.22 LR info!

My lgs didnt get any bulk packs this week, but got some aguila 50 rds boxes priced at 4.99 per 50. Didnt sell out until the next day.

My office is 15 minutes from a local Cabela's. So I go there with some regularity. They often have the CCI 100 rd plastic boxes for 7 bucks, and I just got a brick of Remington's (500) for 27 dollars. I saw the very same box at my local range that same day for 50. I would never (now) pay that much, but I admit, during the "panic", I did... at gun shows no less.

My local Wal-Mart is improving. at least now they have a sign saying .22 ammo will be limited to 3 boxes per customer. Still sells quickly, but better than the "don't even bother to ask if we have .22 Ammo signs".

I bought one box of Federal HP's (550) at a gun show for $45, not great but at the time it was a heck of a bargain.

2 of my local mal-warts got Remington 225ct in last week for $11. It took 3 days for them to sell out. Another has a bunch of CCI standard velocity locked under the counter, and you have to ask for a manager to unlock it, with a limit of 1 100 round box.

The Gander Mountain I work at has 325ct boxes of Federal Auto Match for $19.99 a box and 50ct boxes of Blazer for $2.99 a box. With employee discount I get the Federal for ~$15. We got the shipment 3 days ago and we are almost sold out. The Blazer was gone yesterday.

The Gander Mountain in my area has had 22LR coming back - every now and then, they run some kind of sale - I usually get the flyers in the paper for sales that start on Thursdays. These usually have some kind of 22LR on sale. Usual purchase limits, but pre-panic prices. Gotten some 325 round AutoMatch at @21.00 after tax, 525 round blue box at @25.00. I also got some of that Blazer @3.00 a box.
Shooters in JAX ( yes, it's a very mixed deal about Shooters - all of us who know about it, know its issues ) has had 22LR in stock on a regular basis now. Was there last week as I was travelling past that way. Counter clerk told me it's averaging about 6 - 7 cents a round now. Not great, but better than gun show and Gunbroker prices.

It may not be completely obvious to some, but most modern centerfire ammo as we know it has a bullet whose bearing surfaces are entirely inside the brass cartridge case.

Yes, but the chamber is cut to fit the case, so the bullet can fit the bore diameter.

Not so with .22LR, and any other historic heeled-bullet design. With this old-school approach, the full diameter of the bullet and it's total bearing surface is sitting there on top of the brass cartridge case.

Not the entire bullet is sitting on top of the case. There is a hollow base and skirt that causes the bullet's rear to expand on firing to seal gases behind the bullet.

And someone who knows & can explain the roots of some of these can explain it much more clearly than I can -- this phenomenon is the root of why the cartridge that we all know as ".38" isn't sending a .38" bullet downrange at all, but rather a .357" one.

As mentioned before, the chamber of centerfires is cut larger to accommodate the case. Bore diameter of a .38 is not .357, but .358, which is the projectile's actual diameter. If bullets don't fit bores, they don't seal gas behind them and are not accurate.

News to me; I have never seen any .22 rimfire with lubricated cases, only with lubricated bullets. The Pedersen rifle was unusual and its operation did require lubricated cases, but the situations were not the same.

Go read Frost’ book: Ammunition Making.

Wax is on the bullets, not on the cases.
No lube of any kind on the case.

With the dry lubes used on most cheap 22 LR, how would you know if it was coated in ceresin wax?

Buy some good match ammunition, particularly Eley. Eley is very greasy from bullet tip to rim. All the match ammunition I shoot, Eley, SK, RWS, Lapua, the cases are greased, the bullet more so. I am of the opinion this contributes to accuracy, or the match ammunition companies would not have greased the case as much. It is messy, at the end of the day my finger tips are slightly black, but since I want X's, not 8's, I will take the grease.

Back