22 Range Pistol

The Ruger SR22 is a handy little pistol to CARRY but the one I have is nowhere near what I'd consider a "range pistol".
There are lots of Ruger 22/45 pistols on the market, the worst of which are likely to be a better "Range pistol" than a SR22.

I have 2 SR22's, the long and short barrel, they demand CCI mini mags or equivalent to be reliable and I feel they function best on the 40 grain round nose - I really like them but they are finicky in my opinion. 200+ rounds and at some point they will go jamo-matic until you at least clean key places, they are very easy to clean.

My longer barrel one I feel is more reliable but it's also newer, and was a special order not subject to handling prior to me buying it so that could be a factor, as could the longer barrel.

I run the two kits to get 17 rounds in the mags, works great.

The trigger reset sucks and there's no fix Im aware of, incredibly long. But other handguns I have are Sig SRT so maybe Im just picky because of that...

Will never sell my SR22s but may pickup the S&W M&P 22LR some day. Ive shot them, wish it was a DA/SA exposed hammer but regardless the trigger is bettter reset wise and they seem to run on any ammo (not that I care what I feed but shows reliability)..

Also I have an interest in the new Keltec 22wmr - just looks cool, holds 30!

Having owned a Mk. 2 and a Mk. 3 I would agree, the Mk. 2 is the best of the bunch. I sold my Mk. 2 long story. The Mk. 3 was a real jam o matic right out of the box, only mini mags would run reliably.
Get rid of that loaded chamber indicator, it's super simple to do. Mine is boringly reliable now.
I love the design of the older Mk. it's very elegant. Take down is quick and easy with a little practice.

Can't go wrong with a Buckmark.

I'm liking my new Ruger Wrangler.

Ruger Mk series is fine.

I would not give more than about forty two cents for a Walther P22. My family has had more than half a dozen. None were good. Some were terrible. Only two idiots still own one (each), because they formed some kind of 'sentimental' attachment due to the source of the funds used for the original purchases. (And one might still be owned ... maybe ... even though the owner doesn't like it. He misplaced it and can't find it. :rolleyes:)

If you want a cheap DA revolver, there's always Rohm... :D

I would not give more than about forty two cents for a Walther P22.

I second this.

If you want a cheap DA revolver, there's always Rohm...

I have a Rohm RG30 that I paid $1 for. The Rohm is more reliable, and more accurate the any of the P22’s that Frankenmauser mentioned.

Even the owner(s) that still have them won’t shoot them due to functional issues. Most times, if you can get 6-8 rounds out of a mag before it malfunctions, it’s a good day. Manage to finish a whole mag, and you should go buy a lotto ticket. Many people like them, but every one I’ve been around was full of problems.

I grew up on Buckmarks and Ruger MKII’s, own a Ruger MKIII, S&W 617, Browning Challenger, and a Browning 1911-22. I’ve shot Taurus, Walther, Sig, NAA, Bersa, S&W, Jennings, and a few others.

It may not be the least expensive, but my first choice would be a Buckmark or 1911-22, followed closely by a Ruger MK series or Wrangler/Single 6.

Last edited:
Another vote for the SR22. I have one for myself, one for my wife, and two others for students. Different vintages: two from Prescott and two from NC. Between them, well over 20,000 rounds in last 10 years. Not yet a single hiccup. I shoot mainly 40 grain standard velocity (used to be green box Remington, now CCI Target), which is what I buy in quantity. However, over time I'm pretty sure I've fired just about every different ammo there is. As stated, nary a hiccup.

If there is any downside, it is the plastic sights. But there are plinkers, not bullseye guns. And so far, all of the sights have survived.

Back