20 moa scope base or flat?

I'm not sure what $60 mount you have put together, but I would look at TPS, EGW, and Seekins to get you up and running.

I use Warne for hunting rifles, but still think I'm OOP about $80 on sale for those.

I'm guessing a 20 MOA base would help your situation at 1000. Do you dial wind or hold. Holding wind when dialing can simplify things. A Christmas Tree reticle can help you use all your scope has to offer. You could dial 20 MOA, then hold the last 10 MOA + wind with a christmas tree reticle.

I know that sounds stupid expensive from a scope side and it can be if you want to spot a gnat's a$$, but the Athlon Argos will get you there for a decent price, I hear.

I take impact as meaning something hitting something--hammer head on nail head--or aircraft encountering solid ground, bullet contacting target. Recoil hit in a rifle I take to be more of a "system" force absorption. Slack or asymmetry in the system can conceivably cause loose tolerance which can result in a "hammering" effect over time.
Didn't think my use of "impact" would mislead you, that's my bad.

Instead, I'll use the term "force" which lasts a couple thousandths of a second. It starts with the primer burning the powder creating gas that accelerates bullets down the barrel. The equal and opposite force pushes the rifle back several feet per second. It stops after the gas pressure in the barrel is zero. There's formula online to calculate what your stuff does.

It's able to make the barrel and scope unsupported ends whip and vibrate at their resonant and harmonic frequencies. It's well demonstrated by this site showing what happens....

https://www.varmintal.com/amode.htm

Note how the scope ends whip much like the barrel does.

Last edited:
Egads....:rolleyes:

Shadow9mm,
I use EGW aluminium one piece bases with 20 MOA on almost every rifle i own.
The exceptions being my 2 Ruger 77's that have the dovetail.

They will work just fine on everything from 25 yards to 1,000 yards.
Get base, receiver, screws, and holes good & clean. I use the low strength Purple Loctite on the screws, and torque to recommendations from EGW.

I use Vortex Viper low rings. Torqued to 20 inch lbs.
Will handle any of my scopes including my 50mm objective.

thanks a ton! i did order the rail. I have Leuopold rifleman low rings. I will clean everything well, i use blue loctite, and will torque the base and the rings to 20 in lb per their specs and let it set 24hrs before i try to shoot it.

Back