22 bolt action rifle

Ironically (in the low end class) two of the most accurate .22s I have ever shot were a Remington 580 and a Winchester Model 67. They were cheap single shot rifles and the accuracy was all out of proportion for what they were.

Of course, for competition in high school and college, I preferred the 52D.

No such thing as a best brand for anything. What's your budget?
An Anschutz can start at $1200ish. MSRP on their 1710 D HB Sporter is $2650.00. $1215.00 for their 9 pound 1903 Target with no sights.
Anschutz is not the only game though. And regardless of what you buy you will have to try a box of as many brands of ammo as you can to find the ammo your new rifle shoots best. The cost of said ammo means nothing.

In my experiments with an Anschutz and a tuned 10/22 the performance seemed to track the price of the ammo directly. From over 3" at 50 yards with the 550 box HV ammo to a single 8 mm hole with Eley Tennex. The 10/22 went from 6" to ragged hole with Eley Match, Tennex didn't give any more improvement in the current setup.

Senacahornet, I too shoot in the Sporter rifle league.

I have been thinking aobut upgrading. I shoot a remington 541-T with out the heavy barrel, it was not an option the year I bought it, around 2002.

My scores are into the 280s, so I was wondering if its time to upgrade.

I like a thumbhole stock. I looked at boyds. They have one for the 541-T Bull barrel. I am thinking maybe just a new scope. Trigger is at 24 oz right now and will not go lower.

Looking at a CZ, was thinking about an annie, but the used one I saw was more than a new one.

Thanks for the discussion, I am looking ....

David

cleaning

I read a very convincing article years ago that made good sense regards to OVER cleaning the bore of a .22 and IMPROPER cleaning doing much harm as well.

One culprit is cheap cleaning rods. Buy a good quality, steel rod, one piece, and avoid collapseable aluminum at all cost. And clean from the breech, always if possible.

My own practice is to rod clean the bore with a brush only when I note a drop in accuracy. And that does not happen all that often.......I have a Ruger 77/22, stainless that has never had a rod down the barrel, just a pull thru/bore snake with solvent, every 500 rds or so. That snake has very worn bristles, and I see it as very gentle on the bore....that's speculation. I use the snake on blue steel barrels after every session, but just one or two passes, wnough to clean lightly and spread a layer of lube.

Doyle, unless I am mistaken, on my CZ 452, I press the safety forward to fire. It is a little lever on the right hand side of the bolt. My 550 is "backwards," but I've gotten used to it.

Stubbicatt, you could very well be right. I freely admit I haven't seen all their various models. Just the ones I looked at had the backwards safeties.

22 Bolt

I do a little rim-fire shooting. I would go with a CZ 453 price wise.You have the forward set trigger you could set that up for a pretty light brake.
2nd choice would be a Anschutz model, the 64 series not too expensive.
The 3th choice would be a savage, the top two choices are far superior.
My most enjoyable rim fire to shoot is a 17mach-2 anschutz 1502 boatail.

Honestly, I would try to find a good price on the CZ and spend the difference on a good target scope (if that's the type of shooting you're going to be doing) and some good ammo brands to see what shoots well with your rifle. You'll be a far better shooter for spending the money on the ammo than on the gun and if you get good enough to warrant upgrading to something like the Anschutz, you'll be able to justify the cost. I haven't gotten to that stage yet :D And the CZ is a beautiful classic for sure. Very high production quality

I can't answer your question. Guns are always a compromise. The super grade target rifles are amazingly accurate. They are also heavy, clumsy and very pricey.

I've owned a number of bolt action 22s over the past 48 years, and all shot better than I could. I suspect any quality made 22 rifle will do what 99% of shooters need them to do.

I currently have 3 22 bolt guns. A Norinco Chinese import I bought around 1988. Love the blond wood. A copy of the CZ/BRNO pattern.

standard.jpg

My first gun was a Remington Model 581 rifle purchased in 1967. Stolen in 1985, I replaced it with a highly customized one.

standard.jpg

Recently I scratched an itch for a genuine BRNO #1.

standard.jpg

Rifle to rifle and out of the box, Anschutz's are probably the most accurate. You pay for that accuracy.

Other ones mentioned are good.... CZ 452/453, Remington 541's, Weatherby Mark XXII made by Anschutz (v good), Savage Mark II (pretty good) cost effective.

Dollar for dollar, the CZ's are probably the best buy in the middle price range.

Best Target 22 for the money...Marlin 2000

I have a Marlin 2000. For the money you can't beat it. My second choice would be the Mossberg 144 which was chosen by the military to train soilders. You can pick one up on Gunbroker for about $400

Attachments

• Marlin 2000.JPG
    Marlin 2000.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
The OP did not ask what each persons favorite gun was! He did not ask who offers the best value. The op asked who makes the most accurate 22.

Today, those are the 54 based Anschutz. Not the 64 based guns, the 54. Of the 54, the Match guns are more accurate than any of the sporters. It seems everyone else has dropped out. Or rarely seen, like Walther maybe around, but if they are they are keeping a low profile. That is it ANSCHUTZ.

Old guns, all ready mentioned. I would think you better be an excellent judge of firearms to evaluate a gun with 40 years and 10's if not 100's of thousand rounds fired, numerous cleaning and what ever else can happen. Or figure on paying collector value for a mint, safe queen. Guns can deteriorate just sitting. Springs, rust in the bore & chamber, god knows what else.

I like the old model CZ either 453 or 452, but those NOT are in the same class.

Last edited:
* * * I like the old model CZ either 453 or 452, but those NOT are in the same class.

Yeah, they are - especially CZ's 453 with the set-trigger, if you can find one. I tuned the set-screw on mine to be real light, and it promptly shot a 7-rd .333" group @ 50yds with standard (not match) ammo.

You'd be hard pressed to find a line of more accurate rimfire rifles and, significantly, a manufacturer offering the variations in .22lr model that CZ does. I own several CZs - from the diminutive 16" Scout to the 28.6" barreled Ultra Lux.

I don't own a closet full of any one brand 22. I do have a weatherby xxii, ruger American, cz 453, savage/anschutz 64 match, anschutz 64 sporter, anschutz match 54.

My Cz 453 and Anschutz sporter (64 action) both shoot about 1/2" at 50 with match ammo. The Ruger and xxii not quite as good. All keepers.

The savage mark 10 (another 64 action), heavy match gun shot 1/2" at 50 with cci std velocity and not been tested more. Due to getting the next gun. The SA is for offhand practice with aperture site. I just mounted a used scope to checkout that scope.

The match 54 Anschutz is another even heavier gun from 1971 that shows a lot of use. That gun cut my groups immediately in half with wolf match ammo. It is a different class. I only scratch the surface with this recent acquisition.

The thing about shooting the match 54, is I am not all worried. Is my hold consistent? Where is the voodoo black magic?. I just sight and squeeze... drill the target. This gun actually makes me look good. I know I am just a hack in the over all world of shooting. Yet, I do know, I have something special.

Anchutz does pretty well in the Olympics. I have not heard of any cz guns in those events. We can buy the same models as the Olympic shooters (minus the tweeks and coaching) and dream. Shoot and dream. Declare bankruptcy and dream. That is not the question, dollars. The question is precision.

CZ has a lot of models but it is basically all cosmetic. The Anschutz line is far deeper from bench, to biathlon and everything in between. Hunting, silhouette, novice to Olympian. Deep is also, "Not the question".

Back