22 Mag enough for coyotes (new PA 25$ bounty)

is a 22 mag enough gun for a coyote

• Yes, no doubt in my mind

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • With the right circumstances

Votes: 40 65.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SnipesYou13

Inactive
Alright guys I've read a TON of opinions, articles, even dealers. I want all of your personal opinions on this. Alright, the 22 mag I just got is my new coyote gun I'm running 33 grain remington's through it. I'm shooting 25-125 yards (going for headshots of course). But PA just put the bill in on the 25$ bounty on any coyote killed plus. I have a guy who is giving me and extra 25 for the pelt( if its not mangled) I have this 22 mag I'm on a Tight budget I just moved into a new house my only other options are a 7mm-08 or a Mosin Nagant recently sporterized. HELP!

I'd say 100 yards is about as far as I'd shoot that caliber. If you can hit the ear hole of a 'yote at 100 yards it will be dead.

I'd try to call them in under 50 yards, but yes a .22 WMR is enough to kill coyotes. I've killed a few with a .22 LR, while it isn't ideal it is the rifle I had the time. I've used the .22 WMR to kill coyotes as well and can tell you that the 40 grain seems to hit with a little more thump.

I still would prefer a .204 or .223 over any rimfire except maybe the new .17 Winchester Super Mag. I wouldn't try for head shots exclusively, I'd go for the best shot that presented itself to me. Coyotes are smart and any miss opportunity to get one will only make it smarter.

I agree with that completly but we have 40-50 lb coyotes with their winter coats.I'm worried about hitting a rib. I don't even know if a lunger would kill one

I agree with that completly but we have 40-50 lb coyotes with their winter coats.I'm worried about hitting a rib. I don't even know if a lunger would kill one

I have no doubt it would kill it, but the question is how long would it take?

One the runs off and dies 2 miles away isn't good

Snyper, I also agree with that. That's why I'm think only head or a centered neck in the crosshairs are going to do it. Not to mention I have a buddy with a 20 gauge backing me up. But he's only shooting out to about 15-20.

Close range with proper bullet selection.
I used a 22 WMR 30 years ago and it was not satisfactory. Biggest problem was bullet performance. Even JHP failed to expand most of the time. Shots over 100 yards resulted in "runoffs" that could only be recovered using dogs.
In the last couple of years, I've tried the highly praised 17 HMR with equally dismal results. Coyotes hit multiple times escape w/o leaving a blood trail.
I'll just stick with a .223 as a minimum. Even the .223 leaves something to be desired over 250 yards but it is much more economical and lower noise than the big daddies(220 Swift & 22/250).

When I was younger we used a 22 for Fox. Yotes are much bigger and stronger. I would not feel right using such a small rifle. Shot placement would have to be right on. Varmint or not , they do not need to suffer.

I would go with 223 as a minimum. I know 204 Ruger can but I am stating based a on common ammo I see here in PA. Two Monday mornings ago I had a coyote in my yard. Biggest one I have seen yet. I would put it at the size of a medium shepard, around 65 to 75 pounds.

7mm sounds better. If you are concerned about keeping the pelts and want to take some longer shots pick up some FMJ bullets. That way you don't have to get them in close enough for a headshot and will only have a small clean hole.

I've killed a few with my .17hmr, so I don't see why a .22 mag wouldn't work. Once again its all about being a good shot. You can shoot a coyote in the butt with a .300 mag and not kill it. It is all about being able to accurately hit your target.

It won't do this.....but go ahead and try..a head shot close range....It could prove to be challenging....I need results tho....

Attachments

• IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 80
It will kill a 'yote but not cleanly and effectively all the time.
I recall once I shot a nusiance feral dog at fairly close range. I was using my Ruger 10/22 and it took all 10 rounds in the magazine before that dog decided to die. It was not a pretty scene. I do carry a Ruger Single Six when in the wood using my mag. cylinder but that is only a last resort gun, not my choice for hunting.

I think it comes down to the distance at what you will be shooting at and the terrain you are hunting. For shooting longer distances, fast, small bore centerfire rifles are still the best, if there is enough room behind the target, not only to compensate for a miss or pass thru, but for any ricochet off frozen ground. I hunt coyotes in farm country in Wisconsin. Most farms are 120-160 acres. Many of these farms are intertwined with smaller 20-40 acre parcels of hobby farms or homes of folks just wanting to live out in the country. That means you can see a barn or house from just about anywhere or know that there's one just over the hill in virtually any direction. The pastures between those buildings contain cattle and horses. This is why I usually use either .17HMR or a shotgun.....or both. Last few years most of my dogs have been taken down with the shotguns at ranges of 40 yards or less. Out to 100 yards, the little .17 works well. Never found 'yotes that hard to kill when hit in the boiler room. Even @ 40 yards, #4 turkey loads penetrate the body cavity. while they may go 30 yards, it generally ain't hard to find 'em. Anything more than 100 yards or so, I generally will pass on and try to coax closer. This can be tough when calling educated animals, but for me the safety concerns outweigh the need to kill. Last coupla years, I have been takin' the 77/44. It packs a little more punch than the faster rimfire, but even it's extreme range when fired parallel to the ground is limited enough, that concerns of what lies 100 yards beyond the far hill is not a factor. When 'yotes get educated to calls, if one has the time, trapping can be an effective method also, especially late in the season when young males are out looking for new territory.

If you're skilled enough to make head shots, and keep the shots inside of a hundred yards, the .22 Mag ought to work okay.

Odds are that most any bullet from a .243 or 7mm08 will make a large exit wound. So, to save the hide, it's back to head shots...

"If you are concerned about keeping the pelts and want to take some longer shots pick up some FMJ bullets"
Keep in mind that FMJ bullets are more prone to bounce than a lightweight HP. Unless you're really sure about what's over the next hill, I wouldn't use FMJ for anything.

Many years ago when coyote hides sold for an average of $90 each I hunted them a LOT. In fact, I killed enough of them in one year to pay for a 2 year old Toyota Land Cruiser. Paid cash and ALL of it came from coyote and cat hides.
In those days I used a 22WMR quite a lot. Winchester 40 grain HP bullets. You hear a lot of bunk about how they won’t kill them well, and how they are only good to 75 or 100 yards.
Not so.

If you are a good shot, and if you know your holdovers, you can make them work and work well out to around 200 yards. I know! I did it LOTS of times.
I finally moved up to a SAKO 222, and I have no regrets. The 222 is more accurate and has much better range, and the real glory was in those days I could reload my 222 for LESS than I could buy 22WMR ammo for.
So I would not recommend you run out to buy a 22WMR just for coyotes, but if you have one DO NOT thing you don't have a good coyote rifle. You do!
Not the best, but enough to do the job if you can do the job.
I shot many of them with my old 22 WMR and I NEVER lost one. Not one!

Back