2020 Python Rifling Marks

To everyone asking, yes I did have this same problem with a 460! I can't believe my bad luck with high end revolvers....I honestly like to say that S&W and Colt both typically make quality guns, I just seem to get the 0.5% or so that have things missed in QC.

Because of the history with the 460, I now TRY to look closely at every gun, especially revolver that I buy, this one included. When I inspected the barrel at the gun store, I tried to be quick with staring straight down it, even with the cylinder open because it just feels weird to do in a gun store. At a glance it looked fine, as it turns out you can only see this when you look at it with a bright light at an angle like you see in the photo.

I did contact Colt with a photo of this and it is currently with them awaiting a barrel replacement.

Last edited:
I’d suggest investing in a bore light and make sure you remember to take it with you when shopping for guns. I always bring my little L shaped fiber optic type when going to the gun store. They’re cheap, easily carried in a pocket, don’t require a battery, and work great.

The little bore lights do use batteries. Some are like little flashlights with replaceable batteries, and some have built in (non replaceable) batteries, but they do use batteries.

A good light, and a pocket mirror are very useful when inspecting firearms. A magnifier also isn't completely out of place, either, particularly when checking a high dollar gun where its condition significantly impacts its value.

KNOWING what you are looking at, what is, and isn't right helps a lot, too! :rolleyes:

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear about a bore light. The ones I’m referring to are like a 1/4” piece of clear rod bent in an L shape that act like a piece of fiber optic. Stick the long leg of the L in the chamber with the short leg hanging out. Then aim the short leg at a light source and it lights up the bore pretty good depending on the light source. No battery involved.

Hmm, interesting. I just did a quick search and apparently they are now made in the shape of a J, not an L. Same concept though.

Last edited:
All I've heard is the opposite.

Can't say its a representative sample, but I know one local shop that has had 8 of the new "pythons" in the last year.

3 (three) of those guns got sent right back to Colt, because they were NOT functional mechanically. Brand new, right out of the box and they would NOT WORK at all.

So 3 of 8.... that's not a good thing.

The other five were sold and none of the customers has complained.

Even were I in the market, (and I'm not) I would not buy one of the new Pythons.

I suggest you shoot the revolver to test for accuracy. If it's within your expectations, that's probably the end of the story. If not, then I'd contact Colt to see if unacceptable accuracy has anything to do with those marks.

Colt double actions were always over rated. Most trouble free ones were the Trooper Mk III models and its cousins. Mk IV was a step backwards.

So I was contacted by Colt today and as it turns out they are replacing the entire firearm. We’ll okay then, not complaining I suppose.

This sort of stuff happens pretty often. It is easier for them to replace the gun than to replace the barrel. Maybe cheaper, certainly a better bet for what passes as "good customer service."

First, I am glad they are replacing the gun. That is a no nonsense response. Second, I have a new Python that I am pleasantly pleased with. However, I have not yet shot it. I have worked the action and found no problems. I plan on shooting it in the next several weeks. It will NOT become a safe queen.

That was a photo worthy of Hubble.

Good to hear you are getting the replacement. A lot of things are debatable about guns and cars and guitars etc, but that photo spoke for itself. I was gonna get the new Python and just liked the feel in my hand of the smaller 3 inch KC.

Your post got me peering into its barrel with a high intensity light but I can't find the L shaped magnifier thing....I haven't used it in years.

Anyway, I hope it works out perfect for you. I still think Colt makes a wonderful piece.

I’m pretty excited to get one back, this will not be a safe queen for me but it won’t be an everyday gun. It will come out for the occasional fair weather Sunday drive, and I also have this idea of bagging a deer with it. Sometimes where I hunt I get lucky and they come as close as about 15-25 yards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't say its a representative sample, but I know one local shop that has had 8 of the new "pythons" in the last year.

3 (three) of those guns got sent right back to Colt, because they were NOT functional mechanically. Brand new, right out of the box and they would NOT WORK at all.

So 3 of 8.... that's not a good thing.

The other five were sold and none of the customers has complained.

Even were I in the market, (and I'm not) I would not buy one of the new Pythons.
Wonder if they are pre or post CZ? CZ, when it comes to handguns, does not make any junk.

Back