22 Hornet on Coyotes

Sierra makes a 45 grain bullet that I believe is intended to be used in the Hornet or at Hornet velocity,

Sierra calls it the "45 grain Hornet". Hornady also has a 45 grain bullet called the "Hornet". Either one does a fine job on coyotes.

It's a great little coyote cartridge. If you are hunting them out to 200 yds, the Hornet will do a good job, and it's a joy to shoot.....very little muzzle blast, no recoil. Sort of like shooting an oversized .22 LR.

I won't speak to the hornet, but I will speak to ranges. In my territory, coyotes usually sneak well within 200 yards before you see them. At least, before i see them. ;) I don't doubt at that range, just about any centerfire rifle cartridge will do the trick. I have a .270, and use a .270, but that's because it's currently my only centerfire rifle. The bigger the gun, the less you have to worry about whacking them in the perfect spot. However, the exit holes are not something that can be stitched.

Hunting polar bear with a .22 Hornet is just crazy!

knew a fellow from up there, (he says he's an Inuit) and he said hunting polar bear with a .22 Hornet was just crazy. The Hornet is a seal and caribou cartridge! For polar bear they get out the heavy stuff, a .243!

:eek:

The .22 Hornet was the original varmint cartridge, and will do a quite competent job on coyotes to this day. A couple hundred yards is the easily usable range, beyond that, it still has enough juice, but its tougher to make precise shots.

Is it the best all around cartridge you can use today? Not really. But then the .30-30 isn't the "best" cartridge you can use for deer, either. Not being the "best" doesn't mean won't work, far from it.

Had a longer post explaining why and how the .22H is good to go out to 200 yards. Decided with some folk I was just pissin into the wind so I condensed it.........

Answer: Hell yes.

I'm surprised some of the experts in here didn't suggest a crew served weapon if you didn't want to be undergunned.

The .22 Hornet is a fine coyote gun and it gets better the more you shoot it.

Back