20g mod 1100 lightweight

Sorry fellas, I've been away and had no idea this thread was going . gas_gunner, no the original o-ring was is crumbs the first time I took it down for maintenance.

I currently have an o-ring in it that works although I doubt it will hold up to very many rounds. It is too thick (the thinnest I could get locally) but undersized on the diameter, so it thins out as it is stretched in place.

When time permits, I plan to take the whole shotgun to a store in San Antonio, and hopefully buy the correct one there. They have gunsmiths on site, and I'm sure they will let me put it in to verify that it's actually the right one.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and offers of help.

Got in kinda late on this one. Re: post #4, if I understood it correctly, the o-ring doesn't go "on" the gas ring, the gas rings are slid onto the mag tube, then the o-ring rolled onto the mag tube to the shallow groove provided, and the barrel assembled onto the gun. I have never seen a factory o-ring that would not work. The o-ring seals the barrel ring against gas leakage out the front, the gas rings are free to slide up and down the mag tube and excess gas is vented out the top of the forend. GW

Oh good grief! The light just came on thanks to Goatwhiskers.

Yes, when I first disassembled the gun, the o-ring was in crumbs. I just assumed the o-ring went around the piston seal since it's a split ring and has what appears to a groove to accept one. Looking at 1100 schematics didn't alert me to the idea that it might not.

I just went out to the garage and removed the hardware store o-ring from the piston seal, and reassembled the gun with the o-ring purchased from Midway installed on the mag tube. The bolt now closes easily. I'm going to see how it runs asap.

Thanks again Goatwhiskers, and my apologies to the unknown individuals that packed the part as well as my fellow forum members here that must have been scratching their heads wondering what the heck my problem was.

I do feel embarrassed. .. just a little while ago I did a qick search on YouTube and found a good instructional video that plainly shows the relevant information.

I guess I had tunnel vision on this one and never considered the "bad fit" wasn't due to a improper part.

Back