.22 - - rimfire vs. air pistol

bitttorrrent

Ok, don't shoot me down as I have always thought of air guns as toys. My line of bb guns from me and my brother when we were little take up a whole rack in the gun room. But they are also not a toy - I don't let my kids play with them as I did. There are airsoft for that.

So, with the crunch on .22 and the fact I have a city house where I cannot just go out into the back and shoot - I thought of getting an air pistol! Have a Gamo rifle, but it is just to big to shoot around the city. I will look like a bandit.

So found a Benjamin Marauder that looks good. Has a 8 round clip like my old 10/22 - sort of. Has some shrouding so not too loud and can get .22 pellets. Have to figure out the air pressure reloading thing, but beyond that I can kill some alley rats without inviting the police!

BTW, anyone know if it is in fact legal in CHicago. Probably not, but I do have a CHicago firearms permit, but that is no good anymore as now you can get a concealed carry (but I don't have yet). And I did look and it is not considered a gun if (.177 and less than 700 fps.). Which this gun is if I got the .177 - the speed is listed at 700 fps - so this should NOT be qualified as a gun?

So I think I am going to order it from Walmart and they will ship to a fedex near my house in Chicago - if they will ship. I'll check now. If not, I can ship to my summer house in MI.

Anyone have one? Anyone have any .22 rim fire? How does it compare to a regular .22? Last week my cousins were over, and I did not shoot any .22 rim fire cause I don't want to deplete my stock. I used up some old odd stuff/guns .38 auto, .25 and ate some old stock of .380 and .357 magnum. NIce.

Sorry for the rambling, but anyone with any experience let me know.:)

If you can set up a range indoors, who would know?
Air pistols are less noisy than rifles.
And modern ones shoot so much like a rimfire, there's practically no difference.
I like the C02 powered blowback action pistol versions, in both .177 pellet and airsoft.
The pellet guns with rifled barrels are very accurate and the better airsoft aren't too far behind.
These are my favorites:
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Colt_1911_CO2_Blowback_Airsoft_Pistol_Full_Metal/2537
and
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beretta_PX4_Storm_pellet_gun/1308
and
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_Vigilante_CO2_Revolver/3253

I find it very interesting that there is a law concerning muzzle velocity and caliber to determine if it is a real gun. I guess I should not be surprised since air gun technology has gotten to the point where many of them are potentially lethal. There are .50 caliber air guns that push pellets at over 700 fps. Even if we assume that velocity is only achieved using the lightest pellets which weigh 170 grains, the muzzle energy is pretty close to that of the .45 ACP.

I would recommend that you get something that does not look anything close to a real firearm. I would also recommend getting something quite like the Gamo Whisper or a Nitro piston gun. Good luck, have fun, and BE SAFE!!!

bitttorrrent
<SNIP>Have to figure out the air pressure reloading thing, but beyond that I can kill some alley rats without inviting the police!

BTW, anyone know if it is in fact legal in CHicago. Probably not, but I do have a CHicago firearms permit, but that is no good anymore as now you can get a concealed carry (but I don't have yet). And I did look and it is not considered a gun if (.177 and less than 700 fps.). Which this gun is if I got the .177 - the speed is listed at 700 fps - so this should NOT be qualified as a gun?
<SNIP>

DO NOT SHOOT YOUR AIR RIFLE IN CHICAGO unless you have extra money and time for lawyers and court fees.

The .177 cal AND 700 fps definition of a firearm is no longer applicable. Effective 1/1/2014 . . .
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Public Act 098-0063

"Firearm" means any device, by whatever name known, which
is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action
of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding,
however:
(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or
B-B gun which expels a single globular projectile not
exceeding .18 inch in diameter or which has a maximum
muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second;
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So you can have .177 cal air guns that go 1,200fps shipped to you in IL w/o the 3 day waiting period..etc.

Aside from the legal aspects, owning an air or CO2 gun makes a lot of sense for those who don't or can't have a convenient place to shoot a "real" gun. Since noise is not a factor, air/CO2 guns can be fired in the basement, with a minimal backstop, and shooting can become a family game. There is no smoke; lead is something of a factor with lead pellets, but not to the extent of a regular .22 pistol since there is no explosion to distribute lead particles in the air.

Further, those guns are cheap to shoot and the better ones using pellets can be very accurate. Many have super trigger pulls and are as accurate as a good quality .22 pistol. One drawback is loading such guns is usually less convenient than loading a conventional rifle or pistol.

Even assuming that you don't want to go to non-firearms totally, as some have, they can be great for indoor practice during inclement weather or a long winter.

Jim

My 2 cents... Get a Daisy 717. .177, shoots around 350 fps, which is fine for indoor paper punching. Really accurate. Quiet, recoilless, no refilling, and there's a large community of folks out there doing mods to them. Mine has been 100% trouble free.

Public Act 098-0063

"Firearm" means any device, by whatever name known, which
is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action
of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding,
however:
(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or
B-B gun which expels a single globular projectile not
exceeding .18 inch in diameter or which has a maximum
muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second;

If I am reading this properly...

Any .177 caliber BB gun fits the exemption, no matter the muzzle velocity. The globular projectile requirement seems to mean BBs only, but depending on the person making the call, and the level of reasonableness... pellet may be ok as well.

The "or" between the .18 diameter and the statement about velocity... That seems to be there for Airsoft and paint ball, which is larger diameter than .18 but tend to have lower velocities than 700fps.

