204 vs 22-250

"Except for .220 Swift and .223 WSSM. So I guess it's the Prince's little brother."

Unfortunately, I've not been able to utilize these expected advantages of those two cartridges due to accuracy deficiencies at long range. The 22/250 has the accuracy w/o the need for continual tinkering with loads.

Don't go trashing the 220 Swift on accuracy. It'll shoot every bit as well as a 22-250 and barrel life is exactly the same. I've been shooting the round since about 1980. If I thought there was any advantage to the 22-250, I'd have one. You can equal the Swift velocity with the 22-250AI and the same barrel length.

There is some truth to the argument that ammo is easier to find for the 22-250, but I haven't shot a factory round in the rifle since a month after I bought it. I've never had problems getting reloading components.

Ok, now that I've defended the virtue of the 220, there is a flaw (shared with the 22-250), in that the twist rate won't let me shoot the bullets that I would like to shoot. I can't shoot the 60 gr Partition or the 64 gr Nosler BSB. If I ever shoot out this second barrel, I'll go with a faster twist on barrel 3.

That's why I'm building a 1-8 twist 22-250AI. I like to shoot the 75 grain A-Max bullets out of my 223's. Pushing them faster with the 22-250AI will just be that much more fun hitting yotes way out there.

That's why I'm building a 1-8 twist 22-250AI. I like to shoot the 75 grain A-Max bullets out of my 223's. Pushing them faster with the 22-250AI will just be that much more fun hitting yotes way out there.
I'm thinking of building a 223AI for the same range of bullets 68-75gr match bullets. Why burn the extra powder?

.22 caliber barrels are easier to clean and don't require special tools.

Otherwise...
Whatever floats your boat. ...Especially if you don't reload.

I had a .220 Swift for a while (grew up with it, and then inherited it). Great shooter. Fun cartridge. Excellent "RED MIST!"-factor. But I grew tired of all of the work required to keep the brass usable, and the extra cleaning required to remove the excess copper fouling that happens with the 'Kings of Speed'.
That rifle is a .243 Win-based 6mm wildcat, now (that requires zero extra brass prep and can fire Remington factory ammo ;)).

And my other varmint/predator cartridges aren't all that zippy: .223 Remington and 6x45mm.
They're more than enough, require nothing special in regards to brass, and don't copper foul as badly.

Back