.

The last plot in the article is another matter. That has a SAAMI-type V&P barrel reading M855, 10% higher than it reads in a 5.56 chamber. It's showing a difference of about 9,000 psi, which can happen if you pick the right combination of 5.56 reamer and 223 reamer to cut the chambers. When the Army started enlarging parts of the M16 chamber for reliability, they only reported a 2,000 psi drop in peak pressure. If you use the GRT software's freebore calculator, you see that the 2,000 psi number agrees very well with the substitution of a 0.0566" 5.56 NATO freebore (PTG and JGS 5.56 NATO reamer dimensions) for a 0.025" 223 Rem freebore. But this is where it gets fuzzy. If you look at 5.56 reamer dimensions from Clymer and JGS and PTG, you find the Clymer 5.56 reamer is diameters are different from those of its 223 reamer, while the others are different pretty much only in neck diameter and freebore. A case expanded under pressure to the Clymer chamber dimensions will have almost 2 grains more water capacity at the pressure peak than one expanded into either a Clymer 223 chamber or a 5.56 chamber made using the JGS or PTG reamers. That added volume is responsible for about 8,000 psi drop on top of the drop due to the longer freebore. For the JGS and PTG reamer dimensions, the pressure difference is almost entirely due to the freebore and a little bit to the wider neck allowing a bit more propellant gas to bypass the bullet before it obturates the bore, and hence they only see about a 2,000 psi difference.

I don't have a 5.56 NATO chamber drawing to compare to the different reamers, and one would be welcome if someone has it.

"the MAP is only for freshly loaded cartridges. Once a lot# of cartridges is no longer fresh, the limit goes up"

If the pressure of older ammunition is consistently going higher, is that because there is a reason for it?

Is the older ammunition being affected by environmental effects such as heat and humidity changing the density and therefore energy storage per unit of volume of the gunpowder?

44AMP :
Actually, the earliest AR-15s were .222 Rem.

The story, as I've heard it (may or may not be entirely correct) is that at the time, the USAF got their small arms and support (parts, etc) from the Army. They had been using M1 carbines, and the Army was going to drop them.

Gen LeMay needed a new weapon for his SAC guards and general airbase security, and the M1 carbine was going away. He was introduced to Stoner and his new AR design, and thought it would be good for what he needed. LeMay showed it to JFK and he approved.

I don't doubt your version of the history.
Approximately 1964 my brother brought home a Colt AR-15. It was a 223. The serial number was 37XX .

Since then,there has generally been one in the house. I know the Air Force was looking at them. Army and Marines were using the M-14.

I don't know where the push came from originally to move down from 7.62 to a smaller round. It had been floated since just after the First World War in the Johnson .276 round, and Garand had a smaller cartridge at one point early in his development cycle. IIRC, some testing on pigs had shown long-for-caliber .257's were actually the most destructive on impact (tumbling), and that probably helped to get some of the caliber rethinking started. Top brass didn't buy it, apparently, plus, they had all this stockpiled 30-06 to use, so it didn't happen.

The project to adopt a smaller round started in 1957. In parallel with a request to Remington Arms and Fairchild Industries to design a new, smaller caliber cartridge, Armalite was invited to scale down the AR-10. Eugene Stoner tried 222 Rem in it, but it had to be loaded to proof pressure levels to meet the military ballistic criteria. Remington and Fairchild then came up with the 222 Rem Mag, but for reasons I read long ago but don't recall, it didn't cut it, so they redesigned and came up with the 222 Remington Special, which they later renamed the 223 Remington. They submitted the 223 Rem to SAAMI in 1962. Acceptance of the round by the military as M193 came in 1963. General LeMay first saw the prototype gun in 1959 or 1960. Soldiers had a much easier time learning to shoot it accurately than they could the M14 or even the M1 Carbine, so LeMay ordered 80,000 of them for the Air Force to replace M1 Carbines in 1961. Operational testing was completed in mid-1962, and that's when the military's recommendation to adopt the rifle overall came about. Actual adoption of the fully automatic version of the AR-15 as the M16 wasn't complete until 1964.

I shoot a lot of 223/5.56. Between the kid shooting the TAG match (he did well, 1st in the night shoot, 2nd in Rifle, got his Governor's 20, practice and RM3G, we went through 1500 rounds in the last 3 weeks.

