.22 Pistols

Many years ago I did some silhouette shooting with 22 pistols but otherwise all my rim fire handguns are strictly for fun. I like autos and DA revolvers but I don't have a SA revolver in 22 caliber.

A sample of some favorites...

K22 from 1953.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

That Colt Officer's Model Target...
I came close to buying one of those yesterday. It had some definite finish issues, spots and wear, all kinds of exterior marks that attack the "value" of the revolver. Otherwise, it felt as though it was in decent shape.

It was priced at $440 and I was able to walk away from it, but I'm wondering if I will live to regret that. I passed because I know precious little about Colt revolvers, I know nothing whatsoever about this particular model, and because I'm wholly addicted to the feel of a Smith & Wesson and because I enjoy doing the lion's share of my revolver shooting in double action. While I did not know how it would feel to shoot this revolver in double action, I went with the assumption that no matter how it felt, I would be left looking for the feel of a Smith & Wesson double action.

I also went to the show with no intention of buying a firearm, and I did buy two at the last one, so it would have had to be a complete no-brainer to buy on yesterday.

I suppose I will regret it in the long run. :o

My latest is the Bersa Thunder .22lr which makes lots of .22lr pistols&revolvers (not to mention rifles).

They have always been great for 'plinking' and of late have also become the 'acceptable norm' for tactical training as well (that is if one prefers to avoid the 'poor-house' while practicing) ;).

I have a mixed bag

Ruger MKI MKII (there will be NO MKIII)
Browning Buckmark
High Standard
S&W M41
S&W M17
S&W M617
Challenger I & II
Thompson Center Contender 22 match bbl

All are pretty much relegated to plinking

Bought a Phoenix Arms HP22a before the big "scare", when standard velocity ammo was plentiful. I bought two extra mags for it and have both the 3" and 5" barrels for it. No complaints with the gun, accurate and dependable. It's just a pain trying to find the right ammo for it.

Because of that, I just picked up an S&W M&P22. Man the thing cycles ANYTHING I feed it and, it's accurate and reliable. In the first week I had it, I put 300 rounds down the pipe of various brands and types of ammo. It ate it all up and spit it all out! :D

when standard velocity ammo was plentiful
Just for the sake of info, this is a common error. The ammo that is most common, most available, most used, cheapest in priced and typically bought in bulk packs of 325 or 375 or 525 or 575 or in bricks (10 boxes of 50rds each) is not standard velocity ammo.

Basic, general, average .22LR became High Velocity a long, LONG time ago. Someone else can cite a historical reference, but I know the Colt Woodsman pistols upgraded their spec's to match the ammo in the early 1930's.

These days, Standard velocity ammo is available and it's more expensive than most all .22LR on the market. It is -THE- choice for serious target work and competition shooting. CCI Green Tag, Winchester T22, the Remington in the blue/green box, just about anything from Eley and countless others. This is today's "standard velocity" ammo.

Standard Vel and High Vel are also not to be confused with Hyper Velocity ammo, which is your CCI Stingers, Velocitors, the Reming Viper/Yellow Jacket, etc etc.

What ones do you prefer?

My favorite semiauto is a Ruger 22/45. Very accurate and a hoot to plink with.

I also have a pair of S&W revolvers; Models 17 and 18 with 4" barrels. Again, very accurate, great handling and a lot of fun at the range. I've noticed the prices have recently gone into the insane category, though.

Back