.222 Remington--any have rifle for it?

.222 rem 722 first year, ex shooter. 6x47 rem 40XB,uses .222 rem mag brass and also a ex shooter. i bought enough brass for a while (200 rounds of factory unprimed brass) for each. eastbank.

I still have my SAKO 222 from the early 80s.
I made a LOT of money killing coyote with that rifle back then.
Now days I usually use an AR 15, but I get out the "old love of my life" now and then and I still can hit very well with it.
Coyotes and foxes are still in a lot of danger when I have it handy.

I got a 10" Octagon T/C Conteder barrel...

and would love to find a 21" carbine barrel and have at the coyotes around here i SE Michigan.

My Savage M24 was a .223 over 20. Rifle barrel didn't shoot worth beans. Weren't many .222's around in the late 70's/early 80's up here though. No .222 Mags at all.

I have a Rem 700 BDL (70's vintage) in 222 and it gets used frequently. I do handload mostly for it but I can find factory loads for it most places that I look.

Having a stock of about 500 cases for it means that I'll never have to worry about running out of ammo. I split maybe 3 cases a year and have to throw them out.

also have a savage 840. 23inch barrel, birch stock, weaver side mount, k4 scope. the 222 is still the one to have. bob

It seems the 222 is staging a come back. I think there has been a slow evolution where now most of the bolt action 223 rifles are 556 compatable and have a 1:9 or 1:8 or faster twist. There is essentially no 223 with 1:12 twist for varmint shooting made today. The enablers can pretend it does not matter, but knowledgeable shooters know better.

The 223/556 can do amazing things with 75 grain bullets and 1:8 but that leaves a void filled by the 222. A more popular alternative is the 204 ruger. And for more is better, we still have the 22-250.

Today, you use the ballistic twin 222 with 1:12 (or 14? I dont know)twist and optimum accuracy with 45-50 grain bullets for blasting the little stuff. While not common, there are a couple builders making rifles. There are 1000's of great old used guns turning up one the dealer shelves. The buyers are purchasing factory ammo.

I have the best of both worlds with a pair of 223 with 12 twist before the sea change. Moving forward, that is not a practical option.

Have one in a Remington Model 788 great little rifle very accurate.
Has Vortex 4x16 30mm scope good combo
Roc1

It seems the 222 is staging a come back. I think there has been a slow evolution where now most of the bolt action 223 rifles are 556 compatable and have a 1:9 or 1:8 or faster twist. There is essentially no 223 with 1:12 twist for varmint shooting made today. The enablers can pretend it does not matter, but knowledgeable shooters know better.

Amen! 7 years ago I bought a Savage 10fp in .223 with a 9 twist when I couldn't find a .222. I wanted it for groundhog hunting where I live. It was extremely accurate with the 69 gr SMK bullets putting 5 shots into a 1/4". Problem was I wanted to shoot 50gr and 55gr bullets. Accuracy was 3/4" with those bullets. I laugh when someone says their fast twist .223 shoots light bullets as well as the heavy ones, mine certainly wouldn't. Ended up selling the rifle and buying a .22-250.

I have a 1955 vintage Remington 722 in 222 caliber. I bought the gun about 5 years ago, and it was in new in the box condition. I have owned several 223, and I still have a 788 in 223, but there is something sweet about the 222, and it's why I got it. Very accurate! Ammo isn't as common as 223, but any real gun store will carry 222, so don't worry about finding factory 222 ammo. It's a different story than 222 magnum cause it's obsolete. If you get one of these, you will need to by brass, and hand load. I like most 22 center fire calibers, but I like the 222 the best.

I have a custom 222 with a Remington 700 short action (from a 222 ADL). It has a custom 19 inch "stepped down" barrel and Circassian walnut stock. I have a Swarovski 1-6 scope on it. It makes a dandy turkey rifle with Berger target hand loads. :)

Back