.22 Compact Backpacking Rifle

Buy a good air gun and avoid the firearms regulations.
You might want to make sure putting a gun in a backpack doesn't count as a
"concealed weapon"

So I was just looking at the Massachusetts hunting regulations..... If I read it right, oddly, it seems you can kill all the chipmunks you want, but none at all on Sundays! Oh, maybe they figure that chipmunks could use a day off too... Well, I'm on the Left-Coast, so it doesn't much matter to me. But it does seem that the regulations here get increasingly complicated every year and the license and tag fees get higher as well. Perhaps we will soon need an attorney to be sure we are not in unintentional violation of something somewhere. But hey, it's a free country, right?
To the OP: Read your State's confusing regulations and choose wisely. Consider moving if it's feasible.

it seems you can kill all the chipmunks you want, but none at all on Sundays! Oh, maybe they figure that chipmunks could use a day off too... Well, I'm on the Left-Coast, so it doesn't much matter to me. But it does seem that the regulations here get increasingly complicated

Probably antiquated laws from many years ago still on the books.

Blue laws, also known as Sunday laws, are laws designed to restrict or ban some or all Sunday activities for religious reasons, particularly to promote the observance of a day of worship or rest.

You might want to make sure putting a gun in a backpack doesn't count as a
"concealed weapon"
That is a very good point. Considering the OP is in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts I didn't bother to recomend what my first choice would be...a Ruger Charger Tane Down. Mine is almost as accurate as the 10-22 TD. But it's a handgun, and might be a problem in Massachusetts.

Have a look at the Marlin XT-22 youth model. I bought one for my grandson a few years ago. Lightweight, (4 pounds) 7 shot bolt action. That gun is scary accurate. No problem shooting a sub 3/8" group at 25 yards with an inexpensive 4X scope.

those old stow and go floating .22lr rifles seemed cool. no scope but seemed like an easy and light weight survival gun, a true kit gun.

Back