22-250 for Bison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant see any reason for killing this animal unless of course its tearin up things or a threat to people. I thought there were very few Bison anymore??????
22-250 might do the job with the right head shot or thru the heart.

BIL shot his last fall in SD with a .300 Win Mag 200 gr. through the heart. The other Buffalo get around an injured one and that buffalo stood "dead on his feet" for almost 1/2 hour!! He couldn't shoot it again because of that. They are some TOUGH animals.

You see the pics of indians shooting them with bows and arrows? That's a crock. They used to run the herd off a cliff!

Does it take skill to hunt Bison? The Bisons I've seen in farms and YS park stand around like cows...what's the thrill?

I imagine the thrill is in the fact that you are getting to hunt something that your great, great, great granddad might have taken a shot at... along with the fact that, if you don't do it cleanly, you could get run over like a freight train, along with the prospect of a freezer full of delicious, low-fat, no-hormones meat.

Other than that, I don't see the thrill, either...:confused:

:p

I cant see any reason for killing this animal

Then don't! I enjoy hunting them! Everytime someone I know gets a once-in-a-lifetime tag, I tag along! Someday it will be me!

As far as skill, just knowing the country and finding them in an open area is a skill in it's self. Oh yea, and packing them out! They are huge!

I don't know about the .22-250, though! Might need a solid!

Does it take skill to hunt Bison? The Bisons I've seen in farms and YS park stand around like cows...what's the thrill?

I think this pretty much describes it... The meat is fantastic and the BIL is a taxidermist who has shot everything else in north america and mounted it. So that's his way to address retirement boredom... :rolleyes:

Sorry guys. I'm sitting here at week 4 of the 4-6 week wait on my Ruger 77 at the gunsmith and going bananas wanting to shoot it. Now my wife is going to have her hip replaced next week (again) and I'll be stuck in the house for that. I hate winter but this hasn't been a bad one at least snow wise. And I did get out a couple weeks ago working on the stand! :)

Really want to go on a Bison Hunt.

I have yet to hunt Bison but it is definitely on my bucket list.

Now, I think old warbird was really just wanting to "stir the pot" with his 22-250 question but I would definitely say NO.

I have talked with one of the ranchers on the S. Dakota/Montana border that offer hunts. While he suggested the big magnums, he did agree that .270 and .30-06 in the hands of a skilled shooter would definitely do the job. He also told me to practice at 200-300 yds because despite these Bison being 'ranch raised' they remained averse to people and very wary.

Quote:

He needs to get that cotton candy stand finished. Deer season 2012 will be here before we know it.

I know I'm planning on getting some too, as long as his prices are competitive :D

For all those who think that all bison are hunted on ranches, not true. Wild bison are hunted on National Forest in Wyoming! They are as wild as any other game you hunt, and more so than many whitetail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back