• BL-22

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Marlin 39A

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • I don't know how these "poll" things work

Votes: 6 12.5%

• Total voters
I have shot both.

The 39A works for me. The Browning never did cut it.

One regret I have is not buying the Winchester 9422 and 9422M when they were affordable.

The Henry action is much smoother than the Marlin. Never fired a Browning. I have the the Henry Golden Boy. Not only is it easy to shoot accurately, it is absolutely beautiful to look at. A prettier rifle, I have never seen. You really need to see one of these close up.

Best is a relative question but my order of things runs like this:
1) Winchester
2) Marlin
3) Browning

Not that the Henry's are bad guns. As a matter of fact for most shooters they are the best choice because they are more affordable. But "best choice" can be far from "best gun" and with the way the OP asked the question the Henry isn't even in the runnin.

To answer within the confines of the poll Marlin. I do not like the Browning. My preference is the Henry Golden Boy over the Marlin tho.

My brother purchased a Marlin 39A maybe 20 years ago. This scoped .22 is one of the most accurate .22's I've shot. I own a CZ 452 in .22 which is an accurate bolt action .22 & I would have to say my brothers Marlin is just as accurate.
Annie Oakley used a Marlin. Need I say more.

I have to give the BL-22 a vote but I do not own nor have ever shot a Marlin or Winchester .22.

The first time I shot it, I pretty well cleaned out the bull's eye. It is a grade II and a thing of beauty also. It is my gun of choice for plinking...

I also own a scoped stainless 10/22 for utility around our place. It is also dead on at my .22 range of shooting. I use it for cowbirds and other such varmints. Our place is in wildlife management and I have to use it for control purposes.

I own a Marlin 39A and a Winchester 9422. The 9422 is lighter and handier to use, but I think the Marlin is a bit more accurate. I hunt squirrels with the Marlin and plink with the Winchester.

I am a Winchester guy and I've owned a couple of 39's... but IMO, that little BL22 is the slickest, quickest-shooting 22 levergun going.

BL22 all the way.

The 39A is more popular and will get you far more responses in this thread, because of its popularity; but the BL22 blows it away in quality (especially now that you're likely to be looking at a Remlin 39A).

Some people don't like the "short throw" action of the BL22, but you have to make that call for yourself.

I have both. The Browning is a far better Levergun. I got it when I was 13. Thats been 40 years ago. Its been shot and cleaned. Shot many hundreds of the old Winchester Widlcat 500 round bricks through it. My oldest son now shoots a 550 round value pack throuh it every week or so. I've never done anything but clean it and shoot it. The Marlin is not as accurate or dependable. It's been a good gun but has been at the gunsmiths several times over the years, with not nearly the round count as the Browning My youngest son shoots a 550 round value pack through it every week or so when it's not broken, like now. :(

Back