.22 Compact Backpacking Rifle

bmark0610

Inactive
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a very lightweight .22 chipmunk killer! I will most likely be carrying this with me in the woods on backpacking trips. Does anyone have any lightweight and compact rife that would fit the bill? I can only seem to find the Chiappa Little Badger that may work.

I live in Massachusetts if this means anything? I'm not sure as to the gun shipping rules.

Thanks

i have a little badger and it is excellent. that said, it's not available to you in MA as it has a factory threaded muzzle.

you may want to look into a youth model .22lr bolt action for a lightweight option or consider a .22lr pistol like a Buckmark or a 22/45. The ruger American rimfire has a few configurations that aren't threaded and might work

What about a ruger 10-22 takedown it's only around 399 or probably can find it for less. Its pretty cool

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Lots of choices

What about a ruger 10-22 takedown it's only around 399 or probably can find it for less. Its pretty cool
If this sounds good to you, how about a Ruger Takedown Charger?? You would even have room and time for a RedDot. .... :)

Then there is the TC Contender or G-2 in 14". A bit pricey but great shooters ... :D

Be Safe !!!

Thanks for the suggestions and that's an absolute bummer that the badger isn't available in MA!!! Just because of the threaded tip for the silencer??

I am looking for a gun that has a tiny footprint and will fit in a backpack amongst other things... Badger I think would have been the perfect option.

Walther makes an MP5 mock up for 22s that I tote around in the woods for squirrels and such. It is quite accurate but I imagine the 30 round magazine and threaded barrel makes it illegal out the gate up there. Don't know if you can buy it in MA.

Kel-tec makes the CMR-30 (22Mag) which is handy little gun but I have no experience with them.

Taurus/Rossi 22lr/410 or 22lr/20 gauge combo. I think they cost around $164. That's what I paid for the one I have. I don't know if they sell it just as a 22lr but they do just as a shotgun.

The stock sights are to big and suck but with a small scope it's a laser.

wm_1510721.jpg

maybe look at the norinco atd...its the chinese copy of the little browning semi auto that ejects out of the bottom. I have one, it breaks down easy and is pretty accurate

At 2 1/2 pounds maybe the cricket or the rascal from savage. But they do not break apart. I would consider the 10/22 breakdown, the best survival rifle around, but if that is to bulky they also make a pistol in take down called the 10/22 charger, check it out.

Cricket or chipmunk

I have often suggested that the tiny youth rifles, the Cricket and the Chipmunk, would make an intersting pack trip .22. The action comes out of the stock with one large screw. Reassembly is just as easy. The rifles are so tiny that one could likely be lashed to an external pack frame, assembled, (does anybody use such things anymore?) and you'd never know it.

These little rifles are really diminutive, and relatively low cost. They have functional peep sights and decent triggers. Yes they are single shots, but who cares? I bought bamaboy one when he was just a tyke, and of course he outgrew it in a few years. But it has stowed easily in a variety of vehicles, and has dispatched many a pest critter. They can easily be shot from the shoulder by an adult, and I suspect better than most of us will ever shoot a .22 handgun.

Bmark0610 pardon me for using your post to rant on a pet peeve of mine.

(I kind of like the idea of the Ruger Charger or the Ruger Takedown.)

This topic comes up fairly regularly and IMhO a nifty solution would be attaching a butt stock to your favorite plinking handgun. But NO WAY because that's not legal for regular folks. Sigh.

P.S. If you came up with Bmark because you own a Browning Buckmark congratulations. I'm partial to Ruger but the Buckmark is a very fine .22.

Welcome to the forum.

I still have my AR-7 from early 1980's carried it when back packing back then . Never failed to fire and once you get sighted in and use to it pretty accurate.

Let us know what you buy !!!

Years ago when active in backpacking and hiking, I took a Ruger MK-10 that is basically an MK-II with a 10" barrel. I installed a forfend for a Contender Super-14. It was perfect for this service. The Ruger Charger was not around but basically, that is what I had, in single-shot. Eventually left it in Colorado with my daughter. The Charger is not only a fun shooter, but very accurate, out to 100yds. If I owned a Charger, today, I would take it to the sander and thin it down. The long barrel Buchmark would do the same. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

The mfgr of Chipmunk went out of business,but I have two.One for the grandkids,and a .22 Magnum version for me.
Fun gun!!
About 2 1/2 lbs. Other mfgrs make similar size youth rifles.

Prowl the pawn shops. Find an old wood stocked 22 single shot. Cheap, probably accurate, already beat up. Probably will have better iron sights than anything you can buy today.

I would say a Ruger 10-22 Take Down. It comes in a nice backpack case with MOLLE atatchment points if you need more storage than what is provived. Or you could just carry the disassembled rifle, and scope if you want in compartments in your existing pack.
Very easy to take down, and assemble. Especially if you use QD scope mounts if you want to also remove the optics.
As a test of maintaining accuracy, and point of aim after mine was sighted in I fired ten rounds of CCI Standard velocity ammo into a thumbnail sized hole @ 50 yards. I removed the magazine, scope, and broke down the rifle, then reassembled it. Followed by firing another ten rounds into the same thumbnail sized hole.

Back