.204 Rug VS. .223

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 223 & my 204 are both 1:12 twist. I shoot hornady 40 grain vmax out of both. The similarities in the setups are so much that I don't think you could find a better comparison between the two calibers. I will tell you this: the difference in muzzle velocity & performance is imperceptible. Recoil, muzzle blast, & muzzle velocity are all very similar. In addition to all of this, I choose to shoot my 223 most often because I have a ton of once fired brass & the bullets are cheaper.
My suggestion for a varmint rifle would be a slow twist 223 and light bullets if cost per round is a big concern. If its not as much of a concern and muzzle velocity is what you really want, shoot those same 40 grain pills out of a 22-250 and see how that works for you.

I've found some things I don't like about the 204. Different size nozzle for powder dumper,you need a whole different cleaning rod than .22, hard to dump extruded powder into cases etc.

I prefer the 223 and it's the workhorse of the pdog town IMO. After a few hundred yards you need to know your dope whatever you shoot so the flatter trajectory doesn't mean much to me.

.223 would be my choice and I own 204,223, and 22-250.

I have 2 204s , a 700 VTR and a T/C Pro Hunter. I find them both very touchy in all aspects, bullets, powder , etc. There fun to shoot but so is my 223 SPS and 22-250 T/C. I'd get a 223 if I could only have one needle gun. There easier to load for, cheaper to shoot, don't take special equipment, etc.
No matter which one you choose have fun with it.

Last edited:
If you are going to reload i would suggest the .223 remington. Once fired Brass can be found for next to nothing. Try to get a rifle with a 1 in 12 twist rate if possible i have the 1 in 9 twist and it will shoot close to 1" groups with 55 grainers, but i'm sure the 1 in 12 would do better. Surprisingly i tried the nosler varmegeddon 40 grain hollow points and they will shoot 1/2" groups out of my rifle. And cruise along about 3400 fps.

you need a whole different cleaning rod than .22,

Only took 22 posts before someone remembered this.

You WILL need a .20 cal (or smaller) cleaning rod. Don't forget to buy one (if they have one) if your get a .204. No matter how hard you try, you can't clean a .20 bore with a .22 rod.

Boresnake will work, but I've always thought one should have a rod, just in case. You can't poke/push with a boresnake. :D

I've got .22 Hornet, .221 Fireball, .222Rem, .223 Rem and .22-250, so the .204 never interested me.

I like the 204, but then I also like the 223, 223AI 22-250 and the 220 Swift.have [had] them all over the past 25/30 years for PDs once the 40 gr polymer bullet came on the market did bot see much difference in any of them. Did use a 32 gr in the 204 at 4000 ft.
All the pds did what was expected when hit.
Wind is a factor but time to target is also a factor.
223 has an advantage in cost if you do not reload.

"...necro-threading at its best..." Nope. There was a 10 year old OP the other day.
The "Hunting with 168 grain Matchking?" post is 10 years old. snicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back