22-250 for coyotes or 243 win

Rogerbeep- The 243 lacks neither when you match bullet weights. 55gn for 55 gn the 243 out performs the 22-250. I would go with the 243 as you say, just for better bullet selection alone.

Rogerbeep, there's a fence line on a section of ground near me that the coyotes used at one time as a main source of their navigation.

That fence line from the nearest east/west road is 550 yards measured straight across, it just so happens that near that road (almost at the edge of the road) is a brush pile that made a perfect place to make a hide.

Threre's many coyotes that met their match while traversing that fence line, all were shot with my 243, the load used was a Nosler 95gr BT loaded with 44grs of IMR 4831, the exit wounds were about the size of a quarter.

That being said I did shoot one with the above load that was about 200 yards from me, the exit wound on that one was about the size of a baseball.

Now Nosler offers some heavier weight varmint bullets that I've thought about trying but my old Remington shoots the 95gr BT bullet so well (3/8 of a inch at 100 yards) I can't think of a good reason to change my load, other then just wanting to play.

As I said in my earlier post 400 yards or less my 223 or 22-250 is my gun of choice, when I know I'm going for longer range shots the 243 is my gun of choice.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

I think it matters whether you just want a dead coyote, or you are hunting for fur.

I was hunting coyote for fur, before there was a fast twist .223 and heavy bullets. When the lightest .243 bullet you could get was 85gr.

And, before there was an Internet.

When the factory .22-250 load came out with a 40gr bullet (that's right a light bullet, NOT a heavy one) local dealers couldn't keep them on the shelves, the pelt hunters bought them all. Why?

Because that light bullet, at that high speed was not only a "lazer death ray" but also because, generally, the bullet completely fragmented inside the chest cavity and (again generally) did not make an exit hole.

ONE hole in a pelt is always better than two!

the exit wounds were about the size of a quarter.

That being said I did shoot one with the above load that was about 200 yards from me, the exit wound on that one was about the size of a baseball.

This is fine performance for killing the pest, but miserable from the viewpoint of the pelt hunter. Nothing like turning a $125 pelt into a $50 pelt to convince people to use something else.

Of course, that doesn't matter so much today as the fur market tanked ages ago.

As much as the cartridge makes a difference, so do the rifles. Sporter weight guns are seldom in the same accuracy class a dedicated purpose built varmint rigs. How much do you need, vs your hunting style is always a trade off. A 7-8lb gun is a different proposition than a 12lb+ gun, at least for me.

The larger the round, the larger the powder charge, the heavier the bullet, does matter, but does it matter enough, for what YOU are doing?

I have .22Hornet, .221 Fireball, .222Rem, .223 Rem, .22-250, .243, 6mm Rem, and .25-06 for cartridges I put in the "varmint +" class.

But not all my guns are good varmint guns. My .243 and 6mm are carbines, (stalking rifles), and not as good for long range varmint shooting as a different rifle in the same caliber would be.

All arguments for "less powder, cheaper brass" etc., have to be balanced against the performance you are looking for. If you want performance, you HAVE to PAY for it.

More expense in materials (including barrel life) is the cost of higher performance. If a .223 does everything you need, use a .223. If you need (or just want) more, you are going to pay more for it. Accept that, and move on.

If you want the ultimate (practical) long range varmint round, skip the 6mms and get a .25-06. The effect of an 87gr HP pushed by a case full of IMR 4350 on small game has to be seen to be believed!

Yes, its going to cost you more money every time you pull the trigger. But nothing else delivers quite the same performance. There is no free lunch.

Since I have a fine M70 Varmint .22-250, and a 1903 Springfield someone turned into a beautiful varmint rifle in .25-06, I've got no need for a varmint gun 243. Both these rifles will shoot 3/4" IN MY HANDS, with the right loads, and that works just fine for me.

Every rifle is a bit different, and while round A might beat B on paper, it might NOT beat it in usable performance from YOUR rifle. For example, a 55gr .243 beats the 55gr .22-250 on paper. Now what does that round do in your gun in the field? Maybe fine, maybe super, maybe not so much. If you rifle only groups that 55gr .243 into 2" (or worse??) and your .22-250 throws into 3/4 or 1/2", which is actually superior?

If your rifle only groups that 55gr .243 into 2" (or worse??) and your .22-250 throws into 3/4 or 1/2", which is actually superior?

Crap! if I got a rifle that only prints a 2" group, or worse from a bullet that is by all means expected to work at least better than half assed, unless its not intended for that twist rate, then I would say I bought a bum steer. Sure I can understand what your saying, but you must first understand that when I get a new rifle the very first thing I do is bed it, lighten the trigger if needed and make sure scope is mounted properly and I've done my home work on my hand loads. To tell you the truth I don't think there's a bolt rifle I cant get to shoot accurate, so long as the rifle is in new condition and straight I can get it to shoot under an inch or better....usually better. Unless that rifle has problems from defects beyond my ability to fix.

I don't shoot enough ammo that expense is an issue even though I use the higher end brass, bullets etc. I usually get away with sighting my rifles in within a few shots, and then test to see what it does out to longer ranges and if it stays within moa, then its good to go. Yeah sometimes I find a bullet that shoots extremely accurate, but it might not be the bullet I choose, however most bullet I choose at least deliver what can be expected, so long as everything is within the parameters for the bullet used i.e. twist rate right and rifling is not boogered up from the factory. For example my 300 mag shoots its best with a 180 Sierra pro hunter, but in contrast it groups 200 grain Accubonds, and Partition's good, but not quite as tight, but they still hold MOA way the hell out there 700 yards and possibly beyond my capability, however I still wouldn't hesitate to use a 180 Seirra for the same long range work in a pinch, if I had to....on the other hand I couldn't get Hornady 180s to work even at 100yrds no matter what I tried. If a bullet does that to me I usually end up with a box of bullets of no use other than to fire form with.

Last edited:
I think 44AMP nailed it. The part about the 40 gr bullet mirrors my experience. I live in the country, with 125 yards of open ground around our house. I decided on a 223 for coyote control around the house, but wanted a bullet that was unlikely to ricochet. I went with the 40 gr Nosler BT. Wow! First coyote I shot was snapped to the ground so fast that I thought I might have missed. Where'd he go? He went down. Couldn't find the entry or exit holes. Same with the next couple. All I can figure is that the bullet fragments inside the coyote. Probably the V-Max and the Varmint Grenade would do the same.

And, one raining dark night I went out on the front porch with the Qbeam and found that I had been invaded by hogs. All I had was those tiny little bullets, so ya go with what ya got. I shot two pigs behind the ear and they went down hard. That's a useful little pill, and it shoots great in my 1 in 9 twist.

I used to own an H&R single shot .223 break open. Using 55 grainers, and had I similar experience that when hit, it would dump its energy inside the animal without ripping the hide. ENTER: .17 rem. same thing just a tiny hole, too those tiny bullets stay pretty flat way out there, but the energy bleeds too far down the scale to be what I consider to be a consistent killer at longer distances.

From everything I gather the 22-250 and of course the .243 will out kill my .17 rem at long range or close for that matter any day of the week just because their bigger and heavier. I'll still keep my .17 rem handy for the gullible early season dogs but come late November when the dogs get educated and hang up especially the older (prettier ones) that take care of their fur better are going to meet up with one of these bullets next year when I finally get the bird in the hand.....sort of speak

Last edited:
I was looking around for bullets for the .243 and come across the Berger Hybrid 105 gr. its recommended twist is 1-8 or faster...Anyone with any experience with this bullet? This might be some wicked medicine, although one might not need to go this heavy its nice they have it as an offering.

Just battin things around in my head.

Back