22 Mag enough for coyotes (new PA 25$ bounty)

is a 22 mag enough gun for a coyote

• Yes, no doubt in my mind

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • With the right circumstances

Votes: 40 65.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
.22M will kill coyotes. So will a .22, so will an air gun. There are so many variables for success though. A .22M to the head is a tough shot for us mere mortals and it doesn't lend itself to copious around of blood shed with a chest shot. What does leak is many times soaked up by its thick fur. What all that means is a chest shot coyote, especially in heavy cover, won't leave much of a blood trail and recovery can be difficult. No big deal if you consider a yote a varmint but if you're looking for a payday it is.

Use the 7mm. Use standard bullet weights and construction. Not light bullets, not FMJs. The controlled expansion of a good deer bullet will leave you with an acceptable exit while still doing damage. Light varmint type bullets make a big mess and FMJs zip right thru. Not to mention the ricochet factor they carry. FMJs ain't good for nothing.

Last edited:
I have dispatched coyote with both a Remington 597 chambered in .22 wmr and a H&R Handi rifle chambered in .243 win. Both worked well with the edge going to the .243 however the Remington is still in the field just as often.

In PA you might find them as heavy as 70 lbs if you get one of the coyote/wolf crosses. Exactly where you hunt or if you can call well will tell you the range .I also think 22mag is 100 yds max.

I keep a stainless, bull-barreled Marlin 882 above the front door for quick shots at varmints. It has killed everything from armadillo (its main purpose) to fox, possum, coon, skunk, groundhog, crow and coyote (along with numerous stray dogs and cats). While I consider it marginal for coyote, I had shot one from my shooting house 3 years ago with my .270 and brought it out and laid it across the driveway from the house, by the chicken pen to dispose of it the following day (Sunday). Sunday morning, my wife and I were sitting on the loveseat enjoying our morning coffee when I got up to go out to the end of the porch (to get rid of some coffee). As I reached the front door, a coyote trotted across the yard, not 40' in front of me. I instantly reached up and grabbed the .22 mag, cocked the bolt, and stepped out onto the porch. She stopped about 45 yards away, and by tiptoeing, I was able to put one through her ribs, firing above the porch swing. She ran about 50 yards before collapsing, the bullet having gone through and double-lunging her.

The following Sunday morning, we were enjoying coffee again, when I saw a coyote come out of the woods and pause right in front of my 100-yard target. I grabbed the Marlin, and took the only shot I had, which was a frontal chest shot. I fully expected him to run, but he collapsed in his tracks.

Those are the only two coyotes I have shot with it, though I have missed a couple of shots at some that were running across the field out from our yard. I would not hesitate to try a shot out to maybe 150 yards, if he were standing. I would not, however, recommend it as a coyote round. A .223 is my personal minimum.

Back