22 revolver or semi-auto

Ya can never go wrong with a Ruger auto , or Single-Six , or Bearcat. Available in stainless for minimal maintence. The S&W Model 63 "Kit Gun" is also a classic , but kinda pricey. Not really known for stellar accuracy either.

I got a Ruger Mark II when I was 14 and I'm 42 now. I loved it from day one. The ergos are great, it's accurate, and never had an issue. I have not had any other .22 pistols...but I'd get another in a heartbeat.
Good luck,
Dave

Browning has a "camper" model. I liked it just fine but then wanted the Buckmark Hunter model. A buddy bought the Camper and we often shoot out in the woods around our camp. Works fine, but maybe a better choice could be a revolver. I needed to use cleaner burning high velocity in auto loading pistols, but my S&W model 617 in a 6 inch barrel is a wonderful plinker. Accuracy is great and it doesn't care what I shoot. All the ammo brands that fail to make the grade during my accuracy testing end up being shot up in the 617. Sometimes some bullets may not fire. Rotate them a bit in the cylinder and they usually all go off. Failure to feed, fire and extract are often associated with autos. My advice is to not select one or the other- get one of each and you will have a better time plinking at camp.

H&R model 999 "Sportsman"

Lots of used ones around. Can be found for under $300. 9 shot tip up revolver. Very accurate. One of the biggest reasons I went that route is that it is ambidextrous. In that it functions equally well left or right handed. Tip up cylinder with auto shell extractor makes reloading fast. HKS 9 shot speedloaders make it even faster.

Ruger Mk II. Is my favorite hiking, camping, plinking gun. I can't count the number of times we've had fun with that gun.

I'm sure there are folks who can say the same about the Buckmark or some other gun. An in-law says the single six is the best camp gun and so on.

But for my money it's the Ruger.

revolver or semi-auto

I want to buy a 22 to carry while camping ,hiking and for plinking. I have looked at the ruger mk111, the browning buckmark, the taurus 94( which looked good,but I understand they have problems)and the charter arms pathfinderI have a 45 and a 380, but would like something less expensive to shoot.The S&W 22 revolver is too expensive. I guess I'm looking for the pro's and con's of revolvers vs semi-auto 22 calibers. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You

IMHO the main advantage of a revolver in .22LR is that it will cycle anything it can chamber, e.g. standard-velocity loads, .22 Shorts, CB caps, 60gr subsonics, primer-only rounds, whatever. There's no need to single-load low-powered or odd-shaped rounds because they won't cycle the action or won't feed properly out of the magazine.

Second advantage is that they're less finicky about operating properly when slightly dirty or inadequately oiled. OTOH generous amounts of sand or mud will tie up a revolver just like it will tie up an automatic. Don't assume that revolvers have a magic immunity to dirt. (People who say this don't know what they're talking about. :rolleyes:)

The main advantage of a .22LR automatic is that you can get a more accurate, higher-quality one for less money. A basic, no-frills Ruger Mk or Buckmark will outshoot any revolver available in its price range, period. Of course, if you choose a model with extra frills, you'll start to overlap the price range of the SP-101 and Single Six, and the argument gets more complicated!

A chiappa 1911 .22. They didnt used to be all that bad i have one that i got about 6 or 7 years ago and its a nice little gun. i have heard that the quality of there guns has gone down recently but so has the price.

Being a self-labled .22 fanatic, I'd recomend the Taurus 22 revlover

It holds 10 rounds
Has great balance
and you can load it with 22lr or 22 shorts/CBs making it very versatile for all your needs

If you end up going Semi Auto, try looking for one of the newer 1911 .22
There are a slightly smaller version of the famous .45. Recently ccovered in the latest American Rifleman article.

just got myself one of the Ruger MK model .22 yesterday...already my favorite .22 pistol, have around 200 rounds through it sense yesterday,tried 3 types of ammo CCI, wildcat, and federal, all worked well with no problems....very accurate IMO

Man that is a personal choice. What do you like better, a single action with its plow shaped grip, a sa/da revolver, or a self-loader. All great for plinking and hiking (as long as you aren't likely to run into anything a 22 can't get you out of, they are a bit light on the self protection end of calibers) Take you pick or better yet get a lest one of each then you can take what ever seems right that day.

Im a revolver guy, but a .22 revolver just doesnt do it for me. Never has, Never will. If your dead set on that caliber im not emberassed to be the first one to reccomend an autoloader.

Although that Ruger LCR looks pretty awesome, i wouldnt mind picking one up if they ever found their way to California

pros and cons of .22 semi-autos vs revolvers...

to me it comes down to ammo / and many .22 semi-autos will not run on cheap bulk .22 ammo without a lot of FTF's or misfires ( like the Remington bulk paks). Most of the mfg's will recommend you run a premium .22 round like CCI Mini-Mag and its about $ 10 - $ 12 for a box of 100 rds.

.22 revolvers ...of course will run anything that you can fit into the cyclinder..

A longer sight plane on a gun ...for plinking...makes it a little easier to shoot it more accurately...so the revolver shines here too. S&W makes a great revolver - but you said its out of your price range...maybe if you to a used gun, you can find something....but, yes, they are not cheap - but you do get what you pay for sometimes...

If I had to pick one semi-auto .22 ...it would be the Browning Buckmark. Even the least expensive model, the camper, is a nice gun ...and they tend to run pretty well, even on bulk ammo. Another gun, that I see at a lot of gun shows is the old High Standard semi-auto ...and I'm seeing a lot of them for under $ 400 ...and in great shape. They have spectacular triggers...and they are incredibly accurate..( a little ugly ) ...but I can get past that...

Its not a clear - go revolver or go semi-auto to me....so I have more than one of both ....( S&W revolvers mod 617's, model 18's / a Buckmark, an old high standard, some 1911 conversion kits...a sig 226 conversion kit...) ...

For hiking, camping and plinking, you might look at the Ruger Single Six. Used ones are not as expensive, and normally the only thing wrong with them is a worn finish.

Which ever one you finally get, get a good holster. One that covers and protects the gun from the elements. A full flap holster is not a bad thing. You are going to be wearing and carrying the gun a lot more than shooting it. A quick draw/combat rig carries the gun well enough, but leaves a lot exposed to the rain, dew, and casual knocks against trees and rocks.

Revolver or Semiautomatic are personal choices, either will serve you well for plinking and trail use. For hiking I like light weight guns so a Ruger standard model with a 4" barrel or a S&w J frame with 3 or 4" barrel would be my choice. If you like a single action the single six is hard to beat. The heaver models are great for target shooting but get tiring on the trail. :D

Back