.22 revolver fans?

I have S&W's models:

63 (J frame .22LR), 4" stainless.
651 (J frame .22WMR) 4" stainless.
18 (K frame .22LR) 4" blue
48 (K frame .22WMR) 4" blue.

It's hard to choose a favorite among them as they are all accurate and easy to shoot.

I only .22 revolver I've ever owned (and still have) is a Ruger Single-Six. Its .22 and .22 mag interchangeable------adjustable sights although I've never touched them-----hit where I pointed it right out of the box---with both cartridges. Never even had to sight it in--I can pick off empty shotgun shells at 25 yds the way it is. Problem is now--my eyes are starting to go out-----might have to scope it somehow.

I'd have to put in a good word for the Ruger Single Six, my first handgun. Got it just after the New Model came out in the early seventies and has stood the test of time. Mine has the 5.5" barrel and came with the extra Magnum cylinder so it has some versatlity. The single action definately requires more finger work to load and eject but the gun is very accurate and extremely dependable. Shoving LR rounds into the cylinder often leaves dents on my thumbs because of the tight bore, but I've been told by others that cylinders with a tight bore makes the gun more accurate, don't know if that is true or not.

Smith & Wesson Model 17.Six shot 6" barrel.I have had lots of fun with this very well made .22.Not only is it fun,but it is also the same dimensions as my Model 16 (32 H&R Mag)which I shoot in competitions--the .22 is great for practice,and I don't have to load for it.It is also the same dimensions as the .38.
I went for the 6 round version because it is the same as the other larger calibers.

Hello Speed,

In my opinion, the Smith & Wesson model 18
ranks at the top of my list. A friend and
myself both had one, and we put several
thousand rounds through these little gems;
without a burp. Seems like the old S&W K-
frames last forever and ever.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

S&W Model 17

A Smith & Wesson Model 17 with an 8 3/8" barrel - Target Trigger, Target Hammer, and Target Stocks is my favorite .22 revolver. Incredibly accurate and a real joy to shoot!

The S&W K-22 or Model 17, 617 or any six shot K-frame S&W. They don't get any better than that.

Last edited:
Well I give you another gun to consider besides the S&W and Ruger line, the Colt Diamondback. Not as easy to find as the others mentioned, but worth the look. Have a 6" model that shoots very well for me.

Snake

Very favorite is a S&W Model 18.
Next is a 4", ten shot, all stainless, Model 617.

I learned to shoot double action with that old M-18. It is truly my favorite .22 handgun. I even like it better than my M-41.

The Ruger bearcat. For all the reasons listed for the single -six, but in a more compact package. This gun has taken more small game than any other gun in the house.:D

can never argue with the single 6 but

for half the price herritage makes a nice looking single action job called the rough rider, not as nice as the ruger, but shoots well, nery tough and comes with a 22 mag cylander you can shoot. all for around $150

i shoot the tar out of mine

S&W K-frame 22LR [I really need to find out the model number!].
It is about 40 years old but boy, it shoots as smooth as butter and right on target.

Another vote for the Ruger Super Single Six (in stainless steel).......however, I've also got my eye on one of the SP101's in .22 and Christmas is just around the corner.

Back