223 bullet for deer and/or pig

I've been hunting hogs with my AR for over 5 years. During that time I've tried everything from nosler partitions that my friend loaded, Federal 62gr SP, Hornady 55gr poly tip, hornady 55gr sp, Devil Green Tip FMJ, Black Hills ammo etc.

My hands down favorite load for deer and hogs turned out to be the 55gr DRT ammunition. I have yet to shoot a hog or deer and have it run off. They have always dropped with in a few yards. I actually use the DRT ammo in my .308 for longer range hunting. This past season I took a shot on a buck at 227yds and hit him just below the chest in the front leg. The bullet fragmented as it was supposed to do and the fragments took out his heart. He dropped a few yards away. I'm convinced that if I had used a traditional bullet, I would have broken his leg and he would have run far far away. I pulled the shot and the poor shot placement was my fault entirely. That being said, the DRT ammo does its job.

So far I've used 2 different bullets to take deer with my .223. Three years ago I shot an 8 point buck standing broadside at 110 yards with a Hornady 75g bthp the shot went through both lungs and the large arteries on top of the heart, broke the far side shoulder, and was lodged under the skin on the far side of the deer. He ran 50 yards and dropped dead. The next year I shot a 7 point at 115 yards with a Fusion 62g bullet. The deer was facing me at a slight angle. The bullet clipped the front of the near side lung, put a quarter size hole through the heart and clipped the back of the far side lung. Once again the deer ran 50 yards and fell dead. The Hornady bullet seemed to be more destructive without coming up short on penetration and is what I'm using this year.

Last edited:
Powder Smoke, I've had similar results with the Federal 62gr Soft Point. I took a buck at about 90yds with one. It was a solid broadside shot, the bullet entered through his shoulder, took out his heart and both lungs. He stumbled about 15yds before piling up. I found the bullet balled under the skin on his far side. I couldn't have been happier.

DRT keyholes at 25.in my Daewoo K2 though conventional 55 it's fine. Is it all copper and longer or something?

Back