While I've said failures are rare, working the long range stage, I saw more failures than I had in 20 years of shooting 3Gun. One blown gun (PMC factory ammo), 2 with extractor failures, 2 with comp baffle strikes, several case failures. Saw some double and triple feeds too. The average shooter shot about 80 rounds in about 300 seconds.

The issue started in the 1940s. Several projects were undeway during the war to create a smaller, easier to use BAR/m1 garand weapon. The result was M-14.

However the full auto function was not that easy to use for small sized troops, so they started looking at smaller calibers. However the M-16 wasnt chosen until a certain military officer in charge of procurement was promised a really lucrative 100$+ per year salary if he chose a certain automatic rifle from Colt.

The 1903/1918 guns were from a time of trenches and no mans land.
Tactics changed.
Germans and Russians developed the assault rifle. EtcEtc. Airplanes,

Troops who can be seen at 300 yds learn quick get cover or get hit.

I'm not a Veteran so I must be humble with my opinion . Having ammo is a good thing. Steel mags of 308 or 30-06?

Remember,today a LOT of situations that used to be handled via Purple Hearts
are now resolved with A-10 s or Apaches or 120 mm mortars etc,
Combined arms.
And the Sniper or designated marksman fills a niche.

A brother was a SF medic in I-Corps 1968. He typically carried a WW-2 BAR belt holding 24 magazines . Situations vary,but he also carried his medic gear,linked 7,62,etc, The CIDG tended to not be reliable. More round count was a good thing. It bought some time.

I'm not too worried about 5.56 vs 277 vs 6mm, etc. IIRC,if you include magazine weight,5.56 ,might be 1/3 the weight of 7.62 NATO. I'd prefer three times as much ammo,even if it is prairie dog ammo. I believe it would make me a casualty if it hit me.

No matter what the cartridge is, someone will bellyache. How about a 257 Grendel? Just kidding.

However the full auto function was not that easy to use for small sized troops, so they started looking at smaller calibers. However the M-16 wasnt chosen until a certain military officer in charge of procurement was promised a really lucrative 100$+ per year salary if he chose a certain automatic rifle from Colt.

Wonderful story. Having personally seen "small size troops" humping and shooting those 18lb BARs (plus weight of loaded mags) and keeping up with the other guys of all sizes, I take leave to doubt their "difficulty" was what led the military to investigate smaller caliber rounds.

As to the second part, got any proof?? What "officer"?? Where... when.??
Certainly makes a believable tale, corrupt officer taking a bribe payoff to choose a certain automatic rifle from a certain company, but is there any proof?? Without any verifiable details, tis just another story among many.

Did you read the Luckygunner article? It confirms what the ammo companies and others have been telling us for many years. Namely that 5.56 in a .223 chamber, gives higher pressures than .223, even when measured the same way. In fact, they showed that the pressures could (and did) exceed SAAMI max in some cases. In one test, virtually every round was over SAAMI max pressure.
I didn't read the article. But if I understand the issue correctly, a 223 tested in a 223 chamber with the same measurement system will be the same pressure as a 5.56 when tested in a 5.56 chamber. Not necessarily true when testing both cartridges in the same chamber. But given the variances in chambers, I suppose it could happen.
As far as the loads being over max SAAMI pressure.....that is a maximum average pressure limit. If half the loads in a lot shoot 50,000 psi then the other half can shoot 60,000 and still meet the limit. I don't see here how many rounds were tested to get the results. But it takes a fair amount to rule out statistical errors.

An early post in this discussion mentioned the Wylde chamber. I thought the whole point of the Wylde chamber was that it was sort of a hybrid between .223 Remington and 5.56x45, and could/would safely fire either cartridge.

If some 5.56x45 NATO won't chamber in a Wylde chamber, then what's the Wylde chamber and why would anyone use it?

An early post in this discussion mentioned the Wylde chamber. I thought the whole point of the Wylde chamber was that it was sort of a hybrid between .223 Remington and 5.56x45, and could/would safely fire either cartridge.

If some 5.56x45 NATO won't chamber in a Wylde chamber, then what's the Wylde chamber and why would anyone use it?

That is the point of the Wylde chamber, plus better accuracy.

