.22 Magnum vs. 9mm

Glock19Fan

Well I had ran out of new .22WMR to test, so I decided to fire a round from my carry pistol, a Glock 19 9mm loaded with Speer 124 grain +P ammunition (this runs about 1220 FPS). This was in comparison to Speers new .22WMR load, a 40 grain Gold Dot JHP SB. Although this round was designed for short barrels, I fired it into the gel at close range from a rifle to find out what its maximum possible performance is.

Again, this block was not calibrated. However, based on the 9mms penetration (12 inches), this block should be perfect, considering this load penetrated anywhere from 11-13 inches in an ideal block of gel.

The rifle used was a Marlin 25MN at a distance of 5 feet. Weather was 75 degrees (rain), and the block was shot within 5 minutes of being pulled from the fridge.

Here is a close up of the .22WMR Gold Dot.
350v09d.jpg

Here is a picture of the entire block. The .22WMR was from the right, the 9mm was from the left.
aexlw4.jpg

And here is a picture of the .22WMR recovered bullet and fragments, next to the recovered 9mm bullet covering a dime.
2ilj9km.jpg

I was really suprised at the results of the .22WMR GD. Gold Dots have been known for weight retention and deep penetration, and although I figured the extra velocity from a rifle barrel would cuase some fragmentation, I didnt think it would be to this extent. Of all the loads I have tested so far, this load was one of the most impressive. The initial temporary cavity was 3 inches in diameter, and fragmentation was extensive, and it penetrated to 7 inches. It also had the largest permanant cavity of any load I have tested so far.

I am very curious what kind of velocities this load is pushing with a rifle, and IMO, if it turns out to be accurate enough, this would be a great varmint load, and at extended ranges would be great for coyotes.

I hope to find someone in my area with a NAA or 2 inch barrel revolver becuase I am interested to see how this and the Critical Defense load compare from a short barrel.

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoyed!

Last edited:
By the way, I am in no way suggesting the .22WMR is an adequate self defense load. But as far as I know this is one of the first gelatin tests with the new round, and I just wanted to give everyone an idea on how it compares to a standard handgun caliber loading.

Love the round ... very accurate at SD distances with my NAA Pug ... I mostly carry it with Hornady's Critical Defense 45gr rounds ... sposed to do around 1000fps from that barrel

From what I have observed, 22 mag is a formidable round in terms of power and speed.
Most gun enthusiasts dont give the round credit for self defense purposes because it is not readily available for a semiauto compact pocket-sized firearm.
I respectfully disagree with those folk.
As a proud owner of several NAA mini 22 magnum "mouse guns", I have come to the conusion that this round, coupled with the consealability of its housing, "rocks"!

I'm no expert but I bet at handgun velocities the 22 Mag Gold Dot would have hung together better and maybe penitrated further. It is after all designed for handgun velocities. It would be an interesting to compare the round in different barrel lengths against each other in geltan. Thanks for posting.

I'm amazed at the amount of fragmentation of the Gold Dot. That would be nasty wound with lots of blood.

Nice post Glock Fan.

@Glock19Fan: "I was really suprised at the results of the .22WMR GD. Gold Dots have been known for weight retention and deep penetration, and although I figured the extra velocity from a rifle barrel would cuase some fragmentation, I didnt think it would be to this extent. "

That round was designed for a short barreled handgun, and the factory published product ballistics are 1050fps from a 1.9 inch barrel. Out of a rifle, it might have twice that velocity. Speer makes a fine product, but surviving at twice the design velocity is a lot to ask from a hollowpoint. A 2-4 inch handgun barrel as you mention will be more representative.

The 9mm certainly did well!

I've seen what they do on small game from a handgun and it is impressive. They have the same energy as a 38 special. My brother shot a jackrabbit up close with one and blew its whole chest cavity open. It also leave big holes in armadillo even at fair ranges.

For a backup, if rimfire rounds were more reliable, I'd rather have a 22mag than a 32acp.

Also, lookup the Strassburg Goat tests where large goats were shot with different rounds. They stopped testing the 22lr quickly as it wasn't always lethal but the testers noted that the 22mag was surprisingly effective and lethal.

Works for me! In Pocket Pistols, I have a PM9, an LCP and a S&W 442. This gets more carry time than all, with the LCP being second. It's almost flat in your pocket and weighs 8.6 oz.

I load with the short barrel Gold Dot 22 mag.

chonggrips.jpg.w560h368.jpg

blackwidowchonglosey.jpg

You're really comparing apples to oranges both in platform and caliber/cartridge. No offence intended but the combined results mean nothing.

As for the .22M, it sucks in handguns and isn't a coyote round at pretty much anything but point blank range from a rifle. Go .22lr or go centerfire. The .22M is a niche round that fills a very small niche.

I have access to special .22 LR rounds that can basically be used in strong-enough rimfire guns. They have twice the power of the average .22. They are more powerful from a 6" revolver than standard .22's out of any rifle. Out of a rifle they have the same power at the muzzle as a .44 Special and at 100 yards these special jacketed bullets have the same velocity as a regular .22 LR at the muzzle! I am happy to pay a little more for 'em.

They are called .22 Magnums. "Niche" my arse.

Back