.22 Concealed Carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee6113

If all you had access to was a .22lr caliber pistol (revolver, semi-auto, pocket pistol or full size, etc.), or perhaps your parent or sibling only had access to a pistol of that caliber, what recommendations would you give? Is there a better ammunition you could carry to give it more punch? How would you carry it?

I'm just curious.

Probably CCI mini mags. Especially if it was for a semi-auto. Wouldn't matter much in a revolver.

Last edited:
+1 to the mini mags. Stingers maybe, but only in the revolver.

Also, I would look up some info on "derringer tactics" as pressing the fight with such a small weapon my not be the smartest idea.

Shoot a lot. Get very good.

Why do you ask?

If it's a revolver I would use stingers. They always work for me. But I would personally get better round for personal defense. 22lr is better then no gun but it's only good for plinking and small game. Mini mags are good for a semi auto.

CCI Velocitors would be my 1st choice with their 40 grain larger cavity HP and higher power to help ensure good function. I have never had a misfire with one. I have a PLY22 that dose not have a extractor, it relies on chamber gases to extract the shell. The gun starts to fail to extract after getting dirty around 80 rounds. Without cleaning this gun and changing to 60 grain SSS and is plenty accurate for 5 to 7 yards and again and functioning. In single action revolver I would pick a Ruger Bearcat in dbl action revolver it would be a S&W 317. While I have semi auto 22's that I consider very reliable I would pick a revolver first.

cci makes some good rounds like the minimag and the stinger, but I prefer Remington vipers and yellow jackets.

a revolver would be preferred over a semiauto for this caliber. I have an LCR .22lr for the duties you mentioned.

"CCI Velocitors would be my 1st choice with their 40 grain larger cavity HP and higher power to help ensure good function."

I would agree with this for revolvers but I'd make really sure they weren't going to cause cycling problems with semi-autos. This ammo seems to "overdrive" the SR22 so I don't use it. Plain old bulk pack Federal 40 HP works as well in that short barrel as anything.

"Hollowpoints for .22 LR self defense? Not if you want adequate penetration"

My experience is that HP don't expand much from the shorter(under 4") barrels so won't affect penetration much at all. Daughter has a Taurus 94 2" and we shot every type of ammo I could find(even the Velocitors) and didn't find any that expanded appreciably. Most looked like they tumbled rather than expanded regardless of whether round nose or HP.

I would agree with this for revolvers but I'd make really sure they weren't going to cause cycling problems with semi-autos. This ammo seems to "overdrive" the SR22 so I don't use it. Plain old bulk pack Federal 40 HP works as well in that short barrel as anything.

For sure a steady diet of Velocitors in a SR22 would not be a good idea but loaded for carry use would be okay after all how many times are you going to get into a self defense situation and fire at a person or animal.

I've shot velocitors and the similar Aguila load in my SR22 with no issues. The SR22 may be the best "combat 22", imho. Nice size, great accuracy, good capacity, and mine has been completely reliable through many rounds.
However, if I had to choose one of my 22's for SD duty, it would be my Beretta 71, one of the very few 22's with a Combat record. I've owned a few different 22 pistols, and I consider my 71 to be the best.

The caliber is small enough to almost certainly require multiple shots. If you have to choose the 22, use a revolver. A misfeed could be fatal to you.

There's power in the .22 rimfire, but it's cumulative.
For a test, I've tried a .22 pistol for knocking down a full sized steel pepper popper.
If the poppers are not set favorably, even 9mms aren't always successful.
But three rapid and accurate .22 hits did knock it down surprisingly well.
The lowly rimfire might require a different approach, but it's probably better for defense that it gets credit for.

The only time I've had to use a gun for self defense, the gun was a .22 rimfire. It worked perfectly, and no shots were fired.:rolleyes:

We are all calculated risk takers when we get up in the morning. The fact is that we probably won't need ANY gun to defend ourselves during the day, and if we do, a .22 would PROBABLY do the trick.

If I knew that I was going to have an incident, I'd carry nothing less than a shotgun. If I perceive less risk, I'll use less gun, or no gun at all. jd

There's another pistol I like,,,

There's another pistol I like,,,
That's the Bersa Thunder 22

AMD6547 said:

The SR22 may be the best "combat 22", imho.

I can't argue with this,,,
I own one of these as well and like it greatly.

It's a 10+1 round, DA/SA with an external hammer,,,
A safety/de-cocker, and second strike capability.

That's my preferred type of pistol.

The Bersa has the same attributes,,,
But with a more classic "Walther" styling.

The Ruger has a Polymer frame,,,
In a tactical style that will support a light.

The Bersa is an alloy frame/steel slide,,,
And having a more James Bond-ish look to it.

Both are excellent pistols,,,
I wouldn't feel under-gunned if one were what I had.

I would run CCI Mini-Mags for reliability,,,
And choose the 40 grain round nose for penetration.

Just my thoughts,,,

Aarond

I used to have a heritage rough rider 22lr cost me 200 brand new and I shot well over 1000 rounds until I finally parted with it. Not one problem and shot anything I loaded in it. It's not a ruger single six but it goes bang every time for 1/3 of the price you can't beat it. And comes with a 22 mag cylinder but I never used it because 22wmr are a bit more pricey. Mine ate a healthy diet of el cheapo bulk ammo and never had an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back