20g mod 1100 lightweight

oldscot3

This ought to be dead simple but I guess because of it being a lightweight, not so much. I need a replacement o-ring for the gas piston parts. I ordered one from Midway, after a lengthy wait due to backorder status, it arrived. It wasn't even close to correct. Next step was to order an assortment of sizes from a net purveyor of o-rings. I didn't get one thin enough, so back to the drawing board.

Does anyone know the correct (precise) dimensions for the right one? The key here, apparently, is the fact that my 1100 is a lightweight model. It is not the same as a regular 1100 20 guage

Don't know about the 20 gauge, but the hardware stores around here have suitable ones for the 12 gauge.
Not sure of the material they're made of, but they work.

The ones I got from Midway came from Remington. Remington must be using a source that has bad QC. The bag was labelled correctly, but I'm sure the o-ring in it was for the regular 1100 frame. You couldn't have driven the gas ring in the cylinder with a ball peen hammer with that o-ring installed on it.

The one I need seems to be approximately 1 mm thickness x 22 mm diameter, or perhaps 1.5 mm x roughly 20 mm. My old one came out in crumbs so I can't measure it; anyone have a 20 g. Lightweight with a good functioning factory o-ring in it?

I ordered from Midway rather than Brownell's but, yes I did order the correct one for a 20 g. Last digit K, post '77 small frame, LT 20. The package it came in was labeled correctly but the o-ring will not fit. I suspect it must actually be for a large frame 20g. but that doesn't matter, it doesn't fit my shotgun.

I can make the gun sorta run with an undersize 1.5mm hardware store o-ring, but after just a few shots you can see it is being torn up. The factory one must be very thin, like 1mm or perhaps 1/32".

I think what I'm going to do is take it to Nagel's in San Antonio, get one there, and make sure it fits before I walk out. Thanks though for the responses.

In this particular case, ordering has proven to be a bad option. I just looked at Brownell's, first they make no distinction between the large and small receiver guns. Second, at $7.00 a pop + s&h, there is no savings.

I started this thread with a simple goal, to ask if anyone could provide precise measurements. Unfortunately, it has morphed into something else. I appreciate you fellas taking the trouble to respond but as far as where I'm going to buy a seal, that ship has sailed. I'll be driving to San Antonio eventually and pick one up in Nagal's store. That way I can know if I have the right one before I go home.

oldscot3, I doubt there is a gunsmith on here that knows the dimensions of that LT 20 o-ring. Its dimensions aren't listed in the Remington service manual, as it only the parts, disassembly and reassembly instructions. The ones who would know, would be Numrich, who we all order from. If anyone would know those dimensions, it would be them, or Remington. Jack First is another place, who has measured a good quantity of gun parts, and keeps them on hand.

Thanks Dixie... from my op until now, I've done a lot of trial and error function testing and then dis-assembly and measuring, with hardware store o-rings. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the point that I'll recognize one that will work when I see it. I'll verify by slipping it on the piston seal seal and taking a measurement, perhaps even see if it will slip in the barrel cylinder easily. To make that happen requires a place that I can walk into with my parts in hand.

My reluctance to trust mail order suppliers stems from the hassle I've experienced so far. I'm afraid that whoever is the source for "factory" Remington replacement parts has screwed up and sent out a batch of incorrectly packaged o-rings. The catalogs are correct, the part number is correct, the package label is correct, the actual o-ring is incorrect.

My order from Midway was on back order. Eventually it filled and I got the wrong part. Strike one. I walked into a local place that had a supply. They pulled out a package for my make and model and I could see by comparing them, that it was the same as my Midway supplied o-ring. Strike two. If I order from Brownells or Gun Parts I only have a fifty/fifty chance it will be right plus I'll have the wait and then decision about sending it back or not if it is also wrong. Not worth it to me. I'll eventually find the right ones in my routine travels and when I do I'll buy three and be set for life.

BTW I don't mean to come off as stubborn or unappreciative of the advice. Originally, my thinking was that if I could get precision measurements, that were assured of being correct, I could skip the $7.00 o-rings for guns and buy the 75 cent viton o-ring for tractors or other equipment. There are specialty suppliers of o-rings that sell high quality for cheap, but you have to know what size to order.

Last edited:
oldscot3, I don't blame you, as Viton will work. Nitrile won't though. Remington claims that theirs are Teflon, (PTFE), coated, however, I'd say that it is a coating on some rubber like Viton, from what I've read. It has to stand up to heat and abrasion. I remember buying those, back in the 1980s, for a little over $1 each, from Remington, and they kept increasing. I used to keep a stock of them, but I've sold most all out since my retirement.

4V50 Gary,
Thanks for that. I missed it. If he doesn't have the original, I could probably size the correct o-ring based on the parts that it fits on, and in, but being Remington, I doubt that the dimensions would be for a metric o-ring. He should pm me, as I might miss this topic.

Danny

Well,
I PM'd him. I size o rings all the time at work, so if he gives me the dimensions of the corresponding parts, I can probably figure out something for him.

Danny

Back