.22 v .22 mag?

You can't dissmiss over twice the muzzle energy out of a rifle and the much better conctruction of the bullets involved.

Half truth at best. You need to get into modern times and quit stopping .22lr performance at 1950 velocity/energy levels.

And to be honest, WE are kinda drifting the thread a bit. Not talking rifles, talkin handguns. And no one can argue that the only thing a .22M handgun does is move you up to .22lr rifle levels. That damn squirrel and bunny thing again.......

Goes both ways, lots of new and improved Magnum ammo. Half truth:confused: about what? And the 357/38 argument is a very good comparison.

I wouldn't give up my magnums for nuthin. I guess my real world experience differs from some. I find the differences when used on coons and badgers to be night and day. The extra range is worth every penny in my opinion. Its a blast for prairie dogs. I don't reload my handguns yet, so cost is similar to my 9 mm. I prefer plinking with my pmr-30 over my 9 any day. I just put a ruger single 9 .22 mag on layaway and cant wait to get it home.

I see some people have their mind made up, regardless of what is placed in front of them. I've killed a hell of a lot of critters with both and particularly in rifles, the .22Mag is a lot more effective and a more consistent killer of bigger critters.

Getting back to the handgun use, I have read that in a self deffense situation the large amount of muzzle blast (from the 22Mag) does contribute to the nastiness of the wound, at very close range of course.

This is my opinion. Out of hand gun barrel lengths from 4.5-6.5 inches, I've seen velocity differences around 150-300 fps using 40 grain rounds. Obviously the 50 grainers are moving a bit slower.

In some revolvers with certain cylinder gaps, I've heard of differences of 150-200fps( this being a 6 to 6.5 inch barrel.)

I'm comparing these differences to my 5.5 inch barreled ruger 22/45 in which I've chronographed 40 grain .22lr CCI Velocitors at 1179fps average.

Just my 2 cents

First rifle I ever had was a Marlin 786 (I think) bolt action 22WMR
As a teenager counting pennies for ammo..I had to trade it for a 22LR

I have made up for that error by buying a Ruger whose 22 cylinder has never been used.;)

Now I want a AMT 22 automag...yeahhhhhhhhhhh

I just spent almost six months of not being able to get any .22LR ammo while .22WMR and .22WRF sat unsold on the shelf. that alone is reason enough to own one.

SuperSneakySteve has a Ruger Bearcat Shopkeeper he had converted from .22LR to .22WMR and I think I am going to have the same thing done to mine.

I have a AMT 22 magnum Automag, Kev. You see them pretty often on gunbroker. I think it is my favorite handgun to shoot. But, that said, it is more of a target gun and it really tight so it jams a bit but it is a tack driver.

I got bored with the 22lr a while back but the magnum is a different animal. My brother shot a jackrabbit with a ruger 22mag revolver a while back. It blew a big chunk out of it and I've never seen that type of damage on a jack from a 22lr even from a rifle.

Yup

Yup, they are put near but not plumb on power and affect.

Neither compare to a 357 on a rabbit but that is a different story. Also, you can still find 22 mag for pennies a shot... Not easy anymore though.

Also, you can still find 22 mag for pennies a shot... Not easy anymore though.

Not where I live and it has not been for many years. 22 mag was about the price of 9 mm before it all disappeared.

I have owned a NAA Mini Mag for over fifteen years. I bought it with both cylinders thinking that I could do a lot of cheap practicing with the LR cylinder, and use the mag. cylinder for carry.

The only time I even use the LR cylinder any more is when I'm going out in the woods, and want to have snake shot handy. I have several .22LR pistols that are much better suited to plinking than the Mini.

The advantage of the Mini is that it will deep conceal like no other handgun. Heck, I even forget I'm carrying it, sometimes, because it's about the size and weight of a big key ring with a dozen or so keys on it.

Of course, the downside is that any .22 rimfire for SD is a huge compromise, but if the .22M gives me any advantage at all over the .22LR, especially out of a 1 5/8" barrel, then the cost of ammo isn't a factor.

I haven't done any testing between the differences in the rounds, and probably never will, but I sure do feel better knowing the potential is there if the situation arises.

Back