223 Limit

I don't have it in front of me, but I believe the Lyman 49th Edition puts the max at 27.1 for Varget. The Hogdon/IMR/Winchester site puts it at 27.5gr.

At 26.5, I get just the faintest signs of beginnings of flattened primers (looks just like the factory load primers after firing). I would not go above that with the components I use. The Privi Partizan brass is right up there in weight with Lake City, and a tenth or two of a grain heavier on average than Winchester brass- so it's my thinking that I'm stuffing it iinto a smaller space. I tend to think that with Remington or Federal/FC brass- the beginnings of those flat primers might not be so evident.

I just happen to have the 49th edition lyman book in front of me and its say's 27.8+ for varget as a max for 55gr. spt. You were pretty close 10-96. I wish I could remember recipes like that but I just starting out myself.::)

Once you find that one special load that just works for you in such a way that you really don't see any reason to look further- it'll stick in your memory. Even though that recipe is stuck for me, I still go back and verify my lil black book before I start the process.

I've always wondered about that max load (even if I couldn't remember what it was exactly). With my brass, the powder collumn usually ends up in the bottm 1/3 of the neck. What I wonder is, what kind of tamping and stomping would it require to get all of those 27.8grs down in that sucker??? Talk about a heavy compression!

And, I wonder how safe it would be to get anywhere close to that? Once I started working up from about 10% above minimum and found a load that gave me sub 1/2" groups- I didn't even try to go any further.

Back