22 scope advice

jambrdly

Hello:

I need to mount a scope on a Remington 511. Is it feasible to mount a centerfire scope on a rimfire rifle? I have in mind a Weaver k-4.

I've used centerfire type scopes on 22 rifles for years. And most of the time it was Weaver K4's. Some folks will blah blah blah forever over parallax being an issue. Trust me...ain't no big thing. Mount the scope.

Rimfire specific scopes are generally parallax corrected at 50 yards, where centerfire scopes are corrected at 100 yards. Plenty of power, reticle design, and field of view options for rimfire scopes, so I just stick with them on my 22's.

I need to mount a scope on a Remington 511. Is it feasible to mount a centerfire scope on a rimfire rifle? I have in mind a Weaver k-4.

Have, or have in mind?
If you already have the k-4 it probably isn't going to be a big problem. but if you are looking to buy a scope you might want to consider a remfire specific model. There isn't really any advantage with the centerfire scope on a 22.

I have only had one experience with an inexpensive 22 rimfire scope. I just had to have an el cheapo 40mm bell scope for a 10-22. Shot the reticle right out of it in less than 100 rounds.

If I put a scope on any rifle today, I use a centerfire scope from Weaver, Leupold or Nikon.

I can always take one of those scopes off a 22-250 or .308 and put it on a 22 rimfire.

I can't go the other way and after my experience, I don't try. I just get good glass and call it good.

I have only had one experience with an inexpensive 22 rimfire scope. I just had to have an el cheapo 40mm bell scope for a 10-22. Shot the reticle right out of it in less than 100 rounds.

If I put a scope on any rifle today, I use a centerfire scope from Weaver, Leupold or Nikon.

I can always take one of those scopes off a 22-250 or .308 and put it on a 22 rimfire.

I can't go the other way and after my experience, I don't try. I just get good glass and call it good.

There is a difference in a cheapo rimfire scope, and a quality one just as in centerfire scopes. Just check Midway, Grafs, or any other good supplier. There are rimfire scopes by the same makers, and of the same quality as the centerfire scopes you mentioned.

Depends on what you want to spend. I just picked up a nice Nikon P-22 for one of my .22 rifles. Heavy duty and had BDC for .22 LR.

There are rimfire scopes by the same makers, and of the same quality as the centerfire scopes you mentioned.

I agree.

I also think most scopes for rimfire are parallax adjusted for 50 yards whereas centerfire scopes are set for 100 yards.

That could be an issue for me as my K4 and K6 scoped do not have an adjustable AO. I think I will be fixing that on my CZ 452. I will probably put something on the order of a 3X9 Leupold with an adjustable AO.

I am also deciding I don't care for the 11mm dovetail on the rifle and will probably add a picatinny rail so it will be easier to get high rings so a scope with a larger bell will clear the rear sight.

I don't have any qualms about taking any of my scopes off any rifle and putting it on another.

Quick bore sight and off to the range.

Last edited:
Leupold centerfire scopes are set at 150 yards, rimfire are set at 60 yards.

I have regular BKL 257 rings on my CZ 452 American .22 WMR. A Weaver T-36x40 fits just fine. So does a Leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR. So do the small rimfire Weavers and Leupolds, like their rimfire EFR.

John

"Depends on what you want to spend. I just picked up a nice Nikon P-22 for one of my .22 rifles."

That scope is available from Natchez on sale to 10-8 [I think}. Price is about $139. It's a 2-7 power. Sold as an AR scope.

They also have on sale a 3-9 power, $109 [opposite page]. Both thee prices $40 off.

I have used a 4X scope for a centerfire on a 22 for years and it works just fine. I agree that if you are going to buy one, get a good 22 scope because of the parallax issue. I have never found it to be a problem, but I have never used it on a target rifle.

I believe parallax matters a great deal if you looking for accuracy .I have a parallax ajustable scope on my Savage MK11-FV and I do recommend one .A buddy and I like to play games when at the range . Tic-tac-toe , Darts , And timing games . We normaly shoot at 25 & 50 yards . Most of the time are target is not much bigger then a pencil eraser . Anything bigger and it's to easy to hit .

