2008 Presidential candidates position on gun rights

You can't organize a resistance even with the First Amendment. It would be treason to do so. You are going to have a real hard time explaining how organizing a plan to overthrow the govt would be covered by the 1st Amendment.
Freedom of the press and freedom of speech are what prevent the government from having complete and total dominance over all digital and analogue communications as well as public perception.

Without the first amendment there is nothing stopping them from controlling the internet and without the internet a resistance would fail against a government that can still communicate coast-to-coast instantly.

Without the first amendment there is nothing stopping them from controlling the public's opinion of our little resistance movement.
And if ever comes down to violent revolution, you won't need guns anyway. Look at how insurgents are fighting US soldiers in Iraq. That's how the next revolution would be fought. Home made bombs, roadside IEDs, etc.

You can't go toe to toe with US Army and expect to survive.
And those guys are communicating with each other. If they weren't able to use technology to communicate they wouldn't be nearly as effective.

And those guys are communicating with each other.

yes, but it is not through any constitutionally protected means.

The Constitution is only as good as the government serving it.

My point is that if you wait til revolution is at hand, don't expect the govt to honor any of your rights.

yes, but it is not through any constitutionally protected means.
Yet communication is still key. The government of Iraq is not as capable of controlling communication as ours would be.
The Constitution is only as good as the government serving it.

My point is that if you wait til revolution is at hand, don't expect the govt to honor any of your rights.
Agreed on both counts, my point is that we shouldn't sacrifice one right for another because without the 1st, 4th and 5th the 2nd is useless. How are you going to fight tyranny when you're killed and no one hears about it because the government controls the media and all communication networks? How are you going to fight tyranny when everyone thinks you're a "terrist" because you were wiretapped without a warrant and sent to a detention center as an enemy combatant?

You won't. You can't. And your guns will do you absolutely nothing but get you killed. By themselves guns are useless in fighting tyranny. Keeping the 2nd and ignoring the rest is as foolish as ignoring the 2nd and keeping the rest.

I don't know about the goverment controlling all the communications networks. I think in a crack down situation by a corrupt US Goverment, they would have a hard time. Either they would have to shut it all down and risk offending all, even those not involved with a rebellion. Or they would have to leave it up and really crack down on it.
And with all the current free flow of information from all kinds of sources I think that if they tried to squeeze it more would flow out of thier hands then they would be able to keep.

wow..that shocks me

I gave up trying to follow all the stuff for the elections. So Confused don,t know who to trust or how to vote. Hearing that John McCain is anti-gun , That is amazing,He is one of the few guys I kinda trust(scale 1-10.. 4 ). This is good info, because now i am going to check into it..Thanks

Back