.22 mag

If you want to use a shotgun I'd try the new federal controlled flight ammo. They sent us a free sample to try at my agency and I was sure it was a gimmick. We hung a silouette and went back to 35 yards. It was 8 pellet 00 buck, as in addition to the "tru flite wad" theres some kind of gelatin that holds the buckshot together that reduces the space for pellets. Regardless, it put 8 00 pellets into a 4.5" group at 35 yards. Would probably be able to reliably kill a critter out to 50. I know 00 is pretty big, I believe they make it in #1 buck as well.

I've shot several woodchucks and coyotes with the .22 mag and it doesn't kill as humanely as I would like. Woodchucks often get back to die in their dens and coyotes run off and don't leave sufficient blood trail to find them in the woods.

The .223 Rem is nearly perfect for both quarries and other medium varmints. Bullet selection is fantastic, so it can do whatever is needed for your game, whether to save pelts or stop them dead in their tracks.

My .22 WMR, frankly is languishing. Too bad, because it's a nice rifle, an accurized CZ 455 that shoots 1" groups at 100 yards with Remington plastic-tipped ammo.

JP

My major concern would be ammo availability , for the past year I havent been able to find any .22 mag let alone .22. I carry my mossberg 835 and can get decent groups out to about 50ft (it's been a little bit since I patterned it) and recently got a Rem 700 in .223. In PA we can't legally use OO buck but we can use lights.

204 Ruger is a yote getter and should be on your short list.
Not so much which caliber you choose for the purpose. Availability to buy or make its ammo is your Top concern.

Does anyone know .22 winchester magnum rimfire's range on coyote?
75 yards is a chip shot for the 22 Mag. 100 yards is stretching its capabilities.

would it kill coyote @ 50 yards?
Absolutely!! But ~~as with any animals harvesting bullet placement is paramount to get those results.

would it be more or less effective than # 4 buck from a 12 ga?
First off. Two entirely different weapons and ammo to compare: Is one better than the other? They both have there limits.
Within 30 yards a shotgun always Rules. Past 30 yards yellow brass Rules.

Lot of good advice here and it all seems correct.

We've shot several coyotes at 50 to 100 yds. in the heart-lung area with the 22 mag.. We try not to take running shots though. We use 12 gauge shotgun also and longer range calibers at times as well. Just depends on what type country we will be setting up in. We do kill coyotes here around the corrals and livestock at times with 22 lr at 50 yds and less and they are very dead. No running shots though and we certainly wouldn't use it for calling with a shotgun available. We don't like to use larger calibers around livestock and the outbuildings. They can get pretty excited.
A 22 hornet always seemed like a good caliber but we never turned one up when we looked. So we use what we have.
The 22 mag is certainly easier to shoot in oddball positions for sure. Leaves a lot less sewing to do over the longer range calibers. As long as the hide repairs are not noticeable it makes little difference. If it gets downgraded it most often is worth very little if it's sellable at all. If you are in a place where you may be calling as many foxes as coyotes, then that might make a difference and whether there is snow on or not.

So I guess it depends on where you'll be calling and what you have available.
There seems to be much difference on what's offered in shotgun shells by the ammo manufacturers for coyotes. They all agree on a high price though.

Federal has some ballistic charts for 22 mag and 22 lr on their website. On the 40 gr. loads it looks like the 22 mag has more velocity and muzzle energy at 100 yds than the 22 lr has at the muzzle. I think we can all agree that a 22 lr poked into the side of a coyote in the vitals is going to be fatal pretty fast.
Interesting charts that are worth downloading.
Idaho Gaiters

I have a 22 mag and 223 for coyotes 22 mag most run off to die, 223 puts em down. I have been looking hard at the 17 hornet. Farther effective range than the 22mag , low noise and no recoil compared to 223.
I see more 17 hornet ammo nowdays on shelves than I do 22 mag or 22 hornet and its reloadable. A lb of powder will reload between 400~600 rds of it.

Factory ammo is about $18 per 20 online.

ill have to think about .204 ruger to.the ruger factory is not far from my house either.i see Bill Ruger jr driving around in his black Bentley all the time

Back