$2000 to spend...Most accurate rifle

I know! Haha, I emailed them about that, asking if it would/could be released in right hand. Of course, they told me they couldn't say do to disclosure laws. I would buy one in a heart beat.
I did too, and got the same ridiculous answer.

Followup on this:

I was really looking hard at the RAP, but was wanting a little heavier round, the 7mm-08.

For some stupid reason, Ruger only offers the 7mm-08 in the left handed model of the RAP.

I noticed the Ruger American Rifle "Go Wild Camo" version had the same specifications as the Ruger American Predator, for barrel length (and threaded), weight, LOP, etc, but makes no mention of "Heavier tapered, threaded barrel" in the description of the RAP.

So I called Ruger customer service and asked them, is the "Go Wild Camo" just an American Predator with different finish? The answer was yes.

The good news is that it is available in 7mm-08, the bad news is that it is ~$80 more expensive.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleGoWild/specSheets/26923.html

Some have already mentioned Tikka and whether you buy one or not, you should check out several of their models and think carefully about the cartridge you want to use. I like the 7mm-08 and find it very accurate and powerful enough for most North American game, yet recoil and noise are moderate.

I have a Tikka in .223 and find that it's accurate as any of my "tuned" centerfires and it's a joy to carry in the field. The only thing that turned people off in the past was the "backward" safety, but the newest model has that changed and appears to be about the nicest factory rifle (for the money) around. For a "fall" hunting rifle in my area, I'd buy the Stainless model.

JP

Price is not an indicator of accuracy these days at all.
I have a friend from Nevada who owns two Ruger American he got at Sportsman's Warehouse on sales for very little money. One is a 257 Roberts and one is a 6.5CM Both shoot under 1/2 MOA and the 257 shoots 3/8" fairly regularly.
The Ruger American is often said to be a "budget rifle" yet they shoot as well or better than many rifles costing 10X more.

Price is not an indicator of accuracy these days at all.
I have a friend from Nevada who owns two Ruger American he got at Sportsman's Warehouse on sales for very little money. One is a 257 Roberts and one is a 6.5CM Both shoot under 1/2 MOA and the 257 shoots 3/8" fairly regularly.
The Ruger American is often said to be a "budget rifle" yet they shoot as well or better than many rifles costing 10X more.

Boy isn't this the truth. I have a Mossberg Patriot in 243 I got just to chek them out. It was $299 at Sportsman's in Bend, Ore but had a plastic stock. Hated the stock so went home and ordered a new stock from Mossberg, Seem's it was under $150. Got here and easy switch out, just dropped the barreled action into the wood stock and bolted it down. Worked up some loads with 70gr SMK's and tried them out. Best group was right at 1/2" @ 100yds! I haven't done a thing to the bedding or trigger, it just shoot's. Probably would have done the same thing with the plastic stock but I don't like plastic stock's! $2000 for an accurate rifle? How about $300!

Did you buy anything yet? Noticed this thread was resurrected.

Honestly, looking at your requirements, I thought of a 270 Win. I know traditional wisdom says it's doesn't' have the high BC bullets required to shoot long range, but go to Federal's website and compare the 140 Accubonds in these two cartridges or the 140/6.5 Fusion and the 150/270 Fusion and you'll see the 270 smokes the 6.5. The only downside is a little extra recoil. I suspect somewhere around 800, 900 yards the 6.5 finally surpasses it in some categories when comparing the 140 Accubonds, but it sounds like the 270 will be better in the vast majority of your shooting situations.

I'm not a 6.5 hater.. my precision rifle is a 260 Rem and it's awesome to shoot, but it's hard to argue with the numbers. 270 is a great round. I just built a new hunting rifle with the same basic format as my 260 (Savage action, B&C stock, Shilen match barrel) and I can't wait to shoot it. I won't be upset if it outshoots the 260, lol.

Last edited:
What is your definition of "most accurate?"

If rifle receiver stiffness is important for accuracy objectives, note the Winchester 70 receiver is near 3 times as stiff as the Remington 700 and other similar size repeating bolt action round receivers.

The 70's flat surfaces also resist twisting loose in bedding when shooting bullets heavier than 165 grains from excess barreled action torque.

I would get an old Model 70 then have it rebuilt with a new match barrel if a custom made one is wanted. Or get a new one then square up then rebarrel the receiver for epoxy bedding.

Last edited:
At the CMP Range in Talladega it was consistently shooting better than I was out to 300 yards. At 100 yards I was able to get a three shot group in the X ring, almost all overlapping.
How does any firearm shoot bullets better than we do? What's different further than 300 yards?

All rifles are capable of shooting three shot holes touching or overlapping. How often is what's meaningful.

How does any firearm shoot bullets better than we do? What's different further than 300 yards?

All rifles are capable of shooting three shot holes touching or overlapping. How often is what's meaningful.

The one that a better shooter shoot's right after us!

Back