$2000 Budget Two Gun Challenge

AK71

During the next 9-10 months I want to purchase two new handguns - one for my birthday and the other with bonus check money, which just happens to come around the time of a big gun show. I'm listing the guns to choose from with the following conditions:

1) One gun has to be a EDC candidate while the other can be a safe queen/show piece
2) You can choose the options (size, finish, caliber, variant/model - if not specified) but please list how much you reasonably expect to spend NIB
3) $2000 is the absolute maximum combined spending not including taxes/shipping
4) Only one 1911 and only one revolver but one of each is fine

Here's the choices:
Sig P22X (I love the Elite Stainless but anything else is fair game as well)
GP100 4"
686 4"
Beretta 92FS
CZ75/85
STI Trojan 5" (stainless strongly preferred but probably too expensive for the exercise)
Baby Desert Eagle - steel
Colt King Cobra
Other 1911 in the $700+ range made in the USA

Have at it!

Last edited:
i'd get a CM9/CW9 for EDC and that leaves you about what? 1500 for one or to more? thats a great amount for a nice 1911 or a CZ75 + a GP100.

I think I would look toward the 1911 platform for the EDC, to use a name you brought up, the Desert Eagle 1911 runs about $800 or so. That leaves $1200 +/- for a nice Python! Definitely doable.

Personally I think every one of your choices is far too large for a EDC, but I also dress mostly in jeans and a tshirt.

Also it's tough to recommend a gun when this is the criteria
2) You can choose the options (size, finish, caliber, variant/model

What specifically do you look for in a carry gun? Size, weight, trigger/action type, preferred caliber, frame material...

I guess I can start by recommending what I use. My dedicated carry gun is a Sig P232 .380 in stainless and my dedicated home defense pistol is a Beretta M9A1. Although since one of these pistols will be a safe queen like you said you really cant go wrong wit a nice 1911 for that application.

Personally I think every one of your choices is far too large for a EDC

That is a concern but I figured people had choices within the 1911 category and have the "carry" options for many of the Sigs and a few others.

Also it's tough to recommend a gun when this is the criteria
Quote:
2) You can choose the options (size, finish, caliber, variant/model
What specifically do you look for in a carry gun? Size, weight, trigger/action type, preferred caliber, frame material...

These will be your guns at the end of the day (as far as the exercise) so you get to make those choices. I want to learn what others would choose given my general restrictions. I'm pretty new to guns but have picked some makes I like - the options are where I need the most help.

Baby Desert Eagle and 1911. However, you never listed any Walthers. EDC = PPK and the PPQ is hard to beat by any platform.

That is a concern but I figured people had choices within the 1911 category and have the "carry" options for many of the Sigs and a few others.

Even then those choices are still rather large for my liking. The Sig 229 although smaller than the 226 is still a beefy gun. It's just as thick, only the barrel and grip are slightly shorter. Not something I would carry day in and day out concealed. As far as smaller 1911's, they have never been able to get them to run as reliably as full sized.

I want to learn what others would choose given my general restrictions. I'm pretty new to guns but have picked some makes I like - the options are where I need the most help

Since you are in the market for two handguns, the best advice I could give you is to do yourself a favor and get something small and easy to carry, especially since your second handgun will be a full size. Makes no sense to have two full sized handguns when one is intended for daily carry. It's always enticing to want to carry a full sized gun like the ones you listed, but I found out real quick that carrying a full size and going about your normal day to day activities is just way too much of a hassle and you are forced to alter your lifestyle somewhat. You have to dress around your gun day in day out, and I found myself having to remove my holster and lock my gun up in the car more often than not when doing simple things like tossing the ball around at the park with my buddies. Plus you could always carry your full size on days you feel like it, so picking up a mall concealable gun is a win win.

When choosing both guns, make sure you are familiar with the platforms. I would start with trigger type. Realize that out of all the guns you listed the triggers differ vastly, make sure you know what you like before buying one.

- DA/SA (Berettas, Sigs, CZ) - First trigger pull will be a long double action pull similar to a revolver. Essentially what you are doing with a double action trigger is cocking the hammer and dropping it all in one pull, hence the term double action. After the first shot the slide retracts automatically cocking the hammer for all subsequent shots giving you a light crisp single action pull. So say you have a Beretta 92 with 15 rounds, for the first round the trigger pull will be a heavy double action trigger, the next 14 rounds will be a light single action trigger.

- DAO - Every shot will be a long double action pull.

- Striker Fired (Glocks, XD's, M&P's, SR9, etc..)- No hammer, there is a spring loaded striker or firing pin that is basically cocked and set to firing position when the slide is retracted.

- SAO (1911's) - All shots are fired in single action, gun is carried with hammer back and saftey on. If you are not comfortable carrying a gun with the hammer cocked back at all times, even with a saftey, I would stay away from the 1911.

I would personally recommend any of these for carry guns.

For small very easily concealed guns I would look at the Ruger LCP or LC9, Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 or Shield, Smith & Wesson J frame revolvers or Ruger LCR, Kahr PM9 or CM9 or P380, Sig 232 or 238...

For slightly larger but easily concealed check out Glock 26 or 27, Smith & Wesson M&P9C or 40C, Springfield XD compact, Ruger SR9C or 40C, Sig 239...

Last edited:
Were it me, I'd go with a nice 1911 for EDC, I'd want officer or commander size to carry (I carry a Commander sized 1911 currently and love it). The other would be a GP100 or 686. That should come to less than $2k pretty easily.

If you can get nice 1911 and the Colt revolver under $2K... I'd maybe do that.

I'm not clear on the wording, but does that violate your criteria #4? Regardless, that's how I'd spend my money. Have fun spending it whatever you choose!

A couple of quick replies: I do have an XD9 and I meant only one revolver and one 1911 but one of each is fine (that was confusing sorry!)

Out of those its easy. The smith and wesson 686 and the baby eagle in 9mm. and you still have 700 to spare on ammo

First off, I carry a CZ-75BD as an EDC both open and concealed. With it's slender frame, it actually conceals nicely, and in 9mm that's 16+1 plus whatever spare mags you have. That would be one- although finding one NIB would be kinda tough.

I also love a good revolver, but I tend to prefer the older ones. Of the ones you listed, I would try to pick up the Colt King Cobra, but were it MY money, I'd look for a Smith and Wesson K frame in VG to Excellet condition.

Between the two, I'd think you'd spend $600-$750 on the CZ and the Smith, and maybe $1000-$1200 on the Colt. If you do well, you should still have some coin left for ammo/holsters.

Last edited:
$500 can get you a Springfield XDS for EDC...

Which leaves about $1500 for a 1911.... which I would go with a nice STI, either Duty One, or Lawman? OR a Springfield TRP.

Skip the TRP. I like the RangeOfficerr much better.
But if it don't fit you must quit. FInd the gun that fits you properly and then work on budget. An EDC is to important to shortcut.
But I would get another 1911 and another 686 run me about 2000,00.

I'd buy a Walther PPS in 9mm and with the rest of the money, say $1,400, I'd buy a nice 1911. Perhaps a Springfield TRP or any other 1911 that strikes your fancy. Once you spend around $1,000 on 1911, they are all pretty damn nice.

Back