Which is the BEST 22 Lever Gun?

• BL-22

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Marlin 39A

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • I don't know how these "poll" things work

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters
Used to have a Henry and traded it only because I was strapped for cash. Awesome gun and I plan on getting another one. Although first thing I am doing when I buy it, like I did with my other, is strip the cheap black paint off the receiver and give it a brushed look.

jmortimer said:
Henry - best rimfire in current production.

You obviously haven't taken a Henry rimfire apart.
Their recievers are cast ZAMAK (zinc) with a sheet steel cover.
Hardly qualifies as "best".

Microgunner said:
You obviously haven't taken a Henry rimfire apart.
Their recievers are cast ZAMAK (zinc) with a sheet steel cover.

You've gotten it bass-ackwards, Microgunner - your prejudicial slant is showing.

The actual/inner receiver proper is steel (mine attracts a magnet), but the receiver covers are made of the Zamak alloy (non-magnetic).

Standard model covers are blue/black powder coated, while the Golden Boys are brass-colored (Called "Brasslite" by HRA).

For the doubters here's an article about the Zamak alloy. The receiver covers of the Henry H001 series and Golden Boys are Zamak 5:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

Andy Wickstrom of Henry subcontractor Henry Wisconsin which produces the receiver covers and bands had this to say about their Zamak alloy:

"First, the metallurgical standard for this metal is Zamak 5. Inside of the Zamak 5 spec we maintain even tighter control of certain elements to further improve physical properties. Second, the metal is cast using the ultimate in high pressure die casting equipment. The power and speed of this process is impressive. The process used to control the quality of the product consists of countless variables that are finely tuned to produce the very best physical and cosmetic properties."

Last edited:
^ Correct - PethaW - The receiver cover is plated with "Brasslite" and is removable for engraving. The receiver is steel.

PetahW said:
You've gotten it bass-ackwards, Microgunner - your prejudicial slant is showing.

After much searching I could find nothing to contradict you.
I did learn that the receivers are made by Wright Products of Rice, Wisconsin (now known as Henry Wusconsin) who specializes in ZAMAK castings among other things.

This is not to say that the inner receivers are ZAMAK, just all that I was able to learn.

Maybe I'll order one and see for myself.

Best lever .22?

I'll throw my 22 cents worth in...I own a 1947 39A which is great to shoot. I also own a new Browning BL-22 and it is not really a fair comparison. Action on the Browning is much smoother AND you can't pinch your finger accidentally
With the Browning like you can most, if not all others. I looked at a Henry and felt there was no comparison to the Browning. I did not want to purchase a new 39a due to quite a bit of concern for Remington's issues. Am hoping to add a Winchester 9422 to the collection someday but getting one for a really good price just ain't gonna happen.

They're also different rifles, straight stock on the Winchester and Henry most likely, with a pistol grip style for the Marlin, same as on their 30-30 levers... If you like a pistol grip rifle stock.. not an actual grip hanging down like on an AR, but the quasi-L shape, like on a Remington BDL, or the Marlin 336 30-30, then you go Marlin on the 22 lever..

Interesting discussion

I voted the 39A because of the one I have owned since 68 or 69. It has a walnut stock and forend and is a bit of a load to lug around all day but it will shoot multiple rounds through the same whole in the hands of a good shooter. No, I'm not claiming to be the good shooter but can put 5 rounds covered by a dime at 50 yds with a decent rest.

Dad had a BL22 for several years. It was a nice rifle but not nearly the shooter the 39A is. The Browning action wasn't nearly as smooth, either.

Never owned a Henry but they do look pretty.

Back