.22 ammo

colbad

Just wondering if the rest of you were seeing .22 ammo flowing again and what prices you were paying in your areas.

My rule of thumb is that I will not pay more than $10 per hundred or $5 per box of 50. I also only buy copper jacket and avoid the plain let tips. I very rarely come across the Walmart bulk packs so most of my purchases ore in 50-100 pack boxes. I prefer the high velocity, but the standard velocity generally does the job, especially in a revolver.

Today was out at the Air Base in Tucson and they had plenty of .22 ammo. It was on sale so I picked up 1000 rounds of CCI for $79 with no tax. Thought this was a smoking deal.

This may all change overnight after the debates tomorrow if Hillary's anti-gun agenda gets flushed out. :mad:

There has been .22 here where I live for more than four years now. Tons of it.

Its about $10.00 per 100 for CCI, Winchester or Aguila. About $4.00 for 50 round boxes occasionally.

Its just more costly than I can stomach anymore. 500 rounds should not cost $50.00

It's plentiful here in Detroit, and is going for around 30 to 35 dollars a box for the Remington thunderbolt 500 packs.

I'm not anticipating any huge runs or another panic and shortage. I think everyone who thinks it's best to stock up with 10,000 rds of .22 has already done so in the last few panics.

Common enough that when its comes in it is stocked on the sales floor and not behind the counter. 100 cci mini mags going for 7.99, which is not too far off from several years ago.:)

I'm seeing .22LR at my local Walmart. Been years, literally. Winchester 100 count HV for $10. CCI Std Vel. 50 count for $3.79 and Federal Auto Match 325 count for $17.95. The CCI and Federal are smoking deals as compared to on line places. They still have a 3 box limit, but I've figured out when they receive ammo and buy my 3 every day until gone, then do it again the next week.

Copper washed btw. 22 is never jacketed aside from 22mag. Only telling you this so maybe you can expand you search. No real reason to only buy the copper washed IMO.

Decent availability around here.

Last edited:
Has there been another shortage? I stocked up years ago and didn't notice.

I learned about being caught short in the mid 1990s with the primer scare. I have never had low stock on anything since then.;)

Academy Sports has had a lot recently,,,

Academy Sports has had a lot recently,,,
In fact it's out on their regular shelves with no limit.

I've scored 1,000 rounds of CCI Mini Mag 4 times in the past two months,,,
I purchased 800 rounds just yesterday.

Pre-Obama I was paying $6.50 per 100,,,
Yesterday I paid $7.95 per 100.

Wal Mart is still a bust,,,
And my LGS gets a little bit in but it's higher priced.

Academy is my go-to place now.

Aarond

Actually purchased some CCI at Walmart a week or so ago. That was the first I had seen in years.

Cabelas and Bass Pro seem to have a good supply. Haven't checked Sportsman Warehouse in a while since Cabelas and Bass Pro opened up stores locally. Prices I have seen are consistent with those mentioned previously. Certainly not really cheap, but the price has come down somewhat from a year ago.

I guess you are pretty much limited to CCI copper washed stuff. Their standard velocity stuff is not copper washed.

Federal makes some copper washed, but I have not seen any in years at a store.

In the last month my Walmart has had quite a bit of Winchester Super X (1260 and 1435 claimed velocity at $7.67 and $9.47 respectively). Also had some CCI Mini Mags at $7.47. Nothing else has been seen in any sort of supply for three years. At the time of the Sandy Hook shooting 22 LR dried up.

I gave up on 22s except for what I need for matches.

I can shoot 9mm, 38s etc for about $2 a box of 50, by casting bullets and reloading. The primers being the most expensive part.

I get lead free, I get enough of it as I don't have to even cast, size and lube it. I trade the lead to a guy who cast commercially, for cast and power coated bullets.

But I'm set up, incase I do have to go back to casting my own.

I still have several thousand LP primers I got free 25 years ago, they still work.
so I just have to buy powder for my 45, 44s 'n such. That cuts my price to less then 2 cents a piece.

What 22 I've seen runs about $5-6 per box of 50. I'm sure there are deals out there, but I don't actively search for them.

I was told when I first started shooting competition about 45 years ago, to always stock pile primers and powder. You control primers you control shooting.

My shooting didn't slow down a bit with the primer drought a while back. It wont on future droughts either.

22s may become plentiful again, but I just don't see the prices dropping.

A shop in Cave Creek has it piled high.

$55.96 a brick plus almost 10% sales tax. For the "cheap" stuff.

I don't even know which emoji to pick to describe this.

It seems to be getting more available around here, but not anything like it used to be. I never kept much 22 around the house, I would just stop at ANY gun or big box store and buy a brick when I needed. And I think it is something that we have reached the point where $0.10/round is seen as an acceptable price. It really wasn't that long ago that $0.02 was an everyday price.

Walmart had CCI the last time I looked, but that day I bought some 9mm instead. MC Sports, where I used to go all the time, hasn't had target range quality 22's for years, and even for 38 Special and 9mm they primarily have only personal defense type at $20 or more for a box of 25.

I've been searching the web lately and found 10 cents per round from a few places. I ordered from Bud's, Midway and Natchezz. Do to restrictions on the amount they would sell I only have 5000 rounds coming. That should give me a couple of months of shooting.

I mostly shoot my 9mm. I can reload for a lot less than the price of .22s.

A shop in Cave Creek has it piled high.

$55.96 a brick plus almost 10% sales tax. For the "cheap" stuff.

I don't even know which emoji to pick to describe this.

I am pretty sure if you could find one it would violate forum rules.

22's

What annoys me is my brother in law who lives in Canada telling me there never was any shortage or price increases with 22's over the last few years.

Back