If a 5.56x45 Nato cartridge won't chamber, something is very wrong.

I thought the whole point of the Wylde chamber was that it was sort of a hybrid between .223 Remington and 5.56x45, and could/would safely fire either cartridge.

Either chamber can SAFELY FIRE BOTH cartridges.

what's the Wylde chamber and why would anyone use it?

It is marketed as a "hybrid" chamber, safe to shoot both .223 REM and 5.56x45mm NATO in.

since people are buying them, it is making money for the owner(s) of the design, so, yay, capitalism at work, a good thing, just like pet rocks and several other things over the years.

Many people bought into the hype that turned a difference in reported pressures into an UNSAFE thing, and that since it was unsafe, it was dangerous, and that scared people who knew no better, and so they bought the "solution" to a "problem" created by the firearms equivalent of Chicken Little.

Both rounds have been in use for going on, or slightly over 60 years. IF firing one in a chamber marked for the other were actually dangerous, there should be volumes of recorded, verified instances of damaged guns and injured shooters. Such information does not seem to exist.

are you willing to believe there is/was some conspiracy to hide that information, and only fairly recent "reporting" on UTube or other internet sources is telling us the "truth"???? :rolleyes:

Different? yes, the numbers are. Outside of someone's working pressure standards??? Apparently, some are, slightly. Dangerous? I don't see it.

What ever happened to the common sense approach that says "if a particular load isn't suitable in your particular gun, simply don't use it"????

Either chamber can SAFELY FIRE BOTH cartridges.

It is marketed as a "hybrid" chamber, safe to shoot both .223 REM and 5.56x45mm NATO in.

since people are buying them, it is making money for the owner(s) of the design, so, yay, capitalism at work, a good thing, just like pet rocks and several other things over the years.

Many people bought into the hype that turned a difference in reported pressures into an UNSAFE thing, and that since it was unsafe, it was dangerous, and that scared people who knew no better, and so they bought the "solution" to a "problem" created by the firearms equivalent of Chicken Little.

Both rounds have been in use for going on, or slightly over 60 years. IF firing one in a chamber marked for the other were actually dangerous, there should be volumes of recorded, verified instances of damaged guns and injured shooters. Such information does not seem to exist.

are you willing to believe there is/was some conspiracy to hide that information, and only fairly recent "reporting" on UTube or other internet sources is telling us the "truth"???? :rolleyes:

Different? yes, the numbers are. Outside of someone's working pressure standards??? Apparently, some are, slightly. Dangerous? I don't see it.

What ever happened to the common sense approach that says "if a particular load isn't suitable in your particular gun, simply don't use it"????

So much error, but lets at least dismiss your "anti-capitalism" theory.

NO-ONE is making any more or less money off of Wylde Chambers. The reamers cost the same as the .223Rem and the 5.56 Nato Reamers. There is no royalty either.

But, since you seem to know so much about how, and why barrel makers do what they do, you should let them all know how wrong they are, as well as SAAMI. :eek:

I've done a bit more digging.

If you look at the dimensional differences in the reamer brands, they jump out, but they are all a little different and all with mods specified by one designer or another. And THIS IS KEY: those are all reamers for chambering in actual shooter's rifles, NOT VELOCITY AND PRESSURE TEST BARRELS. But the pressure production ammunition is made to IS DETERMINED IN VELOCITY AND PRESSURE TEST BARRELS, and not in production nor even custom shooter's rifles. So to know how the ammunition will behave, we actually have to compare a 223 Remington V&P barrel chamber. How different are they?

I don't know what the difference between the V&P barrels for 5.56 NATO as used by Lake City and those as used in Europe may or may not be. The one thing in the Lucky Gunner article that JohnKSa linked to that really gets your attention is the 10% pressure difference reported at the end for two test barrels. It is significantly greater than the 2,000 psi difference that the throat lengths account for and that the U.S. military reported in the mid-1960s (sorry, I cannot find a reference for that), but I did dig up a NATO document with the pressure and test barrel drawing. I have attached it and added conversions of the metric to inches in red, though SAAMI has millimeters in parentheses in their drawings, so they are easy to compare either way. Here is a surprise: Unlike the rifle chamber reamer drawing, the SAAMI V&P barrel chamber in the SAAMI standard (page 264/276 as numbered by SAAMI and counted by Acrobat, respectively; not the rifle chamber dimensions on page 68/80) and the NATO V&P barrel chamber don't have any differences in diameters or lengths until you get a little over halfway up the shoulder, at which point, the NATO V&P test chamber's shoulder switches to half the shoulder angle rather than using the shoulder/neck corner radius that SAAMI uses. After that, at the case mouth and neck, there is, again, no difference in diameters. My CAD software puts the difference in expanded case capacity during firing at 0.06 grains of water. It's enough to drop pressure by about 260 psi, according to the interior ballistics programs.

