223 and hogs?

Yep this is one of my favorite debates.

But yes the 223 kills pigs quickly. I would back down from the ear a couple of inches about 45deg.

The hydrostatic shock of the high velocity round will lock the pig down. Of course, there's some range limitations.

Depends a lot on your skill at hitting inside a two-inch circle at whatever distance. And that's from some sort of field position; improvised rest, whatever...

people have killed hogs with pellet guns. It is all about shot placement. Dont under estimate the .223 my friend.

.22 Hornet

I knew two fellas who hog hunted for the Gov't in a National Park. The hogs were declared pests and destroying sensitive flora in same. These guys were both locals, and great shots and woodsmen. Their rifle of choice was the .22 Hornet and they shot hogs high in the neck/base of ear as has been described. INterestingly, they handloaded their Hornets with heavier than normal slugs, though I can't recall bullet weight I'm inclined to say 50-55 grains. These boys killed a slew of hogs.

Based on that, the .223 is more of the same thing and would do fine with same skill and ability.

The gov't eventually got involved and issued stainless 30-06's, which my pal immediately declared as to long and heavy, and the ammo too heavy as well.

I'd have to guess that you could go a little more than 100, but you would have to ask an expert lol. I've killed scores at less than 100 with no problems.

Resist the temptation for the head shot, even with a 30 cal or something. The brain is very small so, your head shot may end up being a face shot.

If they don't suspect any trouble or preoccupied with rooting, they present pretty easy shots. Once the running and mayhem begins, not so easy lol.

Thanks everyone I want to do some hog hunting this summer and wanted a few pointers/tips. Do any of you use bait? It's about 50 acres 2 years ago my dad killed a 250lb sow we had to drag that stupid thing over 400 yards... And theres alot on the property. So what are some other good tips and such?

Thanks,Parker

You can bait them. But seems like they were gonna go to that place anyhow. I just use bait in a trap.

To gun hunt them, I usually just find out where they go to do their damage at night or morning and wait them out. They tend to follow a routine until disturbed.

A .22 Short in just the right place would probably kill a hog cleanly, the question is how far away and how easily you can hit just the right place.

The bait really isn't to get the hogs into the area. It is more to get them to be there when you are there. Hogs are mainly nocturnal - especially when it is hot (they can actually get sunburned). To get the hogs on the land when it is shooting light, a timed feeder really does help. Set it to go off right about 1st shooting light and within a few weeks they'll get used to comming to it. If they don't eat it, the squirrels, coons, and turkeys will have everything cleaned off before it gets dark so the hogs will soon learn to be the first to the feeder.

What Doyle said about night..........especially right now.

Louann and I have been in the woods a lot lately ( fixing roads, ditches & fire lines ) and are seeing deer every time, in the middle of the day.

Hogs.......only seeing tracks.

As for the .223......I'm not a good shot and therefore only take close shots and I like a little more bullet.....but I know of nore than one stand hunter who uses it without a problem.

Do keep in mind this time of year it's a good idea to have coolers and ice on hand. Don't want to let the best meat in our woods go bad after you go through all the sweat and bug bites to get it.

What caliber does an f250 work out to?... Those kill them pretty quick also lol

2011 Ford F150, regular 4x4, height 76, width 50, assuming hypotenuse is congruent with diameter if the truck was round...

93.413 caliber

hope it's registered! :D

edit: crap, you said F250. i'm not doing the math again, my phone doesn't have a square-root button. I just kept squaring things until it matched up.

Last edited:
Back