223 and hogs?

93.413 caliber
Obviously not familiar with caliber designations.
A "caliber" is an archaic unit of measure for designating the diameter of holes, where 1/100th of an inch is 1 "caliber".
.01" = 1 caliber
.224" = 22 caliber
.257" = 25 caliber
.308" = 30 caliber
.500" = 50 caliber
et cetera, ad infinitum.

So a truck 50" wide would be roughly 5000 caliber, if you chose to use the measurement of the cab width.

Obviously not familiar with caliber designations.
A "caliber" is an archaic unit of measure for designating the diameter of holes, where 1/100th of an inch is 1 "caliber".
.01" = 1 caliber
.224" = 22 caliber
.257" = 25 caliber
.308" = 30 caliber
.500" = 50 caliber
et cetera, ad infinitum.

So a truck 50" wide would be roughly 5000 caliber, if you chose to use the measurement of the cab width.

I disagree, unless you refer to your weapons as "point" 50 caliber. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/caliber "The diameter of the bore of a firearm, usually shown in hundredths or thousandths of an inch and expressed in writing or print in terms of a decimal fraction: .45 caliber.
c. The diameter of a large projectile, such as an artillery shell, measured in millimeters or in inches."

also, a U.S. Army training manual from the Army Marksmanship Unit which refers to "caliber .22," "caliber .38," and "caliber .45" on page 11, and again on pages 12, 14, 27, 93, and 94. Pages 93 and 94 also refer to a no decimal "22 caliber long rifle" and a no decimal "22 short," respectively, so it appears they are interchangeable in writing. http://www.saveourguns.com/Ar_Marks_Un_Pistol_Train_Guide.pdf

if the truck were 50" corner to diagonal corner, it would be 50.0 caliber, as opposed to .50 caliber. and, as it's 50" wide and 76" tall, the caliber will be different. if you made a circle touching two corners the circle's diameter would be 93 inches and some change, hence 93.413 caliber.

parkerd,

Yes, a 223 in the right spot will put a large hog down quickly. How far will be determined by your marksmanship. The target (brain) will be like a small semi-flattened orange.

With all this rain in your area hogs will be on the move. They move mostly at night so night hunt will be most productive. In Florida you can hunt with rifle and light at night on provate property without any special permit requirements.

I suggest you find a spot with lots of hog tracks and then bait them with corn mash. Put some corn mash in a paint can with some holes on top and hang it up about 5 feet off the ground. You want to get the smell to travel out... sorta like chumming when out fishing.

Find a spot 25-50 yards away above the ground and wait. When you see/hear the hogs get ready to shoot and then light them up.

I usually put some corn on the ground a few days before each day to get them attracted to the spot for a good result. I've heard(not yet tested) that the deer attractant "C'mere deer"(spelling?) works really well but I'm not sure. I'd say if you're skilled with the rifle and comfortable behind it you will have more trouble dragging it to your truck. Just imagine a big strip of bacon through the scope :)

The 223 will kill 'A HOG'....If a dozen show..good luck....I will be hunting in the morning with a 30-06..180 gr. bullets....In a semi auto with 6 quick firing rounds..it can do major damage....my 2 cents

Back