.22 Mag too much for squirrel

That's why I suggested FMJ's in the WMR. They'll do less damage than a HP and should do more damage than a subsonic solid due to their velocity. There's also 'flat point' solids available which may offer slightly better terminal performance than a round nosed FMJ. Put them in the right spot, and neither should have a problem taking a squirrel down.

The 22 mag messes them up more than I like if you use hollow points. Even a head shot as mentioned can cause shoulder trauma and we have big squirrels in AZ. I use fully jacketed ammunition and it does cut down on the damage but still does more than a 22lr. I would not shoot one in the body with the 22 mag.

I do like it for long shots when they get way up in an old growth Poderosa pine, those suckers get tall and make for some long shots.

I'm in the camp that says try a 22 mag since you already have plenty of 22 LR rifles.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input and will go with your advice (including going with the Mag).

What round do you suggest for coyote if the opportunity presents itself?

For years many squirrels were easily taken by me using a Benjamin .177 pump air rifle that Santa brought me in the early 1960s. I upgraded to .22 long rifle and many many more were taken. I tried one time with a Win243 and turned it into a blob of flesh and hair that was not eatable. I believe a well placed .22 long rifle is the best option.

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina........Now enjoying retirement.

What round do you suggest for coyote if the opportunity presents itself?

Anything you have handy. Even a .22LR will kill them - you just have to be closer and aim well. Even with a good chest hit, he may run a ways when hit with a .22.

My preferred load for coyotes (the opportunity has not presented itself, yet) would be my standard load: ArmsCor / Fiocchi 45 gr SP (or HP - it's the same bullet with a little dimple in the nose). Note: The Fiocchi load that was made by ArmsCor is the older cardboard box version. The current load is re-branded CCI ammo.

Soft tissue hits generally just punch a hole through anything up to jack rabbit sized game. But, hit some bone (at all) or put one into a larger animal, and they grenade - either where it struck the bone, or after penetrating about 4-5 inches.

The CCI 40 gr 'Game Point' load would probably be about the same, or better. (The same goes for the current Fiocchi copy.)

Y'all think those lead shot pellets are just sittin a the bottom of your stomach, or passed on through? :)

Please do not shoot a coyote with a .22lr. They deserve a quick humane death with a bare minimum of .22 magnum, and preferably .22 hornet or bigger. I mean, unless it's a brain shot, in which case .22lr is fine.

Federal used to make a 50 grainer for .22 mag - don't know if they still do. But that one, being slower, would be less explosive and damage a bit less meat. It was just a round nose. However, ALL .22 mag ammo is soft lead and will be very violent / explosive.

One year I decided to take my .22 Hornet to a deer stand and make war on squirrels. It was very effective, clean head shots would "poof" their heads, but oddly they hung onto the limb longer than a head shot with a .22 LR, often hanging on for 20 seconds or so, basically missing at least half a head. I find no body damage from the head shots, however the one that I hit in the chest, well lets just say there was some damage. 45 grain HP's.

Consumption of lead pellets could be the major reason why at 58 I suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Stuff) :eek: We always tried to get them all out, but I can't guarantee we didn't swallow a few. I hunted for many years before the hazards of lead were well circulated and payed attention to.

No intent to ever shoot a coyote with LR.

I'm going to try the 22 Mag. If it just doesn't work for me then I can always sell it and get the LR version. The Double Badger is a common production gun. And although each LR has it's unique purpose, I hesitate to put another in the safe.

However, ALL .22 mag ammo is soft lead and will be very violent / explosive.
That is no longer true. ...Not that it was entirely true, to begin with - Winchester Dynapoints have always been hardened with 3-5% tin, and that's just one 'classic' bullet.

The .17 HMR did we .22 WMR fans a great service when it became a hit, by spurring more development of .22 WMR ammo.
There are now several .22 WMR offerings (particularly from CCI/Speer/Federal/Fiocchi/Remington [it's all CCI]) that use bonded bullets with cores that are hardened. Their primary intended use is for Coyotes.

Back