.223 62grain FMJ

Kram said:
Its 22grains of 4064 and a 62grain SS109 FMJ. I'm using the X-treme 62gr FMJ. 2747fps. I'm not sure that's fast enough

I see that is also Lyman's starting load and that it is only 0.1 grains above Hodgdon's starting load, so you should be fine with it.

As you are not using the steel penetrator, you apparently are not trying to meet the NATO 350-yard helmet penetration standard, so, yes, it is fast enough.

What do I think of steel core bullets? Potentially some problems. In addition to damaging steel targets and backstops, they can hit stones and make sparks outdoors that have started fires. The steel makes a third part of the bullet with significant mass. Every time you add a part, you create another opportunity to move the center of the bullet mass off-axis, which opens groups up. I don't have any data about them, though, to provide a sense of how much of a factor this is in what you buy today. The flat base 168-grain AP bullets in 30-06 during WWII actually had a good accuracy reputation, I am told. I have no convenient way to verify it. But I do know that your average Sierra or Berger match bullet is going to outshoot the Lake City bullets. I have no experience with how Xtreme bullets compare to either one.

Back