20 gauge vs .50 muzzleloader

I cant say you're wrong there, steel.
I could try a little harder at 100 than i have. granted im not the best shooter, but i'd like to think im competent enough with it. im sure it/i could shoot better. I dont take insult to any of that btw. input is always appreciated

When I used the word "shooter" in my previous post, I intended it to mean the hardware. A dead nuts accurate gun is a really good "shooter". I was not referring to the person pulling the trigger. I see how easy I can be unclear in my word choices. I place the cross hairs right smack dab on that cross I make with the black tape and squeeze the rounds off. Making it quite easy to minimize error when holding on target. That Savage is no ordinary shotgun. It's really more of a bolt action, highly accurate, 20ga "rifle". And it is one sure "shooter". So was my first H&R, but at half the distance. The muzzleloaders I actually shoot against during sight-in days, no way come close to my 20ga ( out at distance ). Some of them are very accurate out to 100, but at 150, 165 I easily leave them behind. My stressing "200" in all my posts is because we have a blind setup in a particular location and the well established deer trail intersections are 200 yards away.

The 20 gaugeisgoing to shoot a heavier slug 260 grains +/- at 1600 fps or more. The .50 cal. MLer is going to shoot a 173 grain .490 round ball at 1600-1900 fps depending on the powder charge. The lighter round ball will shed its velocity more quickly than the heavier slug. The edge goes to the 20 gauge slug gun. Pete _______

In my area you can only muzzleloader hunt with bullets. No RB. A 375-425g bullet or Minie will easily out shoot a RB and we'll have far more retained energy at 200 yards.

My 32" 1in48 twist barreled .50 caplock shoots a 395g bullet @1700 fps/2535 ft-lbs with 150 FFF. Zerod at 125 yards it's 2.5" high at 50 yards, 2.1" high at 100 yards, -3.5" at 150 yards and -15.50" at 200. There is 990 ft-lbs retained energy at 200 yards.

My most accurate load for this rifle is 130 grains FFF @1600 fps.

I think this is actually a pretty good match up for the 20 gauge.

But now that it's been brought up, inside a paper plate @100 doesn't sound like a good shooter to me.
My second shot hits the same hole and a couple more shots makes a clover leaf.
Benched, I presume? ;)

Yes benched. Well aimed and well supported at both ends to minimize error. And in good weather as well. Just want to be sure the hardware is dialed in. Prove the gun & ammo are well suited and solid then it's up to me in the field. I generally have some support when hunting be it a tree branch, window in a wooden box blind of some sort or shooting sticks. Seeing and knowing the hardware is quite capable makes me feel better before hunting season. I guess I strive for that one-hole-wonder from shooting steel chickens with a .22 rimfire.

@steelchickenshooter i know what you meant. no worries:)
i did shoot at a range with a bench. only the front supported. i use a nikon prostaff 2x7x32. the front was supported by an ammo can with my hand in between

I guess I strive for that one-hole-wonder from shooting steel chickenswith a .22 rimfire.

Ha ha... I used to shoot those with my little CVA .32 Squirrel rifles. I've got a lefty and a righy pair. Both will shoot cloves at 50 yards easy. The kids shoot bottle caps at 50 yards from cross sticks. I'll have to get some of those little chicken targets again( for the kids of course;) ).

Boomer

Yah!

Quote:
The 20 gaugeisgoing to shoot a heavier slug 260 grains +/- at 1600 fps or more. The .50 cal. MLer is going to shoot a 173 grain .490 round ball at 1600-1900 fps depending on the powder charge. The lighter round ball will shed its velocity more quickly than the heavier slug. The edge goes to the 20 gauge slug gun. Pete _______
In my area you can only muzzleloader hunt with bullets. No RB. A 375-425g bullet or Minie will easily out shoot a RB and we'll have far more retained energy at 200 yards.

My 32" 1in48 twist barreled .50 caplock shoots a 395g bullet @1700 fps/2535 ft-lbs with 150 FFF. Zerod at 125 yards it's 2.5" high at 50 yards, 2.1" high at 100 yards, -3.5" at 150 yards and -15.50" at 200. There is 990 ft-lbs retained energy at 200 yards.

My most accurate load for this rifle is 130 grains FFF @1600 fps.

I think this is actually a pretty good match up for the 20 gauge.

Can't argue with that. Pretty hot load.
I shoot flintlocks and I only use round ball so I tend to forget that there are heavier projectiles.
Pete

Back