22 bolt action rifle

senecahornet

What 22 rifle brand is most accurate?
New manufacture or old guns?
Heard of different opinions on bore cleaning 22's.
Some say never, due to lead collar or ring that forms enhance accuracy...others say clean often
i shoot in new york state 22 sporter rifle league. Standing, 3 targets, each target has 5 bulls, 2 shots each, total 30 shots.

I've got a Winchester 69 that works well.
I've got a Savage B92 biathlon rifle that works well.
I had a Savage mark 2 that was heavy but a very accurate .22. I traded it to a friend who whacks prairie dogs with it.
I had a Marlin 2000 biathlon rifle that was very good.

I don't know if I've ever run into a .22 rifle that was inaccurate enough to make me angry.

Anschutz
New manufacture or old guns?
Can you afford a new Anshutz? If so, buy one. If not there are plenty of other brands to buy new (Savage and CZ generally round out the list of budget friendly accurate rimfires).
Heard of different opinions on bore cleaning 22's.
Some say never, due to lead collar or ring that forms enhance accuracy...others say clean often
Don't let the bore rust, clean when accuracy starts dropping off.
i shoot in new york state 22 sporter rifle league. Standing, 3 targets, each target has 5 bulls, 2 shots each, total 30 shots.
Good for you! Keep it up!

You can buy an Anschutz ($1500 and up). Or you can buy a Ruger 10/22 for $200. By the time you have it shooting like an Anschutz you spent about $1500, and have the original 10/22 back as it now contains no Ruger made part anymore ;).

+2 for the Cz line of 22s.....I have two CZ 452s....one a FS...the other a varmint....both are capable of shooting to the very extent of your talent to do so.

Check out a Winchester Model 52. Discontinued in the late 70's - early 80's when Anschutz became more popular, but in its heyday was the most accurate 22 available. Prices vary all over the place from $500 to $2000 or more. If you're looking for something more modern, go with an Anschutz model you can afford.

My BSA Henry Martini is boringly accurate.

My Yonkers Kimber Custom came with a factory target --- 5 shot/3/8" group @ 50 yards --- but it has been discontinued.

I still wouldn't turn down a Cooper though.

Last edited:
Talking about accuracy in any .22LR is kind of useless UNLESS you also include a parallel discussion about the ammo you are going to use in it. Even a $1500 Anschutz won't shoot the kind of groups you want if you feed it ammo that it doesn't like.

Rimfire ammo is notoriously inconsistent - both in itself (from shot to shot velocity ) and with how it reacts with different barrels. Over the last decade or so, it seems to be getting worse in quality instead of better. It isn't always a cost factor as some barrels will group just as well or better with cheap ammo as they will with the high-dollar match stuff.

I remember in the '60's and '70's the competition was between Winchester 52's and the Anschutz 54 rifles. Winchester seemed to do better at Camp Perry and Anschutz basically owned the Olympics. Eley ammo reigned supreme back then.

Winchester left the field to Anschutz and while Eley ammo is still maybe the best out there, I've heard it's not as good as it used to be. For a while my very own local .22 ammo manufacturer (Federal) took it upon themselves to make Olympic quality ammo (and they did !!!) but as I understand it that level of quality has fallen off.

If you don't have an unlimited budget then (IMhO) if you don't want to buy used CZ gets the nod for out of the box accuracy.

If you want to go used then Winchester 52 or Remington 40x might do it for you but they are almost as expensive as an Anschutz.

I have a CZ-452 Trainer, Ruger M77-22 and an Anschutz MPR64. The CZ and the Ruger have been worked on and will shoot right with the Annie at 50 yards. Those two rifles do not seem to favor any particular brand of ammo. The Annie IS particular with the ammo it likes. Wolf Match, SK Standard and Center X seem to run well. Any supersonic ammo is all over the place.

Nobody knows what the most accurate rifle is,,,

Nobody knows what the most accurate rifle is,,,
Because, truly, how would we know?

It would take scientific testing from fixed benches to determine that,,,
And even then there would be variables skewing the results.

There are some rifle brands that are more of a sure bet than others,,,
Anschutz, Cooper, and Kimber are three very accurate guns.

After that I would say the CZ and the high end Savages would come next,,,
I doubt I would be able to outshoot any of those two.

I own a CZ-452 Military Trainer,,,
It's a superbly built rifle for under $400.00,,,
I doubt whether I would do much better with any other rifle.

I would bet that most shooters are like me,,,
They would never outgrow a decent CZ or Savage.

Aarond

Go back to post #9, a rifle is only as good as the ammo it is fed. Having an available supply of ammo that the rifle shoots the best is a really iffy thing nowadays. I have quite a bit of Winchester match that is about twenty years old from my target days now i am using it for plinking but all of my rifles and pistols seem not to mind. I received a case of Aguila gold .22 from CMP in their last major order before things went to pot, my Browning 1911 C and S&W M& P .22 pistols really like that stuff, and rifles like the 15-22 function without a burp.
As for the rifle to shoot target i would survey the appropriate rifles that are easy to acquire and see which fit best and are affordable. Gunbroker surfing will bring about any rifle you wish but affordable is another issue with auctions.

I'll also vote for the CZ 452. It's been too long since I shot mine. Here it is in its Boyd's stock
JhetiSPl.jpg

22 bolt action rifle
New manufacture or old guns? * * *

By virtually any standard you care to name when evaluating a rimfire rifle - accuracy, quality control (for example, not being saddled with crappy magazines), price-point, variety of models offered, etc., - it's CZ hands-down.

In the 1940s-1950s, the answer would've been Remington's 5-"teener" series of .22 rifles (models 510, 514, etc.), but that - sad to say - was back during the Golden Age of American firearms manufacturing which has long been over.

Heard of different opinions on bore cleaning 22's. Some say never, due to lead collar or ring that forms enhance accuracy...others say clean often.

I rarely clean mine, and shoot them a bunch.

The two exceptions are a CZ 453 and an old Ruger "All-Weather" stainless 77/22. I had the barrels on both shortened and threaded for my Surefire Ryder can. So to keep the can somewhat clean from building-up with gunky lead residue, I'll run a bore snake thru the barrels every 50-rds or so.

Last edited:
Just pick up a CZ 452 and you'll be happy.

I believe Whittakers in Owensboro, Ky. has them in again for right at $370.00.

I'm a Ruger American advocate so I will throw that into the mix as well. My RARR compact is a real good shooter and my go to squirrel gun. It likes cheap ammo too, shoots T-bolts better than anything else. Ten shot group at 75 yards on a Caldwell Lead Sled. Not target grade but dang good for a hunting rifle on cheap ammo.

IMG_20150526_224507_482.jpg

Last edited:
Back