As far as shooting the air pistol in the city limits, you need to check on local ordinances.

I was surprised to learn that Greenville SC (where I am) does not allow shooting a bb gun in the city limits. With how gun friendly the south tends to be... BB guns are no go... But it probably has to do with kids shooting windows and assaulting people with paint ball.

Shooting in the house... may be exempted and ok. If not, its on you to decide if you want to do it any way.

I think you're on the right track, but it looks like it also allows any airgun regardless of caliber or projectile type as long as the muzzle velocity is under 700fps.

It looks like the following are legal:

1. Airguns firing "single globular projectiles not exceeding .18 inch in diameter" regardless of muzzle velocity.

2. Airguns firing any type of projectile as long as the maximum muzzle velocity is less than 700fps.

2. Airguns firing any type of projectile as long as the maximum muzzle velocity is less than 700fps.

This is the funny/dumb/stupid part. Get a Sam Yang Dragon Claw .50 cal air rifle and you can generate more energy than with a 22LR or a 38 Spl. Max fps is rated at 681 fps.

Awesome info. Ill look up that dragon 50 cal. But prob stick to .22.

I don't like bb anymore as they bounce.

So if under 700 fps any size is ok. Still should check with police but they usually gust say no.

Looking at Benjamin marauder pistol. Does have 8 round pellet mags and pcp , compressed air. Had a co2 BB gun but was always running out and can't buy in chicago. And break pumps not powerful.
.22 be easier but just cannot use or would be in jail.

Tried to order online but ship to store for il and mi are banned at least from walmart! Might be in stock so will check in mi this weekend.

This is harder than buying a real gun!

I've been using & hunting a bit with airguns for 15 years.
I have several iar rifles that will dispatch squirrels with ease at short range.
I have one that's been airgun smithed a .22 Walther Talon, powerful & accurate.
NO .22 or .17 airgun can match ballistics of a .22 long rifle.
Don't compare apples to oranges please.
About ammo supply. There is no shortage of lead airgun pellets.
I shoot co2 air handguns at 33 ft in my basement in winter or bad outside weather & knocking aluminum cans is fun when shut it from a range.
I'm fortunate. Have 15 aces of woods, no non shooting nieghbors & a 125 ayrd range out back yet findplenty of use for an air or co2 gun.
Practice + fun + not expensive. I have a Wally Crossman co2 revolver with a claim m.v. of 430 f.p.s Don't care as it shoots thru an aluminum can, make very little noise, ammo is at any Wally, 500 for about $7 bucks or so.
I promote airgunning for any shooter.
try this:
www.pyramidair.com
largest airgun & goodies supplier around the east of the U.S.I have this
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosma..._Revolver/3253
cheaper by at least $10 bucks than Wally
Tons 'o fun!

For several decades I shot backyard pests (squirrels, grackles, crows, and doves) with various air rifles and air pistols (mostly RWS / Diana springers). Then Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri came out. Well, they (a) are quieter to shoot than a magnum springer, from a .22 rifle, and (b) pack a much harder/deadlier short-range punch, especially on the squirrels. But you give up range. They fall fast after 20 yards. But that's all the further I need to shoot in present situation. If I had to try for a 50 or 60 yard shot (or even a 30 yard shot for that matter), I'd want my airguns in .177 back with a 900-1000 vel, rather than a super colibri with a 500 fps vel. And not only that, you don't have to cock them (or buy or pump air, in the case of PCP rifle substitutes, etc.). Being a lazy American, I like this. I have a single shot Marlin 915Y at present which is deadly on the little limb rats with head shots and super colibris. The dogs eat them when they hit the ground - or occasionally I eat them (the doves, too - in season of course).

Air pistols are excellent to train with and can be the most accurate pistols available. They can also be more expensive than about any .22 LR and 90% of the center fire pistols.

Get a moderate priced air pistol (used guns can be your friend) with decent grips and ideally an adjustable trigger. With reasonable care they will last for decades. Get a good one and you will forget about the price but go too cheap, you will be reminded every time you use it. Good luck with your training.

So still prepping for my air gun. Did find a good scuba tank for air, so see who will fill that soon.

The "gun" is still pending. Ordered one, but they will not ship to me in IL. Looks like a .177 is not considered a gun, but the .22 caliber (what I want) is considered a gun - even thought the 700 fps satisfies the rules.

My other address in MI is even more strict and I would need a carry permit to purchase a pistol air gun. They have them at Mier etc., but they are the .177, rifle, and probably less than 700 fps. IF ANYONE HAS SEEN A PCP IN A WALMART OR MIER - LET ME KNOW. And I can't get (tried) a concealed carry permit as not a permanent resident.

So looks like I will have to ship through licensed dealer. :mad:

I think Santa would have run out of time in present day and the beloved Red Ryder would never have appeared!

What's legal to own, don't make it legal to shoot. Most municipalities have local ordinances against the shooting of even Red Ryder BB guns in town.

I'd put serious money on you're already illegal by hunting in town. Doesn't matter what.
"...Did find a good scuba tank for air..." You are not serious, are you?

…and virtually all serious paintball guns are re-charged off of scuba tanks these days as well. I'm a bit of a dinosaur when I go out and play. Almost nobody uses C02 anymore.

HPA (or "high pressure air") has a lot of advantages- really consistent shot to shot velocities, and very little change in velocities when the weather changes.

When I shoot air rifles I prefer springers, but I can see the writing on the wall.

Back