So, what were the chambers like in the test barrels reported by lucky gunner? I don't know. But based on the NATO test barrel chamber drawing, I would expect no more than about a 2000 psi difference in the same rounds fired in test guns. I will see if I can contact the author of the LG article and find out anything more.

Attachments

My understanding might be wrong.

Generally, a pure 223 chamber /barrel will have a slower twist to shoot varmint weight bullets at higher velocity. Lighter bullets ogive contact rifling with a shorter throat. Folks get anal about the jump to rifling being the holy grail of accuracy.

Chambers leaning toward diametrically "tight" tolerance wise are typically regarded as more accurate.

The 5,56 battle rifle chamber has a priority toward function.It can give up 1/2 MOA accuracy to run full auto with a bit of rice paddy or calcium carbonate in the chamber. Resuppy ammo booted from aircraft might get bent. A looser chamber is more forgiving.
The military has penetration as a priority. That leads to longer,heavier bullets.

Most of us know jamming the ogive into the rifling boosts pressure. So not only do we need a loose military chamber,we need a long throat.

Its some real hard to grasp rocket science, I know..

But here is a ringer that messes with "either" and "or" thinking!! Options often come in odd numbers!!

Those competition guys are always looking for a way to cheat! Somewhere over a barley pop a couple of them discussed a tight,223 grade "match" chamber reamer with a longer throat for heavier bullets.....HMMMM!

And they did not forget. Then they talked to a tool and cutter grinder guy about making a reamer!! Well,the reamer grinder guy says "Thats a wild idea!! It might work! "

So he wrote on the sketch "That Wylde Reamer" because spelling was not his strong suit.

That may not be right, but I figure if I'm making a windy country longer range prairie dog gun and figure on shooting 75 gr bullets I'll order a Wylde chamber and load something just over 23 gr of RE-15. If I push the pressure just a little too far....DARN IT !! I have to by new brass because my primer pockets got loose!! I hate that!! Don't push too far.

Ain't any rice paddies near the prairie dogs and I don't use filthy powder and I'm semi-auto only.

I just don't think its all that hard to understand.

Last edited:
I just don't think its all that hard to understand.
Nope. It's very easy to understand. We have ammo companies who know all about measuring pressure telling us flat out that they load 5.56 to higher pressures than .223. We have SAAMI who literally writes the book on pressure measurement telling us that it's not recommended. The effects of chamber differences on pressure are straightforward. You can find anecdotal evidence of people who have run into exactly the kind of issues that the mismatch is expected to cause when they ignore the warnings--especially in the presence of other contributors. Not always, of course, since it's not a massive pressure difference and there are variations in how ammo is loaded and chambers are cut.

But if one prefers not to accept any of that and needs some rationale for rejecting it, then it gets hard to understand.

Nope. It's very easy to understand. We have ammo companies who know all about measuring pressure telling us flat out that they load 5.56 to higher pressures than .223. We have SAAMI who literally writes the book on pressure measurement telling us that it's not recommended. The effects of chamber differences on pressure are straightforward. You can find anecdotal evidence of people who have run into exactly the kind of issues that the mismatch is expected to cause when they ignore the warnings--especially in the presence of other contributors. Not always, of course, since it's not a massive pressure difference and there are variations in how ammo is loaded and chambers are cut.

But if one prefers not to accept any of that and needs some rationale for rejecting it, then it gets hard to understand.

100%

But we still have folks that don't get it and refuse to understand it...then give advice based on their lack of understanding.

But we still have folks that don't get it and refuse to understand it...then give advice based on their lack of understanding

Wait….what ? Are you saying people on the internet don’t always know what they are saying ? Im shocked, SHOCKED I tell you ! :-)

Last edited:
Back