223 Bolt action Rifle

gmoney

Ok, I am wanting to buy an Inexpensive 223 Bolt action rifle , would love some suggestions or thoughts... Actually been looking at some of the package deals where they come with a simple scope already mounted and bore sighted. A couple I have been looking at are the Savage Axis XP and the Mossberg MVP rifles...... Any other suggestions would be appreciated....!

I would pitch my vote for the Mossberg. I had one and got talked out of it for some ignernt reason I can't fully grasp at the moment. It was a darn good rifle. The only experience I had with the Axis wasn't a good one. A shooting buddy of mine had one in .308 and the flexibility of the stock, inability to do much for bedding and stiffening the stock just wasn't something I could warm up to. We never tried reloads, but even with Federal Gold Medal, we couldn't ever get better than a 2.75" 5 shot group at 100yds.

Not sure what the budget is but I really want a Howa rifle chambered in .223, usually can be had between $500-600 new.

CZ 527 would be a solid choice too. I have one in 7.62x39 and it's an awesome rifle.

Neither can beat the price if an axis however.

I have been looking at the CZ 527 rifles...... nice setup, would like to have sights on the rifle, can add scope if I want ......
The Mossberg MVP Patrol rifles come with sights..... and even a version with the scope already on it also.....

Ruger American with the Vortex scope is very nice ....... but I don't believe it is setup for the 223/556 combo..... I really want to be able to shoot 556 nato rounds through it also

I bought a Savage model 25 walking varmint er with a thumb hole stock. I love it. I have been shooting it for 2 years in the 100 yard offhand rifle match. It shoots cheap ball into an inch @ 100 and handloads into 1/2 inch. My cost $587.00.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

I don't believe I've heard anything good or bad about the Thompson- looks interesting though. I'll second the sentiments about the CZ line, I have 2 in .223 and 1 in 7.62x39- they are awesome with the single set triggers.

Howa Rifles

gmoney, have you considered a Howa rifle? They considered to be very good rifles where I come from, and I believe as of 2016 they've been making them with 1:9 Twist as well.

CZ 527 would be a solid choice too.

Completely agree with Kvon2, a couple of the guys at my local range use the 527. IMHO they're amazing, and I'm hopefully gonna own one myself some day.

A couple of guys have mentioned Tikka, sako and savage; I've heard great things about all these but unfortunately have no experience of any of them expect handling in a gun store. Try before you buy brother! Most importantly, enjoy the journey to choosing a .223 :)

Peace,
Quartermaster

The Ruger Americans are great. They keep multiplying in my safe. I started with a 223 compact when they 1st came out. I wanted a shorter barrel and this was before the Ranch rifle came out. It would be my choice if buying now. My brother bought the Ranch which is labeled 5.56/223. But I've put more 5.56 ammo through my 223 than 223 ammo. This is a non-issue in a bolt gun

I liked it well enough to buy the Predator in 308. Both have proven to be the most accurate rifles in my safes and both were under $400. About 3 weeks ago I found a deal on a Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor for $389 OTD. Which I'm really liking BTW.

With quality hunting or target ammo, or my reloads, I've not shot a 3 or 5 shot group that exceeded 1 MOA with any of them. Getting 1/2-3/4 MOA is common. With cheaper bulk ammo groups open up somewhat, but that isn't the fault of the rifle.

Both the Predator and Ranch rifles are threaded for a suppressor or a flash hider and have heavier contour barrels for better accuracy. If you want to squeeze more speed out of the 223 round go with the Predator with 22" barrel. If not the 16" Ranch rifle is a handy little rifle. And if it makes you feel better it is stamped 5.56/223.

http://ruger.com/products/americanRifle/overview.html

I have handled David's Savage and it is a beautiful rifle. I am thinking that will be my next rifle.
David what scope do you have on it ?

I saw a nice Sako Deluxe at the show at what seemed to be bargain priced. Appears to be of the Abu Garcia distrbution version, 70,s. But what kills the attraction like a Weatherby was the cartridge chambering. Price was $500 and the caliber was 222 magnum. Would it be worth rechambering to 223?

CZ 527 has open sights, if you get the right model.

cz-usa-cz-527-carbine-500x333.png

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem/

I have the Varmint.

CZ527_HANDLOADS.png

The CZ 527 223 is fine for 5.56 ammo, not just my experience, but CZ stands by it, it will not void your warranty.

Cz527 carbine is one of the nicest handling rifles It's perfectly balanced and compact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back