22 cal pellet rifle ?

Lots of good recommendations here.

Higher in price range would be Benjamin Trail NP XL, quite powerful.

RWS 350 Magnum (w/ Striker Combo) from PyramydAir.

Now I seen a couple people recommend the Sheridan Blue Streak. It may not have the ease of use of a springer, nor is it even in the same ballpark as a PCP, but... That .20 caliber pellet...

The Blue Streak is powerful, and that .20 pellet delivers the best of both worlds between .177 and .22. It has the penetration and ballistic coeffiecient of a .177, along with the weight and knockdown power of a .22, and of course, it's a larger caliber than a .177, so you still have a slight increase in your margin of error. Even still, that should never be relied upon, as I'm sure you're aware of.

But to go back on topic, the Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk is good apparently. I mean, I've heard good things about it. Seems pretty powerful, uses a nitrogen piston, so it will be able to last longer and be more consistent than a spring-powered rifle.

I think overall, "pulling the trigger" on the Dusk wouldn't be a bad choice. It offers solid power in it's price range, not to mention using a nitro piston. Also, consider purchasing from PyramydAir. They have great service, good prices, and overall, they've been great for the 10 or so orders I've made from them, including a problem with a rifle. Replaced promptly.

That's my .02, I guess. Good luck on your quest. But if you want the cheap and easy way out, go for the Nitro Venom Dusk. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I have a Beeman r2 with the .22 and .177 barrels. It is the typical single shot break barrel and will push the .177 pellets well over 1000fps. I was able to hit many birds with it a few years ago (which was probably a bad idea- I just wanted to shoot anything that moved). It also has a ridiculously light trigger- lighter than any airsoft, pellet, or real gun I've shot since. I think I paid $200 for it when I was 14 or 15, and in retrospect it was a waste of money but back then it was pretty cool. I'd sell it if anyone is looking for a good deal, but I'm guessing the new ones probably exceed the old r2's capabilities.

After you choose your new air rifle, continue to do some research. The airgun spacific blogs, and forums can give you a world of insite.
One word of caution is about cleaning the bore. Don't! Well, not in the conventional manor of powder burners. Because there is no propellant burned, there is no carbon to clean. Because leading from the soft pellets is a good thing, It need not be scrubbed out. Actually using a metal brush of nt kind can adversly, and permanantly effect accuracy. The steel used in air rifle barrels is softer than that of powder burners, and the rifling is much showller. It is also a lot rougher, and tye leading tends to smothe it out, and make it consistant. This "seasoning" process is one of the readons for the 500 or so rounds before they really get dialed in. One common method to clean unwanted debris from the bore is to take a piece of Weed Eater line longer than the barrel length, make a point on one end, and heat the other so It can be flattened to hold a small patch after poking the pointed end through It. Push the pointed end down the barrel from the chamber, and pull the patch through. Lubricate according to the owners manual, and have fun. :D
I don't recall you saying why you are looking for an air rifle, but I can say they are great practice, and make busting a few nutters in the woods a challanging hunt.

I want an air rifle because I can shoot it in my back yard without bothering the neighbors with gun shots. There is nothing but woods behind my house for about 4 miles and I only have two neighbors that are also shooters.

The beemans cleaning kit I have has everything you need for cleaning & line. It comes with felt pellets you put a few drops of bore cleaner on and shoot them out. I usually feed two in at a time. It's not a good idea to fire it with nothing in chamber. The felt pellets work great and still offer some back pressure to prevent damage to spring.
Chipmunks are my primary target, but its fun to get some orange sticky dots on cardboard box too for sighting in.

bsa-r-10-mk2-pcp-air-rifle-22-cal-14.gif

.22 pcpair gun- quiet, fast and accurate

.22 pcpair gun- quiet, fast and accurate

And expensive!!!

BSA R-10 MK2 PCP Air Rifle, Walnut Stock
0.177" (4.5mm)
0.22" (5.5mm)
0.177" (4.5mm), 1000.0 fps, Walnut, Right, Brown
10rd circular clip, up to 50 shots/fill
2-year limited warranty
SKU PY-2200-4424
$1,099.00
List Price $1,299.99 Save $200.99 (15%)

Then you have to have one of these:
AirForce PCP Hand Pump, for AirForce Rifles, Incl. Hose + Adapter, Pumps up to 3600 psi
1-year limited warranty
SKU PY-A-81
$201.50

Or one of these:
Carbon Fiber Tank, 4500 psi, 88 cu ft
About this product
Starting at $699.99

And one of these to fill the tank if you don't have a scuba shop nearby:
Freedom8 ShoeBox Electric Air Compressor, Max 4500 PSI
Starting at $1099.99

Probably some cheaper ones out there, so I'm sure you can get set up with a PCP gun and necessities for under TWO GRAND!:eek:

Actually looking through Pyramid's on line site if you go bottom line cheapest I could find, the gun runs about $370, and the cheapest hand pump $180. So for five and a half you can have a bottom of the pile PCP gun, and a hand pump to charge it.

Last edited:
My dad has an RWS 48 in .22 cal. It's a very accurate gun until it rattles the stock bolts loose. Even with the crappy iron sights I can hit a 1" spinner at 30 yards every time from prone. I'm gonna buy him a Williams peep for Christmas.

Edit: I would only get a side cocker. Break barrels are a crapshoot for accuracy, IME.

I got a BSA Meteor in .22 for my 13th birthday. It's single break; it shot about 600 fps. Not a screamer, but it killed off multiple squirrels and chipmunks in the back forty. Louder than a lot of modern pellet guns, but not so loud that the neighbors called. Also, slower means it won't be flying as far.

Point being, that you might have more options than you think.

My dad later bought a break barrel RWS in .177 pellet for himself. It was also nice.

Back