.222 Remington--any have rifle for it?

UncleEd

A posting over in the 1911 Forum got me to thinking.

Back in the late 1970s or early 80s I had a bolt rifle in .223 and could barely find any on store shelves. Today, of course, it's as common as 9 mm.

But THE round was .222 Remington or the .222 Magnum. I see at Midway only one listing for the magnum and it's $69 for a box of 50.

So I'm wondering, who still uses or has in active use a .222 or .222 Magnum?

I once had a Savage over and under rifle shotgun combination with the .222 over a 20 gauge.
Like many things we buy, I never found an actual use for it, so it got sold.
And it wasn't an easy sell, either.
Even back then, decades ago, .222 ammo was hard to find.
Not expensive so much as unpopular, at least in our area.
The over under combination was more popular and useful in .22 rimfire over 20 gauge, it seemed.

I have a Savage 24V-A .222 / 20 ga O/U. I inherited it along with a few other guns from my grandfather around 1980. I shot it once (the 222), and it's been put away ever since.

Have one of each - a Remington 722 in 222 Mag, and a Remington 725 in 222. The 725 was handed down from my Dad, and is a nice shooting gun & round. Inherited the 722 and have never shot it due to it's a bit of a odd ball round due to brass not being easy to find. Have never seen any loaded 222Mag ammo.

I have half of a remington 788 in 222 on the wall of my reloading bench. The bore is beautiful. I have every intention of rebuilding it and shooting it. Alot.

You are right though, it has most definitely become more obscure with 223 become so prevalent.

love the triple deuce

I have a first year remington 700 bdl chambered in .222 remington. I have a zeiss 4-12X50 on it and its my most accurate rifle. I can get the ammo very easily at multiple gun shops in my area for 20 bucks or much less a box. My father has 2 700 adl carbines in .222remington that he absolutely loves. The cabelas in buffalo has tons of 222 ammo including ppu rounds that are 10 bucks a box and shoot great! I love the old triple duece and ill never sell mine.

I have a Remington model 600 and a 10" Contender barrel in .222Rem. Never found brass to be any more difficult to get (or more expensive) than any other non-military round, that isn't at the height of civilian popularity these days.

(I rarely buy factory ammo, I buy components instead).

If there's an inaccurate .222 out there, they hide pretty good, one rarely sees them. ;)

The .222 is an excellent varmint round, and ruled the benchrest matches for some time. It would probably still be a very popular round, if surplus .223 had never been available on the civilian market.

As the OP, I must say I didn't realize the .222 was so alive. I have been away from rifles a long time.

But in this day of the .223 (a reshaped .222 Magnum I believe), I just kind of thought the triple deuces had died out or were near extinction. Glad to hear from those who still cherish those good old rounds. :)

I helped a family friend get set up reloading last week so he could work up a load for his .222 Rem Mag. I am going to make a guess the rifle is a Remington if I recall correctly. It is scoped with a vintage Zeiss scope, and the loads we put together were ranging from deadly accurate, to one small clover leaf hole from a bench rest. He says the rifle has been in his closet for 30 years or so.

Triple duce

My very first center fire rifle a Remington model 600 in .222 Remington.

Eventually, replaced the 18" barrel for a 22" barrel anf a Redfield 3-18x scope.

With reloads, it hits thumb tacks at 100 yds routinely

Count me in on the Triple-Deuce bandwagon!
I have two .222REM rifles and I reload for both of them, however, I haven't had a hard time finding new ammo for them, yet.
I am always watching the local auctions for anymore that may pop up.

I have a Savage 340C in .222 Remington and also a 340E in .223 Remington. Both are very accurate but both also have very heavy triggers.

I like the .222, I've thought about getting a barrel for my contender but haven't run across one at the right price yet.

I bought a Remington .222 40XBBR in 1973 and won the 1973 100 yd Speer bench rest Matches in Knoxville with the rifle right out of the box using Remington BR bullets. Don't remember the load. The rifle was excellent but I wasn't good at reading conditions and placed near bottom the next day at 200 yds.

Back