2013 Whitetail success and lessons learned

So far, all six of my grand-kids (4 boys, 2 girls) old enough to hunt have been out with either their fathers or me. Only one, the oldest boy, has gotten a deer, but we're hoping for better results next season.

The three rifles they use are .243 Wins...a Rem 700, a Tikka T3 Lite, and an H&R Handi-Rifle. So far, the Handi-Rifle is the only one that got a deer, but it wasn't the guns fault in another instance. I didn't happen to be with any of them when shots were fired...bummer.

Glad she got a deer. Looks like you did learn a few things also. One of those was that a hit deer is NOT a dead deer. That's a major complaint I have with TV hunting shows. Very seldom does the hunter immediately reload and prepare for a followup. It's all "high fives" and back slapping.
When my kids started hunting, I made it a point to always have my rifle on the animal or ready to use in case a backup was needed. This year was Grandson's first deer and even though his shot dropped the doe on the spot(spine shot), I kept my rifle aimed until the flopping stopped.

Thanks for all the compliments on my daughter. The rifle is just a Stevens 200 with a cut down LOP to fit her. She shot a .308 for the first time a few months ago while out shooting with friends. A young 13 year old boy couldn't handle the recoil of his dad's new .308, so my daughter had to show him how to shoot it. She's been begging me for one, since so I traded for a nice Rem 700 Classic in .300 Savage, it's not a .308 but it's close enough. Hopefully she'll use that next year.

Now to some hunters thats not a picture of a trophy deer. But that is unmistakably a TROPHY SMILE on that young lady and therefore that qualifies that deer as a TROPHY.
You go girl!
Congrats on fine deer and a wonderful hunt with special memories. That trumps antlers every time.

Yeah that's a trophy smile, and diservingly so. Move her on up to a larger caliber dad...
What about .243, then 2506, then 300 Savage,,,,,,and so on.......I bet she could shoot super groups with that "two handled" Yugo.....

Congrats!

and to number 7 on your list I'd add,
7a) If you got a doe tag in your pocket and you plan to fill it before the season's out Don't wait and see if a buck is following that first doe you see - just shoot! (Cause that may be the only deer you get a shot at all season;-(

Back