Do me a favor , If you have a center fire scope mounted to a rifle . Make sure it's not loaded and Look though it at something small about 20 to 25 yards away . Then while still being able to see through the scope move your head around and you will see your reticle move around all over the target area . PARALLAX MATTERS !!

Now that being siad , I do have a center fire scope on my marlin 22lr I think it's a model 60 ,tube fed semi auto .The scope was just sitting around with nothing to do so I through on there . But that gun is not accurate enough for parallax to mater IMO .

Short answer - If you already have the scope and nothing to put it on, go for it . If you still need to buy one ,Buy the right scope for the gun .

Last edited:
I added a Picatinny 25 MOA rail to my CZ 452. I got it at Joe Bobs. I have the 11mm CZ Rings also. Those rings are no joke as they are built just like the rifle out of heavy steel.

jambrdly, ya see what I mean. Blah blah blah over parallax, like it's the end of the world if you use a centerfire scope on a 22 LR. If you have the K4 already, just mount it up and use it. If you later decide that the evil parallax is causing you sleepless nights or really honestly causing you problems at the range, get a 22 oriented scope. If you don't already have the K4, then do what the others say and get the 22 oriented scope. And get one with the BDC lines. Might as well.

By the way, I once mounted a 4-12 centerfire scope on an old Remington 513T target 22. My lord that thing would shoot. When I got tired of shooting the target, I'd do the numbers on the target, then I'd shoot out the staples holding the target on the board. Parallax caused me absolutely no problems, of course that was before I knew that parallax was bad and was to be avoided at all costs. :D

Put what ever you want on it. I have a 4 -16 x 50 on my 10/22. Works like a dream. Zero it at what ever yards you want and go to town. I shoot with another guy that has a Sightron 10-40x56 on his 22 (Anshultz). He shoots at 300 yards with his. Very accurate rifle to say the least. On a clam day he hits a 6 inch tin target 9 out of 10 times. It's very fun to watch, Ya hear the bang----Wait for ever and all of a sudden ting...

The scope you put on it is what ever you want. They all work. I see most people shoot their 22's at 25 yards..They seem to think that is as far as they can go.. Strech it out there. If it's a target your shooting,it don't care if the bullet is going 1100fps or 100 fps. It still makes a hole in the paper:D

Do me a favor , If you have a center fire scope mounted to a rifle . Make sure it's not loaded and Look though it at something small about 20 to 25 yards away . Then while still being able to see through the scope move your head around and you will see your reticle move around all over the target area . PARALLAX MATTERS
!!

Metalgod-- That is a given. This is where cheek weld comes into play. It is as important as any and every other aspect of good shooting habits and posture

Last edited:
4Runner

I agree 100% with what you have siad . :)

I also believe parallax matters , as soon as you start getting close to 100 yards and farther a center fire scope is fine . In fact there great it's what there designed to do . ;)

I shoot at the indoor range ( 25 yard max ) alot ,that seems to be best for playing some of thoughs games . It's better when the two shooters disagree on a shot . We just bring the target in take a look and send it back and continue .Some times the games only last a few shots each . :cool:

Been to the big outdoor range and tried it . It's not the same. In some ways its better . We shoot longer distances but have to wait for the cease fire to get a really good look or change targets . Yes the scopes give us a good look But even then you can't see if the line on the paper is broke you just know it's close .:confused:

We are shooting for bragging rights . So you don't give them anything :D

Both of my using 10-22 rifles wear Sightron S1 2.5x 32 shotguns scopes. Clear, precise, and compact. Plenty of magnification for hunting/varmint removal. The 77/22 is equipped with a 2-7x32 variable but could really benefit from a little more magnification when shot at longer ranges.

Blah blah blah over parallax, like it's the end of the world if you use a centerfire scope on a 22 LR.

Parallax matters but it's not the end of the world. I've mounted centerfire scopes on .22's. If you can get your eye behind the scope in exactly the same spot each time you can shoot pretty good with them at short range but why mess around just get it right equipment the first time.

I have Simmons on all my .22's

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Simmons-Pro-Target-3-9x40mm-Rimfire-Riflescope/6145834/product.html

Back