22 LR shotshells

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmark

I'd like to hear from people who have actually used 22LR shotshells on pests, particularly snakes. Tell me about your experience.

I have a buddy who tells me he has used nothing else on snakes, shooting a Ruger Bearcat. He says he uses both CCI and Winchester rounds.

Baby snakes at 4-6 feet, they might do OK. Big rattle snakes - it will just tick them off. 22 shotshells are loaded with #12 shot, AKA DUST. Even 38 shotshells aren't that great. Add in a rifled barrel and the dispersion is erratic and inconsistent

Have you shot anything with the.22? 38 shotshells kill big fat rattlers just fine. I've done it several times. A shotgun is just too messy on the porch.

I've shot at squirrels inside my parents' home with .22 LR shotshells - they were completely ineffective. I wouldn't use them for anything but amusement.

I have a box of Winchester I bought to kill lizards in the back-yard (my wife has a phobia for those). Never actually used for lizards yet.
I tried to shoot roses instead, hoping for an explosion of petals, but got just a multi-pierced flower.
I used a Savage Mark II F.

BigD + 1

BigD + 1
I've only shot birds and some rats, at close range. I have never had a need to shoot a snake. On my property, most snake get a free pass or taken for a ride, in the country. If it were up to my wife, she would kill every snake in the county. ..... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

I shot a little snake on my driveway with .22 shotshell out of a 10/22. took two round to kill it from 5 feet.

I have a box of .38 shotshells that I bought before it dawned on me that they shouldn't be shot through a ported barrel :rolleyes:

Inside the house? Damn. Like running around the living room, or what?
Down in the basement. Squirrels would enter their house from the power line, which ran directly beneath the limbs of a tree. They'd then crawl down through the frame and somehow emerge in the basement.

Frankly, I couldn't think of a more effective way of dispatching them, but didn't want to sling slugs around my parents' cinderblock walled and cement floor basement, so the shotshell seemed to be the logical means of dispatch - it's just that the .22 version is too anemic to do much good. The 9mm version worked just fine, though it left some small punctures in the sofa where one of the buggers had run off to.

Good for swallows in the shed when you don't want to put holes in the roof. Snakes? If you're close enough for them to be effective you're close enough to just use a regular pill.

At my cabin north of Williams, I have run into quite a few rattlers, If they are far enough away from me and not close to the cabin, I simply say, Vaya con Dios and let them go their way. However once in a while one will be too close to either me or the cabin, in that case I have shot them at close range with a .22 CCI shot shell ( the other brands are indeed " dust " ) with excellent results, one shot is all it takes. The range is normally around 5 feet. Anything beyond that is very Effie. The shot shells are not very power full and are not shotgun shells ( which many people expect them to be ) and work very well for their proper purpose.

I once shot a rat at least 4 times with .22 shotshells out of a Heritage SA revolver. The shot didn't drop him although it's possible that he had a heart attack shortly thereafter :eek:

Have you shot anything with the.22? 38 shotshells kill big fat rattlers just fine. I've done it several times. A shotgun is just too messy on the porch.

Here in Fl, we use a real shotgun for dispatching rattlers and cottonmouths otherwise you just tick them off and they get angry with you......:eek:.......12 is preferable but even the 410 can work. Sorry, the 22 shotshells might work for mice, not for snakes - get yourself a Judge if need be and use a 410

Someone once said that the biggest users of .22 shot shells were the makers of fake "antique" furniture.

Jim

Sometimes I do, too.

imagegju.jpg

When I'm out in my rocky timber working or messing around, I either carry my Bond Arms Snake Slayer that shoots .410 3" shells or a S&W .38 revolver with first two rounds CCI shot shell, remaining three JHP for any two-legged squatter encounters.

Never had to shoot a snake yet, but feel the .410 would be more than adequate. It packs a punch on the targets/objects I've shot, but did give me a flinch that took a few months to correct:)...With all of the guns I've shot in military and with all the shapes n sizes in my extensive collection, I've never felt more shock than that little thing. Makes my 3" .44 mag revolver seem like a .22LR, but great to have if you need it for a snake...

When on the land, I most often carry the .38 just for the added self-defense rounds but don't feel as confident about its ability to kill snakes as the .410 shot.
Big

22 shotshells work very well on mice and chipmunks. I have also hunted noisy crickets in my basement with them. A good hit will leave a bunch of cricket legs where it was parked. Also, they will kill squirrels if you shoot them in the face close up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back