223 Bolt action Rifle

Savage is offering a $50.00 rebate on their Axis line .. Walmart may carry there wooden stock version with a accu- trigger for 344.00 before rebate .. But the rebate ends at the end of the month..
Ive owned several buget rifles .. None in the realm of quality of my Win model 70 ....
But those Axis 2 ( Accutrigger ) shoot well .. and now they have a wooden stock ..
For myself . .. A handy .223 carbine would have a 16 to 18 inch barrel lightweight .. youth stocked .. and would sport a scout scope set up ..
Axis 2, Ruger American , Howa ..Mosseberg ...all accurate well made , and shoot straight...

Last edited:
HOWA
Economical, accurate, and nice looking(vs the uber ugly AXIS)

Regarding buying a used, cheap rifle(of any make):the ones I've seen on the rack look about like what you'd expect a used, price point rifle to look like. Beat to snot, rusted, scarred, and god only knows if the bore has ever bean cleaned or if that "stuff" you see in the bore is fouling or rust. A cheap gun bought by someone who doesn't give a snit what it looks like or doesn't know any better.

I have handled David's Savage and it is a beautiful rifle. I am thinking that will be my next rifle.
David what scope do you have on it ?

I had to look Its a Pentax Pioneer 4.5-14 X 42.

Great shooting rifle.

David

The Remington 783 never gets any love but mine is really surprising for the price. It has a smooth adjustable trigger, a smooth action and comes in cheaper than the Savage Axis. I think Remington has a rebate going on as well. The scope that comes with it isn't half bad either.
The Tikka is awesome and I have one in 6.5 x 55 but OP said he wanted inexpensive.

Bolt action .223

I currently have two, a bull barreled 24" Howa 1500 and a 22" Savage 340 E. both are very accurate rifles. The Howa isn't one that I would pick to walk around with but I suspect that a 1500 with a sporter tapered barrel would be just as accurate as my bull barrel. My 340, although accurate, would be even more so if it had a better trigger; very heavy. I had a pre-accutrigger long action Savage 110 that had the blind magazine blocked to fit the short .223 cartridges, it fed well and was also very accurate but I ended up grading it to a friend for a Colt Challenger and some cash on his end.

Long story short, I highly recommend the Howa 1500 rifles.

All of the guns mentioned are good choices. Nobody can tell you what gun you will like. You will have to handle them and decide which fits you best. Not sure what price range you seek or what all the various guns cost but I can show you my choice in a 223 bolt gun.

I like the "Mini Mauser" (although not a true Mauser design) because it is scaled for the smaller cartridge.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

After 25 years (Wow, 25 years?) of shooting this one I bought another in a different style.

standard.jpg

hey SaxonPig,,,,,, the mini mauser is interesting, nice looking....... what price does it run you, are they easy to find ?

The Zastava Mini Mauser is not a true Mauser design because it is push feed. It has nothing to do with scale.

To the OP. At the lowest price tier I'd take a Mossberg Patriot over a RAR, Axis, 783, etc. Stepping up some I'd be happy with a Zastava, CZ 527 or Howa. Go up a little more and a Vanguard or Tikka would be nice.

ok, I think I have narrowed it down to either a used Howa 1500 /w scope package .223 for $450.00+tax or a brand new Ruger American Ranch 223/5.56 rifle for $406.00+tax, would have to get a scope.........
What do you think,,,??
Howa has hardly been shot......

I just bought a RAR .223 w/Sig Wiskey3 scope. Plinking and target shooting out to 500 yards I hope, but mostly 300 yards I think. So I'm looking for ammo suggestions, bullet weight and ammo brands for longer range .223 shooting. The RAR has a 22" barrel with a 1/8 twist.

I plan to start reloading eventually, but at least at first it will be bulk ammo from someplace like Freedom. Thanks

Back