22 semi auto

landshark

I want to buy a .22lr semi-auto and I am looking for feedback on Rogers, Smith & Wesson, Buck mark and Trailside.
What are your feelings on accuracy, reliability and ease of maintenance?

I want one as well...
I compared a Ruger today with a S&W. I thought the S&W looked cool. When I held down the slide catch and worked the slide around, I found out it has an incredible amount of "slop". I even tried working it up and down when the slide was closed. Still a huge amount of slop. For over $300 I expect a lot more.

The Ruger had only a little looseness. I imagine there has to be some so that a non custom gun will still slide back and forth easilly.

There have been more of these Ruger pistols sold than any other. I will likely buy the "competition target". Also see http://www.sportables.com if these are not expensive enough. I also see an olympic target pistol in a cheaper model for sale on gunbroker.com. However, it is only a 5 shot and a 22 semi MUST be 10 shot or more.

Email me when you decide & tell me why.
My only kid trainer I have right now is a revolver and It's nice to have but not that fun.

I use a Ruger mark II for Bullseye shooting and after over 15,000 rounds the only
thing that has broken was the firing pin, which ruger sent me two of free of
charge.The pistol is in like new condition inside and out.
You just can't go wrong with a Ruger 22 Auto.

Tony

[Edited by tonyz on 05-02-2001 at 09:19 AM]

I have both a Ruger Mk II and a Buck Mark. They are both fine guns. I like them both. The Browning feels a little better in my hand but the Ruger is very nice too. They are similar in accuracy IMO. If I had to choose one I would go with the Ruger in stainless steel. Given a choice, I like stainless steel and the Buck Mark doesn't come in stainless.

Get both. Everyone should own at least one Browning. If that Browning is a 9mm Hi Power,all the better.

I can outshoot my buddy'e Buckmark (he even has a red dot sight) with my Ruger 22/45 all day. What happens when we switch guns? The Ruger outshoots the Buckmark, period. You can't go wrong with a Ruger.

My wife shot a .22 semi-auto for the first time last weekend and liked it so much that she actaully wants to buy a gun!!! It was a Ruger MKII competition model. I think we might buy a 6-7/8" slab side 22/45, though, since it's a whole lot less money.

The shop that has this 22/45 also has several versions of the S&W Model 22 pistol. The salesman said that the Ruger and Smith are both good, but he thinks the Smith is better. My impression is that the Ruger is a nicer gun in every respect, except perhaps that the Smith has interchangeable barrels which I don't care about anyway. Politics aside, does anybody like the Model 22 better than the Ruger?

Ruger VS S&W Modle 22s

I have both a ruger Mark II KMK-678 and the S&W 22S. There is no comparision the ruger will outshot and outlast the S&W 22S.Just shooting the two side by side you can feel the Quality of the Ruger over the Smith.

Tony

Tonyz,

Thanks for the confirmation. I haven't shot the S&W, but just from handling both of them I felt like the Ruger was a much higher quality gun.

I bought a Browning Buck Mark right
after X-mas and traded it in for the Competition Model MKII slab-side in February and I do not regret it at all...
I personally prefer the MKII over the 22/45, but I will get a 22/45 during the summer so I have both.
I have shot S&W and Browning .22 pistols and they dont compare to the quality of the Ruger.
That is just my opinion..

Thanks TonyZ & SFS! That is what we needed here was someone who has owned several different ones. I'm going to go ahead and get a silver colored slab side competition in 6-12 months, after I recover from the pistol I just got and the competition rifle I plan to get soon.

If you want to spend even more money on one, go to http://www.sportables.com & check out what they have.

I own the ruger 22/45. I love it. As a target pistol the accuracy and great handling make it an absolute dream to shoot I am also looking into getting an MKII pistol by ruger.
I think Ruger makes some really fine pistols although I wish the 22/45 were a little easier to disassemble

Both the Browning and Ruger are fine pistols and will serve you well. I can't say which is more accurate as they are both capable of accuracy far beyond my shooting level. That said I prefer the Buckmark over the Ruger, the grip angle on the Buckmark is more comfortable for me. Currently have a 5-1/2" barrel Standard and 5-1/2" heavy barrel Silhoutte model. Love 'em both.
Take Care

Start with a Ruger bull barrel model.

If you find a cheap used S&W model 41, that's even better.

The Buckmarks are OK.

Steer clear of a Trailside. The plastic mags are junk,don't drop free and you can't find a spare.

I have several of each.

One of the reasons I traded my BuckMark in was that the gun would
jam and stovepipe alot after I would shoot about 150-200 rounds out of it. I always cleaned her after every shooting too.
I called Browning and they blew me off, so I traded her in for my MKII Slab-Side, which I had a problem with it not feeding properly, and Ruger fixed it and had it back to me in 1 week and reimbursed me for shipping.
Great Customer Service...

My BuckMarks Accuracy was decent though.. The MKII is a bit better and holds tighter groups.

Browning does make a fine weapon though, I just got a bad one...I guess.

Having shot comparable Ruger's & Browning's, I went w/ the Browning. My buckmark 5.5 is much more accurate than I am. It holds very tight groups, has an excellent stock trigger, very nice sights - all told much easier/more fun/ more accurate than the Ruger's I have shot. Of course, I haven't shot one of the longer barrelled Rugers, just some in the 4.5-6" range. I would like to get a Ruger though, just for the ease in getting magazines/etc. I was also looking at the slabside model - looks pretty nice.

sam

Back