.22 Magnum vs. 9mm

.22 mag obviously has quite a few fans, and I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of using a gun and/or a round that they really like, but . . .

Using the Genitron.com site, I find 34 handguns when searching .22 WMR, of which just 2 were pistols, a half-dozen derringers, and the rest revolvers.

Searching 9 mm caliber gives 538 choices, including a handful of derringers and revolvers (all Taurus), the rest pistols.

Does that make .22 mag a "niche" round? I suppose it depends on your definition, and perhaps whether you are considering pistol or revolver.

I understand the differences here. I was just doing a test for a rimfire forum i frequent and figured you guys would be interested.

22mag for Defense

I just keep a Kel-Tec PMR 30 on hand with two mags full of Hornady Critical Duty rounds. Heck, if nothing else, sheer numbers will overwhelm the assailant!

I'll search for the article, it may even be in the archives here if someone wants to search. It was stated in an article the 22 mag is a wicked round because of velocity and tendencies to bounce around once inside the body.

Seven year old Zombie thread by a new guy. Bullets don't "bounce around" in a body like a ball in a pinball machine. They may deflect but thats about it. A bullet is spent in just a fraction of a second and have no time to bounce around.

Hodge370 welcome to the forum but if you want to talk about stuff please start a new thread instead of dragging up the long dead ones.

The biggest negative of a 22 magnum in a pistol, it is very loud! As loud as a 357 magnum almost. I had one of the old AMT Automags with a 6 inch barrel I bought to finish off wounded coyotes, but it was too loud to shoot without ear protection. The 22 mag in a rifle on the other hand is very pleasant to shoot.

Don Fischer I vote for the 9mm,, did I win? I have a 22 mag in my front pocket as I type this. I like it as a back up. Well the truth is I just like it and if that is all I had I would be happy.

I've seen human head shots with .22lr out of a rifle and .22 magnum out of a revolver, both at close range. No exit wound with the .22lr and large chunks of bone and brain matter from the exit wound of a .22 magnum. .22 magnum will also often pass through lower levels of ballistic armor. 9mm and .38 special have no problem making it through a human skull and leaving a mess but neither will make it through the lower level ballistic armor like a .22 magnum.

EVERYONE - please look at the date of the post you might be tempted to reply to. The thread started about 7 years ago, and Glock19Fan hasn't been around for about 5 years. If the post is recent, then have at it.

Bill Jordan, of the Border Patrol, was reportedly a fan of the .22Magnum and thought it was a decent choice for self-defense.

It's probably not a direction I would look, but it might be a reasonable option for some folks.

Believe it or not, the US Border Patrol has next to zero experience killing people.

Hope that doesn't shock anyone's political beliefs in the climate that everyone at the border is a mercenary :)

Then, as now, there were ways to determine whether or not a cartridge might be useful for self-defense without using it to kill people.

Which is very fortunate for internet forums--imagine how quiet this place would be if the only people allowed to voice an opinion on caliber effectiveness were those who had "experience killing people" with the caliber being discussed. :D

bullet for bullet I'd take the 9mm any day of the week. there would have to be some serious issue as to why I would have to carry/use the 22 magnum over the 9mm.

Joaquin Jackson was a Texas Ranger who carried a 22 magnum as a backup gun. During the summer times when I wear light clothing I carry a Kel-Tec PMR. I load 25 rounds in the magazine with CCI 40 grain maxi mag bullets. I carry two extra mags for a total of 76 rounds of 22 mag. The loaded handgun weighs in under 19 ounces and I feel very confident with this setup as it is a lot of firepower I carry.

Both of JohnKSa's comments above are right on the mark.

For those who haven't read Border Patrolman, Bill Jordan's eminently readable, "No Second Place Winner", you're missing out on a seasoned LEO's perspective on self defense & a sworn officer's technique/equipment.

Charles Askins also wrote about the turbulent times on our southern border in years past...the Border Patrol had a lot of experience in armed conflict....YMMv Rod

Last edited:
Inuit hunters favor the .22 mag because they can carry a lot of ammo.
Inuit hunters hunt polar bears with the .22 magnum.

That's 7 kinds of nuts.....

Back